Whew, finally!

1. Signed up for MSF a month ago
  2. Got bike 2 weeks ago
  3. Got the title on tuesday
  4. Title/tax/tags/insurance done on tuesday as well
  5. Yesterday took the written DMV test for obtaining my permit
  6. Last night installed lowering link, dropped front forks 1"
  7. Today, will be my first ride!!!!!

Good luck. Rode my bike today to work after 2 crap weather weeks we had here.

Good luck man. I just took my msf course last weekend. I was a wuss and waited until after the course to try out my fz6r.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

For 2-up, you really have to change the way you ride completely. Two things:

- Passenger Instruction: This is very important. Tell your passenger to just sit as still as possible. They should just sit upright and not shift around. They should lean naturally with the bike when it leans. Also, when I tell my passengers that when I brake hard, it's OK for them to brace themselves against my lower back if necessary, but it's of course better not to press on me at all.

- Balance: When you have a passenger, you need to be actively balancing the bike at all times, and especially when going slow or stopping. Tiny shifts from the passenger will totally throw off your balance. This used to freak me out, but I learned that simply by being aware at all times, I could keep the bike stable and upright. By EXPECTING you passenger to be shifting randomly and unexpectedly, you can respond instantly and compensate for their movement.

Of course a really good passenger hardly moves, but no one can be expected to stay stationary all the time.

I've always really enjoyed two-up riding. You just have to be aware that it is completely different from solo riding. I do find that I do everything super smoothly when there's a passenger, including braking, accelerating and turning.

I ride 2-up with my wife all the time, but I would say not having even a 100 miles of riding experience is too soon to ride with a passenger. As a matter of fact, I have not taken her on a ride on any of my new bikes until I logged 500-1000 miles and I'm confident that I know the bike.

Hold off on the passenger for now.

Thank you! Excellent tips. I will be riding a lot more alone before I have her on it long term.

Thank you as well!

My wife is actually pretty good at not moving around much. She will lift up over bumps taking my lead. I really enjoy riding two up and will take every precaution to ride safely especially with another persons safety in mind.

why do you lift up over bumps?

Last edited:

Back