Homemade GoPro HEAD MOUNT!

JSP

Super Moderator
So, I kind of put mounting my GoPro pole to my bike on hold for a few. I decided I really wanted a head mount while OFF of my bike. Want to use this for going fishing, on the boat, hiking, playing around, anything.

GoPro sells a head strap for $15, but I am cheap. I made mine for 85 cents. :D

I took my favorite lucky fishing hat and mounted a curved GoPro mount to it by drilling 2 counter sunk holes and used 2 6-32 bolts and nylon locking nuts. I think it turned out great! The camera is very sturdy and there is not shaking or anything. I jogged up and down my stairs and it worked perfect.

It is a little top heavy on my head, but nothing that you cannot get used to. I love it!

Some pics. I will most likely put 2 more screws in it just for piece of mind, but its extremely sturdy as is.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I can just pop the camera off of the mount if I do not want it on there. :cool:

I am going fly fishing tomorrow and am definitely going to use the camera. Hope I catch some good ones with it on!

Dig it! GoPro FTW!

get sum fishinz in for me I wanna seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Off to go fishin with it! Keep in mind when watching the vid that this is only my second time ever fly fishing haha. Technique may be a bit sloppy. :). It is for sure a whole different world than I an used to. It's fun though. Wish me luck. Will post a vid this evening. It may just end up being a blooper real.

Well damn... Didnt catch shiiiiiit! One little 4" but that of course was after my battery died. Head cam worked great though. Ill put together a little vid showing the scenery on river. Wish i could have caught something on it though. Once i get back to my normal fishing on my boat ill get some fish.

Last edited:
And here is me NOT catching anything... :( Camera works great though! Will come in handy for sure!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1nENiIrnXQ]Homemade GoPro head mount/Fly fishing - YouTube[/ame]

I got the white thing with mine too, what is it and how do you use it? I am usually good at figuring that stuff out, but couldn't. I see where it is in the pics, but I don't get it. :(

You have to squish it between the mounts like you see in the pics. It stops the mounts from vibrating together which will put an annoying clicking in your audio/vibration in video. It is also to help "lock" in the camera to the mount.

Put the mount on first and THEN squish the white thing in there. You will see where it goes. Kind of a pain sometimes to get it pushed in though.

Thats why I like the suction cup mount so much when using it on the bike, no need for it. You can change camera positions super quick.

Last edited:

I have to give Jay all the credit for this one...I decided to make a hat mount as well....

425755e4-66d1-1931.jpg
425755e4-66dd-bf5d.jpg

Thanks Jay for the idea, plan on using this a lot.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using Tapatalk 2

Haha awesome man!!!! :thumbup:

Back