Help me buy a car

yfz6r

Advice on buying a car

I need to get a different car this summer. I love my stealth and it is as sexy as CC's 6r but I need something more practical.

My budget is 6k.

Dependability and low maintenance is my main concern (Yamaha needs to make cars).

I know people always say get a toyota or honda but they are friggin expensive.

After a lot of research, I think I would like a Chevy cobalt sedan. They get good gas mileage and can be had for 6k with under 80k miles. My GF had cobalt coupe that was totaled before it hit 50k miles. We never did anything to it except oil changes and it was perfect.

Any other suggestions of 05+ cars that can pull 30mpg+ that can be had for 6k with low miles?

Last edited:

danieljardim

I need to get a different car this summer. I love my stealth and it is as sexy as CC's 6r but I need something more practical.

My budget is 6k.

Dependability and low maintenance is my main concern (Yamaha needs to make cars).

After a lot of research, I think I would like a Chevy cobalt sedan. They get good gas mileage and can be had for 6k with under 80k miles. My GF had cobalt coupe that was totaled before it hit 50k miles. We never did anything to it except oil changes and it was perfect.

Any other suggestions of 05+ cars that can pull 30mpg+ that can be had for 6k with low miles?
Ford focus, very reliable and low maintenance, engine and trans are very strong.

fltdriver

I would go with a yaris if you want good mileage. We just had to give my mom's (09) back to toyota cause I didn't want it after she died. She owed 5500 on it and it brought 5100 at auction with 30k. I work with this couple that have over 150k on an 07 with no major issues. Gets some badass mph but no balls to speak of, roomy though.

I think lep jon said he has one as well.

yfz6r

I would go with a yaris if you want good mileage. We just had to give my mom's (09) back to toyota cause I didn't want it after she died. She owed 5500 on it and it brought 5100 at auction with 30k. I work with this couple that have over 150k on an 07 with no major issues. Gets some badass mph but no balls to speak of, roomy though.

I think lep jon said he has one as well.
I have looked at the yaris. Great suggestion. Problem is it's a little out of my price range. Can't find them for under 8k with any less than 150k miles in my area. If one did pop up cheap I'd probably jump on it.

Not worried about power at all. I'm the guy that everyone gets pissed at for driving slow. My stealth has never seen redline

CrazyCawi

My budget is 6k.

I have a cobalt sedan 2009 with 58k on it. I get about 29.8 mpg with the automatic. Great vehicle

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

Hadn't heard much about the focus. I'm going to do some research on it.
like that it has a timing chain that doesnt need replaced!
pre 2008 are horrid build quality(engines and stuff run fine but the rest of the vehicle sucks ass, clips break rattly and noisy) we have a 2008 and the parking brake squeeks like crazy(its not on but when you go across bumps the cable itself rubs on something and makes noise.

fltdriver

Not sure if it's still there but less than a month ago someone was selling a (0?) yaris for 6100 in Burlington, Iowa. Think it was southeast Iowa craigslist.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

danieljardim

pre 2008 are horrid build quality(engines and stuff run fine but the rest of the vehicle sucks ass, clips break rattly and noisy) we have a 2008 and the parking brake squeeks like crazy(its not on but when you go across bumps the cable itself rubs on something and makes noise.
I agree with cc that the whole interior on the focus is plastic BUT stuff brakes and make noise if you treat your car like a caveman.

I've been around service dept. of several brands and I gotta say in my personal opinion Ford is ahead of the game in price and reliability.

Don't take me wrong, jap cars are fine but they not WAAAAAYY better than americans like a lot of people still think.

Parts wise, Japanese parts are a lot more expensive than american ones.

If you buy a early build focus you probably gonna need eventually is a ignition cylinder and a transmission mount (those are simple repairs) besides that I don't remember any major flaw with the focus.

But opinions are like butts. everybody have their own.

danieljardim

Focus and Mazda3 use the same Duratec engine... But the rest of the car is not that great. I did consider the Focus when I got the Suzuki. The Suzuki finish was much better and............... it's a Suzuki!

Timing chain and hydrolic lifter. All I changed is oil and filter, tires and shocks. Driveshaft are good for about 30-40K miles but I think it has a lot to do with the lowering kit and the fact that I beat the $hit out of it. :spank:

But driven normally it's a solid car.
I worked on a suzuki dealer for a while and I do not agree with you.. Enough said to not start a car fight.... :) :thumbup:

danieljardim

Focus and Mazda3 use the same Duratec engine... But the rest of the car is not that great. I did consider the Focus when I got the Suzuki. The Suzuki finish was much better and............... it's a Suzuki!

Timing chain and hydrolic lifter. All I changed is oil and filter, tires and shocks. Driveshaft are good for about 30-40K miles but I think it has a lot to do with the lowering kit and the fact that I beat the $hit out of it. :spank:

But driven normally it's a solid car.
If you get a focus with a ZETEC engine its a yamaha design.

2416ryan

I have a 2008 Ford Focus with 50,000 miles on it. Great car so far. Nothing but regular maintenance. Love it! :)

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member
Last edited:

MustGoFaster

My budget is 6k.

I would stay away from anything American unless it's 2010 or newer. The newer ones seem to be made a bit better.

Every American car I've ever owned has crapped out in horrible ways and/or been money pits. Both my ex and current fiance owned a Cobalt and a Focus. Nothing but problems. I took my fiance to a Ford dealership and she ended up getting an 08 Honda CRV like mine, but newer. (LoL. She's been ragging on me for ragging on her for liking Ford. It finally crapped out around 107k. Now she joins the darkside.) :D

Every Japanese car I've ever had, or my parents have had, has lasted until the body rusted off the frame. Literally.

Someone said everyone's get their opinions. This is true. Just sharing mine.