GoPro Camera....or?

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

72racer

Elite Member

Spunky99

I own a pair of the Contour 1080 HD cams. I use them all the time when I race my motorcycle and on my son's helmet when he go-karts.
We also use them in airsoft with a 37mm filter ring and a UV glass filter to deflect the BBs. A gopro would be shot to hell at 20 feet with a 400 fps fully auto airsoft rifle with a LiPo. I have the picatinney mount for the rifle and have ballistic goggles that I mount cam #2 on. Unless you made some sort of lexan window to protect the GoPro it would be shattered fast and that lexan window would be bulky as heck to cover the entire camera.
I have the underwater mount and it works great for snowboarding and surfing.

I have a wristwatch GPS so didn't need the newer GPS version but that is cool. You can do lap timing and top speed on a race course or track a trip.
My GPS interacts with Google Earth and I think the Contour does too.

You can get them on eBay for $229.99 all day long with a helmet mount and a goggle mount included.

CrazyCawi

I own a pair of the Contour 1080 HD cams. I use them all the time when I race my motorcycle and on my son's helmet when he go-karts.
We also use them in airsoft with a 37mm filter ring and a UV glass filter to deflect the BBs. A gopro would be shot to hell at 20 feet with a 400 fps fully auto airsoft rifle with a LiPo. I have the picatinney mount for the rifle and have ballistic goggles that I mount cam #2 on. Unless you made some sort of lexan window to protect the GoPro it would be shattered fast and that lexan window would be bulky as heck to cover the entire camera.
I have the underwater mount and it works great for snowboarding and surfing.

I have a wristwatch GPS so didn't need the newer GPS version but that is cool. You can do lap timing and top speed on a race course or track a trip.
My GPS interacts with Google Earth and I think the Contour does too.

You can get them on eBay for $229.99 all day long with a helmet mount and a goggle mount included.
how easy is set up, and how easy is it converting to youtube quality vids on the pc? How long is record time and are they rechargable? built in memory or SD?

any vids to show us the quality at higher speeds? Id also like to see one of the airsoft vids :rockon:

CrazyCawi

well....after watching that video im pretty much sold on it....

Spunky99

how easy is set up, and how easy is it converting to youtube quality vids on the pc? How long is record time and are they rechargable? built in memory or SD?

any vids to show us the quality at higher speeds? Id also like to see one of the airsoft vids :rockon:
The cam is simple. A switch to choose the resolution and FPS mode on the back accessable under the rubber cover. I leave mine in 720 @ 60 fps because I can change that in Pinnacle Studio 14 to whatever I want. Push a button on the back, dual LED lasers come on to verify the aim and it beeps a few seconds later. When you want to record, slide the top switch forward. Slide back to stop. Turn off by pressing that same switch in the rear for 8 seconds and it beeps and powers off. If left on and not recording it powers off in 10 minutes too. The software that comes with it allows you to download and erase the cam and save it from the native .MOV to MP4 or whatever to upload to youtube.
Battery life is 60 minutes so a spare battery is a good idea. The SD is only 2GB which is about 30 minutes of video at 1080 HD. I upgraded to 16GB class 6 cards for both at about $27.00 each. 16GB is about 4 hours of record time at 1080 or 720 @ 60 fps. I don't have any airsoft vids loaded as I just got the rail mount and have been too sick to go but here is my youtube name.
losangelespilot
You can peruse the channel and see. Youtube does not support 60 fps so before I got Pinnacle Studio 14 it downconverted them to 720 @ 30. Now I just change it to 1080 and go. The airplane landings are done with an Aiptek GVS running 720 @ 60 fps downconverted to 30 fps. I'll be posting some go-kart vids from last Sunday tonight. I had the lens turned 90 degrees from my rear mount on my motorcycle race and forgot to change it for the helmet mount. you can mount the Contour up or on it's side as needed. Pinnacle Studio allows me to rotate the video by degree any way I want it. That way I'll mount the cam upside down on my airsoft rifle and flip it 180 in production when I make the video. You will be able to see what I call "a string of spaghetti" coming out of my LiPo equipped AR shellacking the opposing force and the cheaters wiggling around in pain but not acknowledging the hits...typical airsoft....get a lot closer and empty the mag on them and then ask if "they can feel me now". They get the idea and straighten up fast.
Batteries are rechargeable and 20 minutes or so is normal recharge. They have a AC charger for $13.60 or charge in the cam like I do. Mini USB to USD 2.0 to connect the cam to PC.

CrazyCawi

what does pinnacle cost? I believe this conture is my next purchase

Spunky99

what does pinnacle cost? I believe this conture is my next purchase
It's reasonable at $69.99 for ver 14 Ultimate. You might find a better price elsewhere or have another source (torrent).
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Pinnacle-Systems-82101006331-Studio-Ultimate/dp/B002NN2WK8]Amazon.com: Pinnacle Studio Ultimate V14: Software[/ame]

Also there is a ver 14 HD version available for $40.00
Pinnacle Studio HD - Windows 82101006311

I haven't tried this one but it looks simple enough. I'm not into hard to use video interfaces.

bjs045

Battery life is 60 minutes so a spare battery is a good idea. The SD is only 2GB which is about 30 minutes of video at 1080 HD. I upgraded to 16GB class 6 cards for both at about $27.00 each. 16GB is about 4 hours of record time at 1080 or 720 @ 60 fps.
Man I thought the battery life on the Contour was better than that. GoPro battery last for 4 hours. The 16GB card is also 4 hours 720@60fps.

I really like that built in gps. I may need buy the wristband gps like Jon.

Spunky99

Man I thought the battery life on the Contour was better than that. GoPro battery last for 4 hours. The 16GB card is also 4 hours 720@60fps.

I really like that built in gps. I may need buy the wristband gps like Jon.
They are about $118.00 now.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Receiver-Sports-Watch/dp/B000CSQJ8C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302729533&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Garmin Forerunner 205 GPS Receiver and Sports Watch: Garmin: Electronics[/ame]

I bought mine for inline skate racing and bicycle racing. lap switch is great in a motorcycle race. On skates there is no way to check your mileage or avg speed or anything so it is perfect for that. I mounted it on the handlebars with this.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-Bicycle-Mount-Kit/dp/B000VK5BMQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1302729671&sr=8-3]Amazon.com: Garmin Forerunner Bicycle Mount Kit: Electronics[/ame]

Spunky99

The main differences are:
The Contour is more aerodynamic if mounted on a helmet and at high speed. Also the Contour mounts on the side of the helmet while the GoPro mounts on top. Some people don't like the Contour helmet mount position.
The GoPro has a button rattle problem but may have better wind noise cancellation than the Contour.
The GoPro has some better mounts than the Contour although both are developing newer mounting systems.
Resolution is the same as are the frame rates for both cams.
The native raw color is a little different for the cams as is the FOV.
Contour has a 37mm filter adapter ring to add filters and lens protectors.
The glass UV filter is needed when mounted on an airsoft rifle on the picatinny rail mount system for the Contour to protect the lens from the 6mm plastic BBs. Verified good to 400fps although my skin isn't.......
Both have waterproof mounts.
The GoPro battery lasts longer than the 60 minute recording time of the Contour.

GoPro was first into the market and has a huge presence in the extreme sports groups. There are lots of GoPros being used in the M1GP races and I'm the only one using a Contour.

I have 2 of the 1080P units working and one that failed after my crash and 4 batteries and just about every mount and waterproof housing, filters etc.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

the thing with handle bar mounts is they intense vibrations which will give a aved ripple effect throughout the video. You would need a difference source of mounting