Forks

owldaddy

I'm kind of surprised powder coating hasn't been mentioned. That would be the perfect product for this job, it comes in many colors, and it will last the life of the bike.

6R Blackout

Powder coating

I'm kind of surprised powder coating hasn't been mentioned. That would be the perfect product for this job, it comes in many colors, and it will last the life of the bike.
Hey Owldaddy would you be able to give me more info on powder coating. Where do you get the materials what you will need etc. I never thought of it, don't know how to do it. Thanks for the insight hope the see you post something soon.:thumbup:

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

6R Blackout

Ouch!!

::
I think the only problem some might have with powder coating the forks is that you have to remove them from the bike to have it done. It will last though, not sure what the cost is either.
:banghead::I am not sure if I want to remove the forks, thats a little more than I wanted to go. Well I may just paint anyway, I will probably wait till I need a new front tire, then I will either paint them or get them painted.:don'tknow:

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member
Last edited:

ChrisFZ6R09

^ x2

I think this is going to be your best bet, unless you can find some used ones from the yellow bike and throw them on. Of course that will require removal and some cost.

Paint...even if it's a $0.97 job...after sanding you can always remove if you just don't like it or it doesn't stay.

iSpoolin

Plastidip holds up well. I use it on my cars wheels. Lay down 3 coats of Plastidip, and 2 coats of Gold paint on top of that. So I get the color and I want and it still peels off just like plastidip. Its actually very durable. 20k miles and my wheels are still golden (in color and shape haha).

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

cavcuz05

anyone considering polishing them?

Fulkon

I found this thread while doing a little searching. I would like to hear more about this plastidip. Who has used it? Do you have closeup pics of your wheels that we can see iSpoolin?

skyrider1977

Powder coating would definitely be the way to go but it would be much more involved. I am considering painting mine black and I don't mind taking them off to do it. The problem with powder coating is that after they spray them they have to bake in an oven, which means the forks would most likely have to be fully disassembled so because of the oil and all the rubber seals.

skyrider1977

So I finally got around to painting my forks. I used etching primer and semi-gloss black paint. I did take the forks off the bike so I could do a better job on them. I sanded them with some red scotch brite pads then cleaned them really good, masked them off and applied two coats of primer and two coats of topcoat. I am definitely happy with how they turned out. So glad to be rid of those damn silver forks. :cool:

Attachments

skyrider1977

how did you go about getting the forks off?
I put the bike up on stands, both front and back. I Had to take off the front fender first in order to fit the stem in the hole and I also took off the horn mounting bracket which gave me a little more clearance with the stand. I then took off the brake calipers and hung them from the frame with zip ty's to keep the weight off the brake lines. Then take the front wheel off. All you have to do to get the wheel off is loosen the pinch bolt (6mm allen I think), then remove the axle bolt. It comes out a lot easier if you hold the wheel with one hand to support the weight of it then pull the bolt out. Once the wheel is off all you have to do is loosen the upper and lower triple clamp bolts. I have Apex clip ons on my bike so I had to remove those too. After you got the triple clamp bolts loose, you can very carefully put a flat head screwdriver in the "crack" of the lower triple clamp and very gently twist the screwdriver in order to spread the triple clamp a bit, but make sure you are holding the fork with the other hand cause it might slide out once you twist the screwdriver. Do the same thing for the other side. Then just do it all in reverse to put it back together. There is a sticky for all the torque specs in the "technical" section of the forum. Hope this helps.. :iconbeer:

boomer1

Blacked out Forks

I just plasti Dipped my forks on the weekend. This stuff is awesome....
Re and Re the front tire was simple and very little masking to do.
Wipe area with alcohol and you're ready to spray. Very durable, looks great and if you don't like it, it just peels off.
Bought spray in U.S. at Home Depot for $6. Here it is close to $20 depending on where you go.
I highly recommend it.
:rockon: