First Accident!

DanielW0830

First "Accident!"

This morning I said.. "Today is the day to have my first ride!" :D

I checked my air pressure, (Pump gauge was always showing 40psi so I need a new one) !

I lubed the chain. (got some on my hands...)

Started to lube the clutch cable, when my hand slipped from the clutch cable (Note to self... get lube off hands before squeezing the clutch) and the darn clutch crushed my fingernail and finger! :eek:

My nail is split in a T shape where to top of the T is towards my hand.
(Boy that thing closes strong)

So no riding for me until it heals enough to put a glove on. :rant:

Has this happened to anyone else? Or am I just that clumsy?

Last edited:

Heineken

Elite Member

DanielW0830

Im sure there are other "dangerous" spots

I think, when doing any automotive/cycle repairs, paying attention and taking it slow is best.

I was trying to prep the bike for this mornings ride, the air pump gauge slowed me down, and may have been in a hurry.

Rrrrrrr.

NoDoze

Ouch! Sorry to hear bud. Heal fast so you can ride soon :)

iSpoolin

Put some black tape around that bitch and go ride!

bigguybbr

Detrich

sorry to hear about the mishap... heal up soon and be more careful next time :)

one thing that i think everyone should be reminded of is that it's always a VERY BAD IDEA to do any mods or changes or big maintenance to your bike right before a ride...

ALWAYS perform the TCLOCKS pre-ride checks. but, set aside separate day & time to do any maintenance or mods, because you need to allow time to do some test riding to verify the bike operates fine after you've done whatever it is you've done to it.

Don't be foolish and go changing things up on your bike right before a ride... the last thing that you need is to find out a few miles later that you did something improperly or something came loose or something is now not operating as you expected.

the best case is your bike becomes inoperable and you need a tow. the worse case is you crash, mess up your bike, and wind up in the hospital.

i provide 2 examples that happened to my friends this past weekend...

example #1. person decides that he doesnt like the throttle action on his bike 1 hour before our canyon ride. he takes apart the entire throttle mechanism, makes everyone wait an extra hour because now it's making him late. and, then the icing on the cake is on the ride he finds out his throttle gets stuck at some parts. he also low-sides on a turn, which may or may not have been caused by the throttle...

example #2. person adds pre-mix to the bike at fill-up before a big ride. person doesn't really allow enough time to see what it does. up in the canyons, the engine completely siezes up and we all get stuck for hours in no-man's land waiting for his bike to get towed. normally a leisurely ride back down the canyon in the daytime is no big deal... but try doing it at 9pm in the pitch dark because everyone had to wait for hours and is now tired, dehydrated, and cold. one person's mishap affects the collective safety of the entire group.

when you ride in a group, your individual safety affects the entire group.what you do to your bike, inevitably puts your friends in danger too- if not directly then circumstantially.

so, responsible riding goes beyond just gear and riding safely. it also involves using good common sense! :)

sorry for sounding a bit preachy today. but, given my recent experiences, i feel that we all need to be reminded :)

Last edited:

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

anson650

It is okay to do things fast. It is not okay to be in a hurry. When you are in a hurry you are focusing on a future outcome and you are not in the moment. Focus on the task at hand.
get well and ride!
Anson

NoDoze

ALWAYS perform the TCLOCKS pre-ride checks.
All though I do my TCLOCKS inspections, I still take a few seconds (minutes?) to put the words to this acronym. :banghead: Haha! So, here's a reminder for everyone (or just me) for what it stands for.

T - Tires & Wheels
C - Controls
L - Lights
O - Oil
C - Chassis
K - Kickstand

Here's a website that has a detailed check list.

And here's a printable one.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Detrich

lol... Marty, i need an acronymn to remember your acronymn. hahahaha

but u got the idea down. :)