Installed a 190 rear.

miketriebsch

Yea the more I ride it, I wouldn't suggest the 190. Big performance difference. Topped it out last night by speedo and only read 127. Not only that but it got squirrelly at that speed and made me think twice of running 127 real fast lol. So at this point only pros are looks and height.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Gixerhp

First off like stated earlier, the tire is too big for the rim period!
Secondly that Dunlop Take-off race tire, is a very sticky tire, and if your not running the front as well as the rear, you are more dangerous, than just the tire size being a problem.

If you put too much force on the bead of the tire, the seal will break! The beead now on a 4.5 inch rim is not sealing correctly!

Brock Kickass

First off like stated earlier, the tire is too big for the rim period!
Secondly that Dunlop Take-off race tire, is a very sticky tire, and if your not running the front as well as the rear, you are more dangerous, than just the tire size being a problem.

If you put too much force on the bead of the tire, the seal will break! The beead now on a 4.5 inch rim is not sealing correctly!
...so why WOULDN'T you top speed test it? I'm just blown away at the chances people will take.

JSP

Super Moderator
...so why WOULDN'T you top speed test it? I'm just blown away at the chances people will take.

When else would you want to have a catastrophic failure...? At 5 mph? Pssshhh! :rolleyes: :D If you gonna do it, do it big. That's what they will say at your funeral at least probably. ;)

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

DakinechicK

YiKeS. :rolleyes:

Oh, I have a question. Do you at least FEEL cooler/sexier because of this fatty tire??? (We all know it's NOT for performance reasons.. so don't try and fool yourself or us with such)

Because even that won't matter when you wreck yourself for trying to fit such a tire on a bike that it's in NO way intended for.

Much love. :thumbup:

miketriebsch

Ok first thing I'd like to say is I do not need to here the I told you so, I knew it was dangerous and I took the risk, because I am frugal and haven't heard anything negative about the 190 so I figure why not. Then I'd give anyone that's curious a full report. Well I'm here to say by first hand experience that today is the first day I've been able to walk due to a nice wreck because of the tire. I've been riding my entire life so please don't feel that your skill is high enough like I did, to take the risk and ride on a 190. It is not worth it. Thank you for reading and goodnight.

miketriebsch

Well you know I just told myself I'd be careful and be easy in the corners, and still didn't work out. Really didn't help the tire was as hard as a rock and as cold as a witches tits with a brass bra in the middle of winter. :)

bleedinblue

Elite Member

Brock Kickass

People come in to my shop wanting to screw with wheel/tire sizes all the time. I try to explain to them that these machines are very complicated, and designed the way they are for a reason. I'm not an engineer, and am not smarter than the engineers who designed these machines the way they did.
I am sorry to hear you had to learn the hard way, but must point out that this situation was preventable; several people who don't even know you went out of their way to offer good advice. That's neither here nor there now, though, just happy to hear you weren't killed.
If anything can come of this, I hope the next person thinking about doing this reads this thread and learns something from it. These bikes are very sophisticated machines and all of the parts are specifically designed to work together to make the bike work properly. I'm not against mods, and there are lots of great ones to do that will improve looks and performance, but be careful and do your homework. Modding your bike (or car) can seriously change the way it handles, and if you don't know what you're doing you could badly hurt yourself or somebody else.

miketriebsch

I knew the risk going into the 190 rear but truly felt I could handle it. As I did for a week. I had already had it slide out from under me in two corners and kept it from goin down and at that point decided to get rid of it on my next day off but this particular day it was cold and was taking it easy in the corners because of it, but as I leaned in for my turn the rear lost traction and spun around me faster than an alligator on a chicken in a swamp lol. So I low sided it in the corner and slid right off the road after doing a 360. The damage was all to one side, breaking my bar end mirror off and just cosmetics on everything but my transmission, when I drove it home the shifter wouldn't go back into place without me forcing it back up or down and has free play. What's weird it it doesn't look damaged. I'll tear it down next week.

Bloke

On the plus side, hopefully the mishap you had has happened before anyone else saw the thread and thought "well he's finding it alright and I have one lying around anyway..."

Sorry to hear it turned out bad though after you had decided to take it off. :( get well soon.

Fizzer6R

Well, thanks for being honest, sorry you found out the hard way - heal up and take care.
yeah, mike could've felt too embarrassed to post and admit what happened. good thing it wasn't at high speed and worse

i think another sad fact is that a guy races AMA helped in this incident. just because you can ride a bike faster than some, sure as hell doesn't make you a qualified mechanic. rider is responsible for what they do on their bike, but this guy should've been trying to talk you out of it, and certainly not give you a hand in it

DakinechicK

Sorry you wrecked, but I think this.....

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

....is pretty well deserved. :)

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

skyrider1977

The manual says 4.5".

Don't think it's different outside the US, but might be.

Are you thinking about the R6?
I have a 180 mounted on my bike and it works fine. My rim is at least 5.0 or maybe even closer to 5.5 depending on if you measure to the very outside of the lip. Either the manual is retarded or the guy I got the bike from put a wider rim on it.

Attachments