Gear choices. Criticism and advice encouraged.

Captcha

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum as well as on road bikes.

In the near future I am going to be getting either a brand new or slightly used FZ6R. I don't mind buying new because I know that this bike will last me until it dies and that's when I will replace it. Anyways this is for me to explain my gear choices that I am starting to purchase. Looking for constructional criticism and advice.

Being the my career choice as a branch manager for a bank and my overall love for having skin both mandate me to be presentable I have decided to go with full gear also I have read to many horror stories.

The gear I have either ordered or am going to order is the following.

Helmet: Bell RS-1. Undecided on the graphic scheme yet waiting until I see what color bike I end up with. I have tried on all helmets I could from sub 100$ scorpion brand and like helmets up to 800$ arai and Suomi and felt value and fit and comfort the RS-1 was it.

Jacket: since all of my riding will be street riding and in Florida I went with a leather perforated jack for protection and comfort. I went with the alpinestars Indy jacket in white. Very comfortable have been wearing it around the house to get used to the weight and break it in. Thinking about offering the optional back and chest pad inserts for it as well. Really need to see how it feels riding in the wonderful Florida sun with it.

Gloves: I went with another alpinestars product and chose the SP2 in white. Again look for comfort and performance. Full leath glove with raised finger padding and knuckles, perforated to breath nicely as well.

Pants: this is wear I am stuck. I want to find a nice leather pant that is comfortable to wear. When I went to look at my gear they didn't have any alpinestars pants minus the ones with the knee pucks. Overkill for the riding I will be doing.

Boots: I chose the white and red alpinestars SMX-5. No other boot even came close to comfort. Very sleek and mobile boot. Plenty of perforation I can tell airflow will not be an issue. Protection is spot on In the places I know would need to be addressed the most.

Incase you were wondering. Yes I love alpinestars. Only gear I would wear in offload for 12+ years. They brand and Product have never let me down.

Now for the riding I will be doing. This will be a weekend toy and occasional bike night adventure out. No track days no racing and no real hard street riding planned. I say planned because I know how I am with hobbies. Starts a hobby ends up a need to win or compete.

I feel the gear I chose with offer me the best overall comfort protection and breath ability in material when riding. Again I'm from central fl our summers are brutal.

Any suggestions would be nice. Jacket gloves and boots I already own. Pants I am still looking and helmet is just waitingon me to pick a bike.

Thanks in advance,
Brandon

Captcha

Also the reason in looking for criticism and suggestions is my gear has all been bought locally so it is easily exchangable. Also I have no experience with on road gear. Maybe there are brands out the just as good or better then those I have chosen and for the riding situations I will be in.

RandiZ

florida gear

From 10years riding in Tampa, I could not ride in leather in Florida summers. I got perforated with armor. I'm looking for a good pants option myself. I'm in NYC now. But I'm just too hot in August. I'm a gal of a certain age when my internal thermometer is up too high most of the time anyways.

Captcha

I completely agree I probably won't do much riding jun to August months. But it's also the reason I went with white vs any other color. I wear business suits year round and just in my house I can tell my Indy jacket is cooler than one of my wool coats. But then is in a 72 degree house not in Florida sun.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Captcha

I am in lake county. Exact center of the state and the only city with hills and twisties. 15-20 minutes south west of Disney.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

Captcha

I am along the class in the next month on my friends ninja 650. It is actually now state required in fl. I don't mind that though.

Captcha

I did like his gear though. He came in my branch yesterday. Sunglasses gloves shorts collared shit open toe and heel sandals and a liter bike.

Last edited:

Nvenus27

What are your thoughts of your RX-Q. Really want to buy one as my first helmet, rather than buying a lesser quality helmet first and then shelling out big bucks later down the road when I realize that I really want the better quieter Arai RX-Q

What are your thoughts.

Nvenus27

The fact that you want to wear gear, that you're planning ahead and getting it before you actually get the bike, and that you're putting this kind of thought into it is the biggest plus possible. So far your choices are great. Particularly the glove choice. Most new riders make the mistake of wearing short gloves, then are surprised if they go down and their sleeve pulls up they end up covered in rash on their forearm. Full gauntlet gloves are the only way to go IMO on the street.

For pants, if you're not planning on hard riding and/or you don't want the look of a leather pant with knee pucks, you may want to consider getting a pair of kevlar lined jeans and getting some good armored knee/shin guards and armored shorts. You may find it hard to to find a good leather pant without knee pucks. While the kevlar jeans and armor underneath won't be quite as good as wearing leathers, it's a very good option. The kevlar provides much better abrasion resistance than regular denim,(not as good as leather though) and getting the armor underneath will give you the impact resistance you need. It's a much more casual look and still provides good protection.

As for this statement below:

that was exactly what I said 2 1/2 years ago. lol If you told me then that I would be riding the way I do, I'd tell you you're nuts. Not that there's anything wrong with getting a bike to just enjoy the road and cruise.

Overall it seems like you're taking the proper steps and getting into riding at the right pace. Have you taken the MSF course? I know you mentioned you've been riding for years off road, but the street is a very different thing and I know guys who've ridden for a long time off road and learned a lot in the MSF class. Just something to consider.
I love your bike. Could you be so kind to give me the specifics of your exhaust mod. It looks fantastic.

Hopefully I will be carving the roads here in Michigan in about a year or so.