Hey guys! New member, soon-to-be FZ6R owner! Need some advice.

coolfir3pwnz

Welcome to the forum. hey one question, why are you paying for the MSF course when with the Army is totally free?
Well, the thing with the BRC through the military is that they don't supply the bikes and you'd need your own in order to take the course. This would force me into a time crunch, and this is a decision I don't want to rush. Also, I'll be damned if I drop my bike at the MSF lol.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Fizzer6R

stay out of the dealerships. buy used and save $, and you also won't cry as much when you drop it. get a bike that already has some scratches on it

coolfir3pwnz

stay out of the dealerships. buy used and save $, and you also won't cry as much when you drop it. get a bike that already has some scratches on it
Yeah, the more and more I think about it, a used bike seems best. There's a used 2012 raven with 1600 miles going for 6300. Best part is that its 20 min from my parent's place in CT. If I buy within CT, I won't have to worry about registration, etc and my OTD price will be just that. Stupid federal holidays lol, why is everything closed? :p

coolfir3pwnz

Yeah, the more and more I think about it, a used bike seems best. There's a used 2012 raven with 1600 miles going for 6300. Best part is that its 20 min from my parent's place in CT. If I buy within CT, I won't have to worry about registration, etc and my OTD price will be just that. Stupid federal holidays lol, why is everything closed? :p
Spoke to the dealer for the used FZ6R. Using AnthonyFZ6R's advice, he offered me 6400 OTD. Gonna go take a casual look at the bike, look for scratches, paint chipping, etc and let him know I'm just stopping by and that I'm having a look at some other places as well. Not trying to beat him up over the price until its time to buy, though. Theres also the matter of that place thats selling a new 2012 for 5900. Have not spoken with that dealer yet since they're closed on Mondays, but that is something I am looking into as well. After all this, I'm realizing that the first dealer I was looking at was playing me like a fool, lol. Thoughts, gents? :facepalm:

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member
Last edited:

06330i

Here's what they're going for in my area: Yamaha 2010 FZ6R

I've seen most go for around 4800-5100 in great shape with low miles. Also do any of the dealerships in your area offer discount for military?

coolfir3pwnz

Took a look at the used 2012, it's got 1700 or so miles on it, in great physical condition, and it's got OES frame sliders on it (the dude had no idea that the bike had been modded lol). The only things I disliked were that the bike had some dirt on it, there were stickers under the rear grab bar that said "600cc" on both sides, and that the seat felt a bit too high (was unable to flat foot) but I know that the seat height is adjustable. He offered 6380 OTD, 6k for the bike plus sales tax and I told him that I'd think about it. Ideally, I'd like to pay $6k but I'd be okay with $6200 and some freebies, like a bike cover lol. I'm really just waiting for my dad to get back from business in about 2 weeks because he's a darn good negotiator. Works in sales, after all. I'm confident in myself, but I'd just feel a whole lot better if my dad was with me. The best part about the used bike is that it's located 20 miles from my house, where I'll be garaging it until I get licensed and everything. There's still the matter of the dealer that's got an ad up for a brand new 2012 for 5900, who I'll be calling later on and if his OTD is within $200 of the other dealer, then there's no point in making the trip because it's going to cost me more than $200 in gas, transporting the bike, sales tax, getting it registered in CT, etc. I'm still looking at 250s, trying to keep an open mind, but I think I've pretty much got my heart set.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

coolfir3pwnz

If you didn't notice a big gap under the front seat, it means it's already in the low position. How tall are you ? I had to lower it front and rear to be able to be able to get my feet 1/2 day down, but I'm only 5'3.
I'm 5'8/5'9 depending on the day. You know what? You guys are a lot more experienced than I am and know what's best when it comes to riding. As much as it sucks to say this, I'm going to go with a 300cc. I'd much rather get comfortable riding at first and then upgrade when I feel ready. I was letting my ego make the decision, haha.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

coolfir3pwnz

So I'm looking on cycletrader and within my search area, there are only 250s and a 500.

Here are my options:
- 2012 Kawi Ninja 250R, Black, 3017 mi, $3690
- 2010 Kawi Ninja 250R, Red, 311mi, $3690
- 2008 Kawi Ninja 500R, Black, 3973mi, $3490
- 2008 Hyosung GT250R, Black, 6321mi, $2499

How many miles is too much?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member