Generic Ebay Store (the2wheels) Adjustable Clutch Lever Install - How To

• Thread starter Deleted member 9794
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 9794

So I ordered and installed the adjustable clutch lever from these guys The2Wheels Ebay Store.

Tools you'll need:
  • Either a 10mm or 12mm socket and rachet
  • White lithium or some kind of grease
  • This how-to guide because I swear there were no "clutch lever" how to's anywhere! (or at least google wasn't friendly with my patience so I did this on my own with no help)
Long story short:
  • I think it was a good buy for $32.98
  • Yes, I would recommend to a friend
  • They ship all the way from Hong Kong so it may take awhile (although mine made it in roughly 2-1/4 weeks)
  • I would not recommed the blue lever for the 2009 Blue FZ6R

Long story long:
The only problem I have with the lever (and honestly it's my fault for not trusting my screen) is that the blue lever is exactly the color blue as it is shown on the ebay store: it does not match 2009 FZ6R Blue.

....now it's not that bad (and honestly for the price I don't care that the color doesn't match) but I figured I would warn you FWIW.

Okay, so now, the how to:

Step 01:
First, rotate clutch slack adjuster clockwise (all the way) - You're gonna want all the slack in the line you can get. Then remove nut from underneath clutch using a 10mm (or 12mm) socket (remember you're working upside down so reverse your "righty-tighty" logic)

Step 02:
Slide original lever out, be careful, the metal bushing may fall out (you will not need it for the new lever but hold onto it in case you ever need to use your original lever)

Step 03:
Twist the lever to see underside and gain easy access to remove the clutch cable from the lever (this is why we wanted so much slack in Step 01)

Step 04:
Not really a step but a comparison of the original versus new. Now is a good time to coat the inside of the new lever with white lithium grease

Step 05a:
Reverse of Step 03 - thread the cable into the notch of the new lever

Step 05b:
Reverse of Step 03 - thread the cable into the notch of the new lever

Step 06:
Reverse of Step 03 - flip the lever over and align into slot (giggidy)

Step 07a:
Reverse of Step 01 - align holes and note that the screw you are about to insert is made to fit securely into the squared of hole (angle 01)

Step 07b:
Reverse of Step 01 - align holes and note that the screw you are about to insert is made to fit securely into the squared of hole (angle 02)

Step 07c:
Reverse of Step 01 - align holes and note that the screw you are about to insert is made to fit securely into the squared of hole (angle 03)

Step 08:
Tighten nut securely underneath lever and re-adjust cable slack to appropriate length

Step 09:
Not really a step but a pic for comparison. This is the lever at it's shortest position.

Step 10:
Not really a step but a pic for comparison. This is the lever at it's longest position.

So from the last pic, you can really see the difference between the colors. If I could re-order, I would probably go for black or silver (there was another thread saying the anodizing from this dealer would eventually fade with use but that may have had something to do with the fact that it's 6061 metal instead of the stuff used by CRG or Pazzo (I'm not racing on this bike and if I crash and it breaks I've got the original so that's not an issue for me).

That's it, go ride and figure out which setting works best for you (I like 2 and 3.....actually I just like the fact that I can adjust it!)

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeN02

Ehhhh you should've bought my shorty blue ones though! They've been sitting in my closet ever since I sold my FZ6-R...

Good write up, those look like the long ones though.

D

Deleted member 9794

Ehhhh you should've bought my shorty blue ones though! They've been sitting in my closet ever since I sold my FZ6-R...

Good write up, those look like the long ones though.
I thought about the shorty lever but I'm not comfortable using 2 fingers especially on my right hand - I ended up almost burning rubber trying to do that! Maybe down the line w/ moer experience.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

MikeN02

Depends on your riding style, I personally use 4 fingers on the clutch, and 2 on the brake. Only use 4 on the brake when I'm burning out.

Roaddawg

I thought about the shorty lever but I'm not comfortable using 2 fingers especially on my right hand - I ended up almost burning rubber trying to do that! Maybe down the line w/ moer experience.
I'm not gonna say a word about that comment! :p

Good job with the nice write-up. Too bad that blue didn't match better...looks ok though.

Spunky99

Where is the step where you clean the old dirty grease off the mount before installing the new lever and lubing the new lever before installation?

Your hands sure looked dirty......Just my 2 cents.

D

Deleted member 9794

Where is the step where you clean the old dirty grease off the mount before installing the new lever and lubing the new lever before installation?

Your hands sure looked dirty......Just my 2 cents.
Ah yes, the main inspiration for this how to: I didn't realize I needed the grease til too late so I left the old grease on there until I could get some new ;)

Dunkirk

Thanks for posting this, Boss. These things will be my next mod, as I bent the clutch side, and the dealer wants about $40 for one. Which color would you suggest for my yellow bike? I'm thinking black, since the shiny silver doesn't seem to match the matte silver of our handlebars.

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member
D

Deleted member 9794

Thanks for posting this, Boss. These things will be my next mod, as I bent the clutch side, and the dealer wants about $40 for one. Which color would you suggest for my yellow bike? I'm thinking black, since the shiny silver doesn't seem to match the matte silver of our handlebars.
Same as Diluted, I'd say black - I would say red if they were a shade darker but that's only if you're gonna go for the red/yellow themed bike (which someone on here has and it looks good)

If I decide to get these I'll get black...and I'll probably take my handlebars off and paint them black as well (they're the only silver thing on the bike..wtf?!).
You know I didn't pay attention to this until you said something.....now its gonna bother the crap outta me!

Dunkirk

If I decide to get these I'll get black...and I'll probably take my handlebars off and paint them black as well (they're the only silver thing on the bike..wtf?!).
Hey, there's an idea. I've been looking on the threads with the painted 'bars, and I think that looks pretty sharp. But then, matte or shiny black paint on the bars? Hmm....

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

edwinlin88

Hi Jon,
What exactly are the benefit of shorty levers? I read somewhere they're more for dirt bike riders?
I have small hands but not tiny, just wondering whether to get the shortys or regular (same as stock) length levers.

Kdubb223

Hi Jon,
What exactly are the benefit of shorty levers? I read somewhere they're more for dirt bike riders?
I have small hands but not tiny, just wondering whether to get the shortys or regular (same as stock) length levers.
Not to steal any of Jon's thunder but from what I can tell having shorty levers is mainly for looks... I still brake and clutch the same, with the added benefit of adjusting the gap between the grip and lever. Even with my adjustable levers, I have both set on the second to last (2nd farthest) setting. The smaller levers seem to sit closer to the grips without much adjustment.

Attachments