Goodbye FZ6R hello Z1000

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

BoneJj

I get about 45mpg on the bike but my car averages 35 mpg so that's why smaller displacement and their fuel economy is a turn on however the lack of power is not a plus
LOL, I'd love a car that got 35mpg... maybe.

My WRX only gets me about 22-23 typically though right now I'm getting about 24ish.

AWD sucks gas!

That and my drive sucks gas because of all the stop and go I have to do on the way back and forth to the campus all the time.

Rob

'Q'
Elite Member

Detrich

I think cruising RPM's greatly affect MPG too. Keeping high RPM's- ie 8K or over will kill ur MPG's, but that's where all the fun is. :)

BoneJj

I think cruising RPM's greatly affect MPG too. Keeping high RPM's- ie 8K or over will kill ur MPG's, but that's where all the fun is. :)
Very true, I like being able to cruise at 75mph at less than 6k getting some nice mileage...

I managed to get 38mpg this weekend even with a lot of spirited riding...

Also, I'm going to need a new tire on the back after a short time. I noticed today that even though I'm going a lot easier on this bike than my old one I'm still eating up that tire pretty quick. I'm at 2,500 now and I'm already noticing that it's pretty well worn down.

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member
Last edited:

BoneJj

the z1000 sticks to the road like glue.... those 190s on the rear are the gods of the tire world!!! BUT the big issue is i tend to go fast and be VERY hard the on throttle sooo whenever i come over a big hill and im hard on the throttle i almost ALWAYS bring the front end up haha and taking 45 dergree corners at over 80mph i get a big of front end wobble at the end of the corner almost like the front end needs to be lowered and thats with my steering stabilizer haha but ya on the highway i can pull 80 and not even feel it but with almost no windscreen anything over 90 is a bit windy even with my after market windscreen when i lean over the tank i am looking over my windscreen haha i think the ninja 1000 may have less of these issues (the wind and wobble) but its a bit heavier and dose not look nearly as cool
i just love this bike it is such and amazing bike but i honestly already feel like i need a zx10r and i haven't even put my exhaust on yet im already way to ballzy on it ive been doing alot of wheelies in parking lots 1/10 wheelies it brings the front end up and burns out leaving a good 3 foot black mark lol =P stock the bike will power wheelie a good foot in 1st 3/4 foot in 2nd and maybe a few inches in 3rd then bounces in 4th haha i cant wait till my exhaust gets here
also i just thought i would add in that i now have almost 1400 miles on the bike after just one month and most of them are front the last 2 weeks this bike will probobly have 7-10k by the end of summer!!!

here is my windscreen btw:
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/320762_10151566781978629_1204547821_n.jpg
Interesting, I've never had an issue with shimmy on the front leaving a corner, but then I'm a big guy... So that might be why I don't get that.

Have to tried leaning forward more when coming out of a corner? It might help.

As for the wind, yeah, I love the adjustable windscreen of the Ninja 1000. I had to hide behind that as much as possible last night on the way home as temps got into the 60s last night and all I had on was my mesh jacket with only a t-shirt on under that. A bit cool for this Florida this time of year, but I was still able to cruise at 80 without an issue.

You are racking up the miles pretty quick there. I hope you have already done your first oil change. I need to do another one myself. I'm at 2,500 right now but that's mostly because of school taking up so much of my time this last semester. I will be getting in a lot more riding once these damn love bugs go back to hell from whence they came!

I personally prefer the look of the Ninja 1000 to the Z1000 but both appeal to me.

What exhaust are you getting for yours?

I'm probably going to order the Urban Brawler set for mine with all the silencers. I really like the look of that one.

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member
Last edited:

BoneJj

ya the thing is the ninja 1000 has a bit longer wheelbase and .1in less trail and i think that puts your of your weight more on the front tire and my frist service was done a wile ago haha
but we are along talking a difference of .2 inch in wheel base and that only comes from a difference of front forks on the bikes. Same for the travel.

I'm thinking it has more to with the fact that the front cowling on the n1k is adding some down force with the wind it's able to grab and the fact it leans out a bit more but even still. I push it pretty hard out of corners and don't have much of an issue at all. hell, I've only had wobble once and that was coming down from a wheelie that I wasn't prepared to have happen. lol.

I'm curious as to how much you weigh though. I'm betting that's the major factor between the 2 of us. I'm down to 260 now, I was a lot more at one point but not that I'm taking my thyroid meds all the time I'm dropping weight. I also feel a lot better all the time now as well...

Alex6

soo ya sold the FZ6R today and bought a Z1000 im soo happy with it you have no idea!!!
Goodbye 2009 FZ6R

Hello 2012 Z1000

I loved my FZ6R but this bike is just a all around work of art upgrade.
Congrats on the upgrade!

One question please if you don't mind - do you miss the full fairings of the FZ6R? Or should I ask this question in the late Fall? ;)

BoneJj

Congrats on the upgrade!

One question please if you don't mind - do you miss the full fairings of the FZ6R? Or should I ask this question in the late Fall? ;)
I have the Ninja 1000 specifically for having the fairings. I enjoy not getting pelted in the legs with rocks and other things from the road and also being able to duck down behind the windscreen as needed for the those cooler nights.

That and the Ninja 1k adjustable screen is baller... I get all kinds of weird looks when I reach up and adjust the wind shield while I'm riding (this is not recommended for others to do.......)

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

linkgt

Nice bike man... I'm planning on getting the Ninja 1000 someday. maybe Il give the fz6r 2-3 years more running time.

Alex6

honestly the bike sort of looks full fairinged so it dosnt bother me much at all there is a bit more wind so when its colder its a bit cooler to ride a naked bike but as far as looks i think it looks great and its lighter then a ninja 1k they weight 509curb and the z1000 is 481curb soo hooray haha =P
Not worried about the looks that much (I like both); the insurance prems for a Ninja are x2 than for Z1000.
How about the wind flow/buffeting on the Z1000?
I try to avoid the highways as a plake, but on the occassion I don't have much choice - the stock screen on the FZ6R is not that helpfull - the wind hits just under the helmet.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

I was riding around yesterday and bump into a bike get together. I parked and got something to drink from the gas station (cran juice) and start looking at some ride. Few people were asking about the 6R and kind of like the bags set up. End up bumping on the now 82 YO retired cop with his brand new Z1000. (ZX10 is the other ride I has) Other than b&^% at the cluster that was hard to read (old school guy preferred the analog gauge)

After about 30-45 minutes of chatting he told me to take the Z for a spin... I was, ok but thank! My life will suck sooo bad after that ride, just can't do it. But thanks... really appreciate the tough. LOL

I should have said yes anyway... LOL
thats what led to my demise.....i couldnt get back on the fz6r and have the same smile anymore after my first ride on an SS.