Having long haired dogs is a PITA sometimes..

BoneJj

My boy has a Cockapoo, I know, worst damn name for a dog ever.

But yeah, it doesn't necessarily shed like other dogs but it odes require regular trimming and so on.

The hair grows between his toes and makes him slip on the tiles and other surfaces. Also collects a ton of dirt and other junk. I've helped him a few times to cut out all the extra hair between the toes on that dog. It's weird to see just how much hair can grow between toes. LOL.

normally the dog can't even sit because his front paws just slide out from under him.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

BoneJj

Yeah, the need for cuts or shedding! Then it really gives you dust bunnies and clogs up the vacuum.... But regardless, the love the puppy gives is worth it! :)
lol, yeah. His is a standard poodle size so it's just a crazy tall dog. It can leap from the couch to nearly 3/4 the length of the room. It's crazy. I'll see if I can find a picture of him.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

roundhouse

i have a lab. he has an oily coat. it is a whipping to brush. luckily don't have to do it often.

never had that much hair and my dog is 80#

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Brock Kickass

Having a dog period is a PITA. I love my Lab to death. He is an amazing dog, and as much a part of the family as me, my wife, or my son. However, the accomodations you have to make for them can really make you shake your head. My wife hates cleaning the floors, but does it every second day becasue we have hardwood through our entire house and it won't stay clean between the hair, the dirt he tracks in, and the drool. Oh, the drool. We just had a baby, so he's not allowed in the back seat any more. So now we're trading a perfectly good Lancer Hatchback with low mileage on a VW Touareg because my wife feels the hatchback area of our car isn't big enough for the dog. *sigh. Oh well, life just wouldn't be the same without him.

yfz6r

Just buy some hair clippers from Walmart. Get about a $25 set, not the cheap $15 set because the cheap wahl overheats and doesn't cut well on my dog.

Then shave the dog. No guard needed on the clippers. Takes about an hour. Dog will need a bath afterwards. I've shaved my American Eskimo twice this year. Dog will need a good bath after shaving.

The clippers don't hurt the dog at all and my dog is usually very timid but didn't mind getting shaved. Save money and do it yourself.

Also don't shave an outdoor dog due to sunburn

Brock Kickass

Just buy some hair clippers from Walmart. Get about a $25 set, not the cheap $15 set because the cheap wahl overheats and doesn't cut well on my dog.

Then shave the dog. No guard needed on the clippers. Takes about an hour. Dog will need a bath afterwards. I've shaved my American Eskimo twice this year. Dog will need a good bath after shaving.

The clippers don't hurt the dog at all and my dog is usually very timid but didn't mind getting shaved. Save money and do it yourself.

Also don't shave an outdoor dog due to sunburn
Something a lot of people might not think of, but boy it would be awful for your poor dog if you didn't.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member