FZ6R Down..... and totaled...

fz6r_zer0

Hi everyone,

So it's been a couple days but on Saturday, I got into an accident. Single motorcycle.

My plan was to go get lunch and then meet up with cjsFZ6R for a nice ride. I took an on-ramp a little too hot, dragged a knee but the angle of the ramp changed and I ended up drifting towards the side of the ramp, where gravel was waiting for me. The bike slid and threw me about 50 feet (says the police). The bike went into the guard rail.

I felt like a ragdoll. I was going about 45mph and had no control over my body. I knew that my body was flying through the air, hit my head twice on different sides so I must have flipped multiple times, and slid on my chest for about 10 feet.

I was not ATGATT, no jacket. Got some wicked road rash on my forearms and left knee. And a bunch of cuts on my back and chest. Also had a laceration on my left arm that needed stitching. I tried getting the paramedics to get pictures of my wounds but no dice.

I was in the hospital for 9 hours and having the doctors clean my wounds was almost more painful than the actual accident. Luckily, no breaks or anything and my back/spine are okay. I am very lucky to have survived that with just road rash. I am on crutches and a knee immobilizer because of bruising.

I went to the impound to pick up the bike thinking, okay, its going to look bad, but I can fix it. Wrong (see attachments). The fork is completely wrecked and the left side is basically gone. Frame sliders didn't protect it at all, they are actually still in tact on both sides.

My insurance will not cover it because I did not get that coverage. So... a $5000 loss. Plan now is to take off any parts that are still good (I'll be selling any aftermarket parts so check the forum) and saving up money for maybe another bike. I will probably want another FZ6R because I am in love with this bike.

From now on, ATGATT for me whenever I ride again.

Attachments

cavcuz05

Bummer...atleast you are okay...bikes are replaceable... and if you get a new bike full coverage should be a must...

also if the rearset are in decent shape im trying to fine an extra set to cut for track days seeing as i dont ride 2 up anymore

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

iSpoolin

Damn, sorry to hear man! Its never a good thing seeing another rider go down.

At least your Semi ok though! Just make sure that from now on you have ATGATT.

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

gregarmer

Sorry to hear about this. Glad you're okay!

Take care and glad to hear you've changed your mind on ATGATT :thumbup:

Bigevildoer

Bummer that you're down and out, and the bike damage sure hurts too....
Can the insurance company or police write the bike off as irrepairable? If not, you may be able to get it up and running again for well under the $5K you're thinking of.

If the frame is straight, it looks like the main damage is the front end and the fairings.
You may be able to get a complete front end from an R6 (may be a direct bolt-on if you're lucky... don't know if it would fit without modification, but there's a chance) on Fleabay.

You could also consider turning it into a track bike -- I ride track every once in a while, and that's the only place I'll put a knee down. No need for it on the street, as it's far too dangerous due to potential crap on the road (as you found out). Not only can your wheels slide out into a low side, but your knee could also hit some debris from truck tires, 2x4's or whatever.

Seriously consider turning it into a track bike if the frame is straight. Could no doubt mount some R6 race bodywork with some fabbed up brackets and mounts. Sure, it's not going to be the fastest bike out there, but you'll still have fun. Biggest mod needed would be the R6 forks - the stock ones just won't cut it, and the brakes would be "iffy" at best.

Later!

b_who

Glad to here your ok
For what u described of how u crash and what u were wearing glad ur ok. Could of bin a whole lot worse specially with no jacket

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Hellgate

Wow, I hope you learned several lessons on that outing... :shakehead:

Get well soon.

Spunky99

That engine would be perfect for a swap into a quad or a shifter kart....

fz6r_zer0

First,

thanks so much for the kind words everyone. means a lot. as for the bike, i'm just going to part it out and hopefully buy another fz6r in due time. i am going to want one thats as close to stock as possible as part of the fun for me is modding it. i will stay on the forums and keep an eye out for any questions i can answer with my knowledge and for potential sales.

Bummer...atleast you are okay...bikes are replaceable... and if you get a new bike full coverage should be a must...

also if the rearset are in decent shape im trying to fine an extra set to cut for track days seeing as i dont ride 2 up anymore
Rearset?

did your tank and right side survive? my tank has a small dent in it now and my passenger foot peg is slightly bent (would need the entire 'wing'), so I may be able to help with stock parts/pieces if the price is right.

speedy recovery thoughts your way!
I believe the tank is in good condition and which side passenger peg do you need? What do you mean by wing?

I'll make a full parts list shortly after I can get out and take off a lot of parts.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

rskinz6r

glad your ok. Def. something i dont wanna encounter. From you pics it looks like your right side is ok. I do need a few parts from the right side if you ever part out or swap parts. My 6r went down last week and some stuff on the right got messed up...PM me and let me know