In Need of New Tires

buzzbomb

Elite Member

CrazyCawi

I honestly hope this isn't like another oil thread. I strongly suspect it is, though. Please forgive me. I've read so much that it all kinds of blends together into a blurry, unsatisfying mass of information that closely resembles the worst scifi monstrosity you can imagine. Kind of a gigantic bulbous mass that just eats everything in sight. That kind of monster. So I find it necessary to ask...

My bike has the stock Bridgestones. They actually seemed to do pretty well for me. I ran them over-inflated, and it killed them. Some time ago, I dropped the inflation to be per manual.

Unfortunately, it was too late. I'm reaching wear marks at tread-level. Those of you who know me, know I make nothing for money. Cash is a serious consideration. My next quarterly bonus should net me around $300 bucks.

I want to use that bonus to buy new tires. I commute on my bike. I also ride hard on my bike, as often as I can get to some twisties. Being perfectly honest here, since my skin and my bike is involved... I ride harder and push things more than I generally admit. I'd be more comfortable if I had knee pucks on the way to work, because I have a hard time keeping my knee in. We won't talk about when I run the twisties.

Unfortunately for my preferred riding style, the roads around here are mostly straight and will wear a strip down the center of a tire quicker than a beer disappears on a night off.

I'm looking for a budget tire that won't wear quickly in the center, and is still sticky enough on the sides that I won't kill myself when I'm having fun on that awesome road above Rockingham, NC that I'm about to run tomorrow. Where I get a little "spirited" and have to count on the rubber saving my precious backside.

I'm all about personal research. I'm asking for opinions because I need them. Thanks.
whats your budget?

CrazyCawi

Shinko or Kenda make excellent budget tires. I would suggest sport demon touring from Pirelli for your type of riding, otherwise with the shinko's I would recommend the tour master 230

Detrich

What about Bridgestone BT023's? Should be a similar replacement to stock tires- ie a decent all around touring tire.

Last season I got a pair of new Q2's installed for the 6R for a total of $309. The 6R's odd rear size, however, might make the Bridgestones cost slightly more.

Dustin600

The tires that came with my bike were Dunlop Roadsmart tires. I think they are great all purpose tires with good rain traction and cornering capabilities. I also commute 80 miles daily. The rear tire wore out at 8,000 miles so I replaced it with the same tire. The front is still in great shape. I got the rear tire from Motorcycle Superstore and it shipped FREE. $155.00 for rear and $125.00 for the rear on that site. Thats under your $300 limit. The tires shipped to my door within 3 days.

Front Tire
Dunlop Roadsmart Sport Touring Front Tire - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Rear Tire
Dunlop Roadsmart Sport Touring Rear Tire - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

Chevyfazer

Shinko 009 ravens FTW!!! There isn't a tire out there that can come close to the performance it offers mileage and handling wise for the price.

RoadTrip

Angels were the most reccommended ST tire at one point, but now I see a lot of 'buzz' about the Z8's - not cheap, but should give you the sportiest, least harsh ride, in a long lasting tire. Some ST's are geared toward heavier bikes and come off harsh, Z8's appear to be good for lighter sportbikes.

darksidefz6r

If the OE bridge stones sufficed for you then imo about anything is an upgrade. Since you want to spend the $300 bonus, or less of course, might I recommend the Continental Continue Motions. I have been running these for about 1k miles and really like these for a St tire. Have not rode in wet weather since we have been in a drout but even dry rodes the traction is far better than the OE BS's. I bought them and had them mounted and balanced for right at $241 granted I took the wheels off the bike myself and just took them in. Check out the link for prices depending on if you want to stay with the same size rear or go to a 170 prices are between $170-$180 for BOTH tires.

Continental Conti Motion Sport Touring Radial Tires - Z-Rated - Package Specials: Checkout: May we suggest: Tire Express

I got a nail in my stock Bridgestones and I upgraded to the Bridgestone BT-016's. The set was $196.00 from Chaparral Motorsports - Motorcycle Parts and Motorcycle Gear

Once I got them scrubbed in I can really notice a difference. They aren't going to last as long as the sport touring, but they aren't going to be toast on 2000 miles either. I think they're a great "middle-of-the-road" tire.

Fizzer6R

if you were happy with the stock Bridgestones, then get their next series up in performance and you'll get a little more sticky w/o loosing much mileage

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

SAFE-T

I got a nail in my stock Bridgestones and I upgraded to the Bridgestone BT-016's. The set was $196.00 from Chaparral Motorsports - Motorcycle Parts and Motorcycle Gear

Once I got them scrubbed in I can really notice a difference. They aren't going to last as long as the sport touring, but they aren't going to be toast on 2000 miles either. I think they're a great "middle-of-the-road" tire.
Pretty common to get 3,000-5,000 miles if that's good enough for you. The BT-016 on my VFR800 was the fastest-wearing rear tire I have had in years.

SAFE-T

A lot of bikes use the same size tire as the FZ6R ~ I got a free set of nearly new Avon Azaro's from a guy who got them on his Motard bike and wanted to put some race rubber on for the track. I also bought a set of nearly new Dunlop Qualifiers from an R6 for $100 that way. If there are any racetracks in your area, you might be able to get race takeoffs as well ~ they will be worn on the sides, but still have lots left in the middle ~ tires like Bridgestone BT003's, Micheline Pilot Power's and Pirelli SuperCorsa's can go for as little as $50 a set. You could buy two sets and sell one rear tire for $30 and have two-three seasons worth of tires for $70.

Pretty common to get 3,000-5,000 miles if that's good enough for you. The BT-016 on my VFR800 was the fastest-wearing rear tire I have had in years.
Thanks, that's great to know. I think 3-4K would be good.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

motoguy82

I just put on Michelin Pilot Road 2's. After taking off on them for the first time I can tell the bike wants to turn much more quickly now. Probably a combination of different profile in general and the lack of flat enter wear. 230 euro installed. Even if a bit pricy, worth the lack of hassle with shipping to where I'm at. Hope I get good mileage out of them...got 11200 km on stockers.

killabee

Need some advice....

This is my first bike and I'm clueless when it comes to motorcycle tires. I'm coming up on 8K miles on my bike. Still have the stock tires. I mainly use my bike to commute to work which is 95% flat highway riding. I rarely take the bike out on weekends because those are dedicated to wifey time. I plan to stick to the OEM tire sizes.

Got any suggestions for new tire? Looking to spend no more than $300 for both front and rear.

Thanks in advance.

vengeance44

well i put on the michelin pilot power didnt real choose the tire size i had my bike naked for a time and the dealership thought it was a fz8 so they tossed on a 180/55 cant say i was disappointed i actually like how they feel and grip pretty well i mostly do commuting so they are barely starting to create a flat spot but thats from going to laughlin and back i think i put 4500 miles on them and they still look like they can last for plenty of more miles the stock tires i had on my bike were the dunlop roadsmart i hated this tire it always slipped on me in the rain it had bad traction to they only lasted 4000 miles too.

efforex

I honestly hope this isn't like another oil thread. I strongly suspect it is, though. Please forgive me. I've read so much that it all kinds of blends together into a blurry, unsatisfying mass of information that closely resembles the worst scifi monstrosity you can imagine. Kind of a gigantic bulbous mass that just eats everything in sight. That kind of monster. So I find it necessary to ask...

My bike has the stock Bridgestones. They actually seemed to do pretty well for me. I ran them over-inflated, and it killed them. Some time ago, I dropped the inflation to be per manual.

Unfortunately, it was too late. I'm reaching wear marks at tread-level. Those of you who know me, know I make nothing for money. Cash is a serious consideration. My next quarterly bonus should net me around $300 bucks.

I want to use that bonus to buy new tires. I commute on my bike. I also ride hard on my bike, as often as I can get to some twisties. Being perfectly honest here, since my skin and my bike is involved... I ride harder and push things more than I generally admit. I'd be more comfortable if I had knee pucks on the way to work, because I have a hard time keeping my knee in. We won't talk about when I run the twisties.

Unfortunately for my preferred riding style, the roads around here are mostly straight and will wear a strip down the center of a tire quicker than a beer disappears on a night off.

I'm looking for a budget tire that won't wear quickly in the center, and is still sticky enough on the sides that I won't kill myself when I'm having fun on that awesome road above Rockingham, NC that I'm about to run tomorrow. Where I get a little "spirited" and have to count on the rubber saving my precious backside.

I'm all about personal research. I'm asking for opinions because I need them. Thanks.
Quite honestly i like my bt-023's i have put over a couple thousand miles on them and with some sport riding mixed with commuting i have yet to show signs of chicken stripping them. On a positive note they seem to grip really really well in turns. warm up and cool quickly