Got pull over...

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

BoneJj

That sucks dude, my friend rolls stop signs all the time...... I make it a point to actually stop though, it's a pain in the ass on the bike but it's worth it to not get that ticket....

I've been waiting on him to get a ticket for it, I keep telling him but I know it's coming soon enough. He has a habit of even doing it on the main roads, just slowing to a slower than walk pace then going. He got lights flashed at him a couple weeks ago by a cop that was going by for doing a roll stop but luckily the cop found someone else to go after just as he was going to pull him over.

I will do a roll up to a red light if it's possible so I don't have to stop fully but man, down here the cops like roll stops, it's a hefty ticket to give. I have no desire to get any more tickets on my record, I've been clean for years, lol. I got a ton of tickets up north for being an asshat behind the wheel...

Spunky99

Where did you hear this? The only thing I found about stopping was this:

which says nothing about feet, and a bunch of discussions elsewhere about people who were ticketed for not putting their feet down, fighting the tickets and winning.
I'll have to dig it up but the teacher at my MSP class cited the law and said you have to touch the ground with your foot.

C

cam7777

Sounds like a stupid law, glad we don't have to come to a full stop in the UK.:eek:

Blue-Sun

Elite Member
Reactions: JSP

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

Detrich

i think law enforcement ought to at least "relax" full stop enforcement for bikes- so long as the rider does the appropriate actions- ie slow to a near stop, approaches cautiously, yields etc.. it's hard enough stop-n-go-balance etc. and it's not like being in a car.

swatguy

Here's the thing you state you rolled the stop sign in your post.
You rolled it you got caught. Stop means stop not slow your roll. It is what it is. Think of how many signs you rolled before and got away with it.

I always love how everyone is quick to hate on the police for doing their jobs. Why are they writing me a ticket when there are murderers running around? Go lock up a drug a dealer? Need your quota for the day? and the best one I pay your salary. When you get dinged it's a fine they can choose to give you and he did. Like others have said maybe there is zero tolerance, maybe their are complaints sent to the city, maybe they are on a traffic safety mission on a grant from the state, or maybe you just get dinged because you violated the law. People need to take responsibility for their own decisions and actions. People get a court to decide if the police are wrong or right with issuing the violation, if you think you were wronged, take it to court and fight it.

On the topic of what to do. Every state is different so cant comment on that. Here in IL the stop sign ticket is a "hazard" violation which means it will go to your record. However if you go to court and get supervision/or are eligible for traffic school after 6 mos with no violations it disappears and doesn't get reported.

Last edited:

See red

I would have done what I always do, you can waste my time with the lecture, OR write me the ticket. NOT both..... don't care, there is NO law that says I have to hear you..... I don't even have to be nice. I can NOT threaten but I can invite you to eat my shit, or even if offer to let you kiss my ass.

I haven't had a ticket in 15 years, I am usually polite, but that was a d-bag move by him. I have told a cop to please stop yammering, and give me my ticket for my failure to read a sign. no turn on red, oops... I laughed.. mind you no other cars were there. He gave me a shpeal.... I was bored, he laughed and told me to read them and quit being a jackass. lol! bye!

Detrich

i was a passenger with some friends a few weeks back in the middle of the pm. and, we got pulled over for "merging into the left turn lane too early" in order to make a left turn.

this intersection has guard rails separating opposing traffic, and the left turn lane was a super long, turning lane with dashed lines on the inside. thru traffic was backed up and no one was at the front of the left turn lane. so my friend decided to merge into the turning lane and move to the front so we could make a left turn.

after turning, we continued driving. but, about 1/4 of a mile down the road, out of nowhere, flashing lights showed up 2 cars behind us. we thought the car behind us was getting pulled over, so we kept going. but, after the cop pulled over that guy, he signaled out his window for that guy stay put, and kept following us. so, we pulled over right away- not exactly sure what had happened..

so, the cop asked for our papers, and my friend politely asked what he did wrong. the officer then explained that the max distance to pull into the left turn lane is 150 ft and that we entered the lane at 300 ft. he said he pulled over the other driver too, cuz he did the exact same thing. so, my friend explained that he entered the lane since it was clear, but that he won't do it again anymore- now that he's been reminded of the rule.

the cop was super nice and said not all intersections have that guard rail and that if on-coming cars were going to turn left after the intersection and enter that lane after 150 ft, then we would've been hit head on. he didn't give us a ticket and let the other driver go too after warning him.

i thought he was really nice to us, and that incident made me remember the 150 ft rule more.

we prolly would've been grumpy and griping had we been ticketed- even tho it was our fault.

Chevyfazer

I would have done what I always do, you can waste my time with the lecture, OR write me the ticket. NOT both..... don't care, there is NO law that says I have to hear you..... I don't even have to be nice. I can NOT threaten but I can invite you to eat my shit, or even if offer to let you kiss my ass.

I haven't had a ticket in 15 years, I am usually polite, but that was a d-bag move by him. I have told a cop to please stop yammering, and give me my ticket for my failure to read a sign. no turn on red, oops... I laughed.. mind you no other cars were there. He gave me a shpeal.... I was bored, he laughed and told me to read them and quit being a jackass. lol! bye!
I think I can honestly say for being only 25 I have gotten more tickets then probably anyone on this board, and I learned real quick that being polite, respectful, and most importantly not arguing and owning up to YOUR screw up will and can go a long long way. It has gotten me just as many warnings and reduced tickets as I have gotten regular tickets. If you are wrong you are wrong, bottom line. I actually almost hit a cop car head on in a blind turn going about 25 over and almost completely in his lane, we both slammed on breaks and swerved, I immediately pulled over, turned off my truck and sat on the side of the road for what seemed like 5 min until he came pulling up behind me, came to my window asked for my license and lectured me for a min saying what if I would have been a soccer mom in a mini van who couldn't have swerved as quickly as i did, a bunch of yes sirs, and I know it was stupids later he went back to his car, another cop pulled up, at this point I just knew I was goin to jail. He started clearing out his back seat and what seemed like a lifetime later he finally came back with my license and said "look son, I'm letting you off with a warning because I honestly think you realize just how dangerous driving like this is since I didn't even have to pull you over, you did that yourself, but don't let me EVER even pull you over for so much as running a stop sign" and that was that, im sure if I told him to shut up and go get my ticket I would have been in cuffs, reckless driving is a arrestsable offense

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

findmadhav

Last time I got a BS ticket (cager) I came across the same thing as you, great driving record, so now how to handle this ticket.

I hear if you go to court and the cop doesnt show up, it gets tossed, so thats one hope

What I did was call one of those guys that go there for you....I had to pay his fee and in the end still had to pay the price of the tickets, BUT points did not go on my license and i didnt have to go to school, so just a hurt on my pocket but not my history....

Just a thought...
Here's the deal, if the cop is a State Trooper, then the chances of him not showing up in court are high because they keep patrolling throughout the state and dont have time for petty cases. The same thing happened to a friend of mine and he got away with it. But if he is a local cop, then you might wanna think otherwise.

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

See red

Polite, but I also don't beat around the bush. I will be as nice as you are, I won't sit there and let you start chewing me out, if I am polite, you have no reason to be a d-bag to me.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member