Helmet Shopping

Quietwhisper

I am going to be doing some helmet shopping within the next week here and I was wondering what I should look for in a good helmet.

The current one I have now is just a cheep HJC CS-R1 and I really dont like it. I get a lot of wind inside of it even at lower speeds and at higher speeds the helmet actually wants to lift off my head!! If it wasn't for the strap it would have been gone in the ditch somewhere a long time ago.

Another part of the reason the helmet lifts up at high speeds is because the padding on the inside of it has squished down since I first bought the helmet, and it no longer fits the same as the first day I wore it.

I want something that's going to have good padding in it and less wind/noise. What do you guys recommend? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Heineken

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

MikeN02

Arai, if you're short on money get a Shoei, if you're even shorter on money get a Shark.

In honestly though Shoei's are one of the popular brands for their graphics style, comfort, weight, and vents.

Blue-Sun

Elite Member
Last edited:

Detrich

I'm actually beginning to kinda like HJC more... I 've tried on the Scorpion EXO-1000, but ultimately returned it because I found the opening to be super tight & still too wiggly inside... I've tried on Bell & Shoei in the store too, but they all just fit me kinda weird...

HJC's seem to fit my head better for some reason. I'm currently trying out an HJC IS-16 Scratch, which Home | Helmet Harbor gave very high marks on- despite it being only DOT. It feels very high quality and has the one touch inner sunshield with some nice graphics to boot... I'm really hoping that i find nothing else that bugs me and that this is my new helmet. But, we'll see...

Scratch MC-2 (BLUE) Full Face | Helmet Harbor

MikeN02

I'm actually beginning to kinda like HJC more... I 've tried on the Scorpion EXO-1000, but ultimately returned it because I found the opening to be super tight & still too wiggly inside... I've tried on Bell & Shoei in the store too, but they all just fit me kinda weird...

HJC's seem to fit my head better for some reason. I'm currently trying out an HJC IS-16 Scratch, which Home | Helmet Harbor gave very high marks on- despite it being only DOT. It feels very high quality and has the one touch inner sunshield with some nice graphics to boot... I'm really hoping that i find nothing else that bugs me and that this is my new helmet. But, we'll see...

Scratch MC-2 (BLUE) Full Face | Helmet Harbor

Great! That site also features the Scorpion EXO-400 Tsunami that I was looking to buy for a while now..

M

mas4489

Shoei has a pretty good selection at a descent price.

got an RF1100 myself, you can buy different padding for the inside and different visors, the visors are really easy to pop off and pop on, has 7 vents and a lever to lock the visor down if you wanted to. really like it, great fit.

bjs045

I would recommend Arai, Shoei, and the new Bells. I'd stick to 400-500 dollar range. Personally I have the Shoei RF-1100 and I love it. But I'm considering picking up the new Bell Star and getting the new self tinting visor though. As I see it.....THERE'S NO PRICE TO PAY TO PROTECT YOUR DOME! :p :thumbup:

Arai | Shoei | Bell Star | Bell Vortex

p.s. Oh and test fit them all. Pick one that fits the size and shape of YOUR head.

JSP

Super Moderator
I have a Scorpion EXO-700 and think its great. Can get them for good prices too. VERY easy to swap the shield on and off.

Quietwhisper

Awesome! Thanks for all the great feedback! I love how active this forum is haha. As for cost I guess you cant put a price on safety. But honestly safety should come at a reasonable price if you ask me lol. I'll keep all your suggestions in mind when I go out this weekend.

Superzoom

Hjc

I'm actually a fan of HJC because I think it's pretty much the best value in a helmet. I think diminishing returns definitely apply to helmets, and HJC's seem to be a geat combination of good price, decent quality and good functionality and features.

Here is my current helmet, the HJC CL-Max...

I absolutely love having a flip-up helmet. It's fantastic in hot stop-and-go traffic. It's also nice for talking to people, taking pictures and having drinks. The only con is that the ratchet mechanism has broken twice on the helmet in three years, but I just keep spare parts on hand. I might have broken the mechanism due to removing the shield improperly, though.

Maybe I'm a cheap ass for liking this helmet so much, but I'm guessing that the quality is plenty good enough to protect me in a get off. I did hit a deer last year at 100 kph and went tumbling across the road for what seemed like 100 metres, but miraculously, there was not a single mark on my helmet. I had somehow kept my head from touching the pavement. I'm glad I've never "tested" a helmet.

Detrich

^ i currently have an HJC CL-15 as my starter helmet... and, other it being a bit plain cosmetically and a bit noisy (wind- but i now wear earplugs to compensate) i have to say it is very comfortable and very solid- dot & snell 2005. and, it was only $70... Unfortunately, it's also one size too big, due to my newbie shopping skills. but so far its still been snug on the streets. I only feel it move slightly going over 50+, which is y I've been trying new helmets to replace it with a better fit. But, it's actually a really good bang for the buck imo...

Last edited:

husker525

I currently own an Arai. The visors are expensive and contrary to the YouTube video, take a little longer to change out. I like the peripheal vision that Shoei's offer a little better than my Arai. I have a friend who has a new Scorpion helmet with plenty of vision, inflatable cheek pads, easy to change visors, but it is a little heavier than a Shoei or my Arai. The price for the Scorpion is substantially less than Shoei or Arai too.

h00k247

I had a HJC for the last couple of years but would only use for rain and cold weather with my last bike. Since I got the fz6r I have been using the HJC. While it worked pretty good, I just bought a Shoei a few days ago and can't believe the improvement over the HJC. Comfort, weight, and ventilation are much improved over the HJC.

Make sure you try on as many different helmets as possible to see what is comfortable.

Also, if you have a cyclegear close to you check them out. They have a lot of Shoei helmets on sale right now. I bought a left-over helmet for 250$ with a 15% coupon.

Roaddawg

I have a Hawk (cheaper brand) full face modular helmet with the flip down built in sun visor and would never go back to a regular full face. I love to be able to flip the whole front up when I want to talk to someone (group rides, gas station..). It's also nice being able to flip down the internal sun visor when needed and not have to pull over to put on sunglasses or switch out visors. I highly recommend looking into those types of helmets. Much more universal and you still have full face protection.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

2w05thletes

I have the Scorpion EXO-700 in gloss black. I decided after a couple of months that I wasn't visible enough, and probably that I wanted more spice too... I purchased the GMAX 68S off of Ebay. I've got zero complaints thus far. I saw the review by JonKer but to date haven't had any of those problems. I ride everyday for a lot of hours. I love that the GMAX offers the built in LED in the back of the helmet. It comes with a warranty and if I start to experience any problems I'll contact the company. Love the graphics, the LEDs, fit, and ventilation, not to mention it was $114 shipped with a dark smoke visor. Just my thoughts.

GMax GM68 Street Helmet w LED Light Max Yellow Medium: eBay Motors (item 270520101937 end time Jun-22-10 15:04:11 PDT)