Helmet Choices

Anthony

Fastest Member
Elite Member
I have a shoei qwest. Got it for around $350+$80 for the extra shield I bought for it. Absolutely love it, so comfortable and a lot quieter than my old afx helmets. only complaint would be is it fogs up easily when its colder out.

I looked at that one also, Reason i'm opting out of that one is mainly due to it being an upright seating position helemet(FZ6R), On my new bike I need more of a 3/4..

Question: How is the Shoei on noise? And do you use the chin spoiler often?

noise is going to also play a role in the fitment of the helmet to your head. If you have a nice tight fitment like you should it will help reduce the chances of noise. Your best bet would be to make sure the helmet has the best fit to the crown of your head and then go from there on everything else.

if you're gonna spend that much coin, do yourself the favor of trying them on before you buy them.

ideally, find some friends who own them, try them on and even ride around with em.

i found out for shoei i need a small (at least for the RF1100) even though in some other brands a medium fit me best.

Well, I'm thinking about ditching my HTC helmet for a premium helmet & have potentially narrowed it down to 2 choices.

Choice #1 = Showie XR1100

Choice #2 = Arai RX-Q

Both helmets can be bought online for about 500.00. I'm going to go try some on at a dealership and if they are much more than that I will just buy it online at revzilla.

Anyone have any experience with either of these?

If not, what helmet do you use? Pros - Cons, ect. Don't see many helmet threads here so thought what the heck, it's late and i'm here so I might as well post something heh.
My previous helmet was RF-1000. Tried the RF-1100 but it did not fit me the same way as Rf-1000. The RX-Q is a wider oval than RF-1100. The visor change is PIA in Arai, but the fit (for my head) is absolute perfection. I have never felt better in any helmet I've tried before (most major brands including HJC, Bell, Scorpion...)
Both of your choices are great helmets. Pick whatever fits your melon best.

noise is going to also play a role in the fitment of the helmet to your head. If you have a nice tight fitment like you should it will help reduce the chances of noise. Your best bet would be to make sure the helmet has the best fit to the crown of your head and then go from there on everything else.

^ Good advice. You'll be surprised at how different manufacturers' helmets fit, and often even different models of the same brand will fit you.
Personally, I'm a long-time Shoei fan; their shapes just seem to fit my head well. I've got a new RF-1100 and a Neo-Tec (for riding my Triumph), and the fit is phenomenal, and the best venting I've experienced.
Best of luck with your shopping!

^ Good advice. You'll be surprised at how different manufacturers' helmets fit, and often even different models of the same brand will fit you.
Personally, I'm a long-time Shoei fan; their shapes just seem to fit my head well. I've got a new RF-1100 and a Neo-Tec (for riding my Triumph), and the fit is phenomenal, and the best venting I've experienced.
Best of luck with your shopping!

That's one thing that my bell isn't great for, venting. It is better than a lot of helmets but it certainly could be better IMO. even when I tilt my head the venting just doesn't come through as good. I thing I'm going to take my exacto blade to it and cut some of the foam back from the vents so it's not as restricted and see what happens there.

I tried the RF-1100 last year (2012) helmet model and it was too oval for my head. The RS1 is a pretty good fit but I could honestly use a slightly more narrow helmet to get a better fitment. Once I find the right helmet I'll probably buy 2-3 of them so if they stop making them I wont be screwed for a few years until someone comes out with a design with the right shape, lol.

Helmet shopping is a royal pain in the butt!

So after going to the dealership it turns out that neither fits me very well. However, the Aria Signet-Q fit me great. So i'm going to think about it for a couple of days and probably go back and buy one in either diamond black or matte black which they call "frost black". Its about the same cost, 500.00! I really like the cheek pads and fit, but 500.00?!?! Sheesh lol.

one thing that you want to remember is that the cheek pads should be pushing in hard enough that it will feel like you are biting your cheeks, it will loosen up a little bit after riding and wearing it but at first it needs to be tight.

If you don't get it tight at first it'll be really loose after only a couple/few thousand miles. I know this from experience.

but if the signet-q is a good fit on the crown of you head then great. I would still try one size smaller just to see how it fits. but now that you have a helmet you are looking at, call up revzilla and see if they have any other recommendations for you. They know their helmets pretty good. If there was any part of that helmet that was even the slightest bit loose, let them know and they will direct you in the right direction.

Other online stores do this as well but I have first hand experience with revzilla.

I might pick up one of these this summer, my lid is getting kinda old. A local dealer had one for somewhere between about 320-350. Most comfy helmet I've ever tried on, supposed to flow great (summer heat cooks me), and works better with an upright position like our bikes. Look into it.

I really really enjoy this helmet. The flow in it for summer time is amazing. And like you said its really really comfortable. I've gone 4+ hours of riding without needing to take it off for a break.

I really really enjoy this helmet. The flow in it for summer time is amazing. And like you said its really really comfortable. I've gone 4+ hours of riding without needing to take it off for a break.

I love my Quest. I also have the TZR and it is not as well vented or as quiet. The Quest is also a very stable lid. The TZR and others I have had bob your head from side to side. Quest=solid!

One thing about Aria's that many don't know is that on the Q' and the Rx helmet the liners are all removable!
Also there is several different sizes of cheek pads as well the other pads can be swapped also.

I've come to expect these features from any helmet, cheap or not.

Pretty much any helmet that is 200+ seems to have all these options anymore. The cheap crap never does though.

I'm a helmet collector:

Shoei Neotec: Got it for the modular feature. Fit is good, and runs true to the sizing chart, love the internal visor, but it's heavy... most modulars are. Great venting, and noise isn't significant. Everything internal is removable. Very solid. No real choices in face shields other than clear.

Arai Signet Q: Runs large. I'm normally a large, got this in a medium. Incredibly plush. Cheek pads were tight, but they have 5mm layers, which you can remove one at a time. All internals are removable. Non-ratcheting visor (no detents), which I love. I hate detents. Smallest shell of all my helmets. Very quiet. Shitty depressions for speakers.

Scorpion exo-1100. My favorite. Quickest face shield swap, very quiet. Runs small --definitely have to go a size up from your norm. Excellent internal visor (although, swapped the default light smoke for dark smoke). Awesome shield choices, and the mirrored gold looks sick with the matte black. Nice deep pocketed depressions for communicator speakers. Relatively light (about 3.5 lbs.). Everything internal is removable. Big negative: liner is breaking in too much on crown, and the deep air-flow channels in the EPS are actually beginning to leave ridges on the top of my head after a few hours' ride (they go away, but I feel like a freaking washboard for 1/2 hour. Losing favorite status because of this.

Bell RS1: About to become my favorite. Sizing chart runs true. Best field of vision. Shield swap even faster than Scorpion. Most comfortable of ALL my helmets, including the Arai. Feels like you're slipping into an old sofa you've been breaking in for years... Deepest pockets for communicator speakers. Everything removable except for the neck roll (which pisses me off). Comes in a million graphics, as well as solids. Awesome selection of quality face shields at reasonable prices. Incredible Photochromatic face shield available for this (same as Vortex and Race Pro --changes tint depth depending on sunlight, or lack of -- a little pricey, but worth it... no need to change shields, no need for internal visor).

Tried to buy a Shark Speed-R in matte black, but can't get one anywhere... and didn't want any "replica" models that were available.

My $.02

Back