I am looking at new tires

cbzdel

Anyone have any input for me?

My criteria:
-My bike is my only form of personal transportation (wife has a car, I dont) meaning I am a year round all weather rider (even was out in snow/ice)
-My majority of riding is on the freeway
-In the nice spring/summer/fall I head to the twistys maybe once a month for a group ride.
-All in all my riding is mostly straight

What do you have for me?? I also want to get the most life possible out of the tires, not something that is gone in a 6 months such as these stocker tires haha!

Also what are you thought on a wider rear? It will provide more contact area, so does that mean it will wear out slower, OR does that mean a larger area will wear out just as fast??

Thanks!

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have any actual specific tires to recommend as far as brand, that will be up to you to decide. However, what I will tell you is to get the dual-compound tires. They are made from two different density rubbers. Stiffer more durable rubber in the center of the tire for mostly straight riding/commuting. Softer rubber on the outsides of the tire for better grip in the twisties. This type of tire should give you the best of both worlds: traction for the occasional twisty mayhem and long tire life for commuting.

Now you just have to pick a brand and give us a review. :thumbup:

joloy133

I researched tires for future purposes and the "michelin pilot road 2" were unanimously picked as outstanding tires. ( Using google and following threads, just getting info.) Both the Dunlop roadsmart and Bridgestones that came stock with our bikes were also rated well, except for the track. The newer Dunlop Q2 is something I'm considering as I rarely go out on wet days. FWIW

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Hearing a lot of good about the new Pilot Road 2's. It's a dual compound which is great for slabbing with a harder rubber in the center that will last miles and miles, then a softer compound on the sides that grip for sport riding.

angelsneverlose

Hearing a lot of good about the new Pilot Road 2's. It's a dual compound which is great for slabbing with a harder rubber in the center that will last miles and miles, then a softer compound on the sides that grip for sport riding.
this is actually better then my above recommendation since i just read you dont need tires for heavier sport riding...

the power pures are for heavier street riding and track use... not for getting 10K plus miles out of them...

Bigevildoer

I've read alot of good things about the Pirelli Diablo Rosso tires...
Most common thing between professional riders was that they stick like crazy, but tend to give a harsher ride, and that they show very minimal signs of wear even after hard use on-track testing.

Superzoom

Are our stock tires the Bridgestone BT 021's?

If so, they are a dual compound tire and they seem to get pretty good reviews. I guess we're always looking for the next "best" thing, but I think the BT 021's are good, all-purpose tires.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member
Last edited:

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

angelsneverlose

Get the Pilot road 2's rear OP w/ pilot power front!

i have this combo on my FZ6R now and its amazing! The rear is supposed to last 8K-10K miles, even on the highway everyday, but with softer sidewalls, you can still confidently attack the twisty's on the weekend ;). Ive dragged with these already and haven't had any problems at all... SO MUCH BETTER THEN STOCKERS!

JonKerr

Elite Member

Grinch79

The dealer and tech/mechanic advised me that I could fit up to a 170 on the back if we wanted to go larger but that is where it needed to stop based on the space available.

I didn't really know much of the difference based on performance, this being my first and only bike I've ever owned I just figured the wider tire looked so much better.

Heineken

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

angelsneverlose

i cant stress it enough! Get the pilot roads 2's, w/ a pilot power front. This combo is great and perfect for your needs! The rear i lasting 8K miles for some because of the dual compound w/ a hard center, but soft sides (that double the mileage of the others being recommended). The front never wears out first, so thats why you get a little stickier pilot power. The pilot Road 2's use softer sides which is the exact same compound as the pilot power front, which is why you can miss match... I mean they use pilot powers for the track, so they are obviously sticker, and its the same as this pilot road two, only the road 2 has a hard center. PS, i put the 170 size rear and love it, and it doesn't cause me any issues as all!

i just put 1K miles on mine and they are still great w/ no signs of wear. the turn in is amazing, and i love knowing they will last even after doing 60 miles of highway a day. Plus when you decide to have fun, the softer sides all you to lean as far as you want, even drag knee if you can get that far (i have and pushed them very hard w/o issues).

Last edited:

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I'm getting pretty close to the wear indicators, so I will be getting some new shoes in the next couple weeks.

I plan on going with the Metzeler Sportec M3 for both the front and rear tires. I have heard some really good reviews for them, and this generation tire is lasting longer than the previous M1 tires, and it boasts better traction in wet conditions without compromising the dry traction. When I felt the tires at the dealership the other day, it was like fly paper, it wouldn't let my hand go! :rolleyes:

JonKerr

Elite Member