faster bikes with cheap insurance

lwclancers

Progressive was the best I found when shopping for my bike. All my insurance was with SF, but their way of rating bikes was assinine. Progressive by far did their homework on how to properly rate and cover bikes. I used them for my original cruiser and now on FZ6R. I pay $230 a year now :)

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

yillbs

I just got my fz6r and it is plenty fast. But I feel that I may outgrow it soon. My question does anyone know of a faster bike without expensive insurance? Please list bike and carrier. Most of my driving is around town. So I am more interested in 0-60 times and comfort for 2 people
What determining factors lead you to buy the fz6r? And did you buy used or new ?

Detrich

$230/ year is dirt cheap for 2 bikes. o_O
what level of coverage? my insurance is like 3xs that. lol.

i'm insured with AAA, and when I had the '09 FZ6R, it was around $575/ year for 100/300/250 liability, uninsured motorist, full comprehensive & collision. My R1 & R6 are both insured with AAA but just a bit more.

power toys are an expensive hobby. :/

Last edited:

arse

being Canada insurance might be different, I go to a online insurance quote site and compare the costs there.
The fastest non sport bike I have had was a Honda 919....was rated as a standard but for basically stock bike sure did not go like one :)

p.s. don't buy one

Curious as to why you do not recommend the 919. It's got a bit of a cult following, and for me it's everything the fz6r just couldn't quite pull off, minus the 919's suspension.

glorp

Curious as to why you do not recommend the 919. It's got a bit of a cult following, and for me it's everything the fz6r just couldn't quite pull off, minus the 919's suspension.
To ride solo it was awesome, smooth,handling,braking...just a great feeling bike.
I took my wife for a short trip, 20 miles in the city. We parked and started walking. She complained of a massive headache and was not feeling very well, a half hour later she was fine. When we rode home same thing with her headache. It got me thinking, since I had gotten the bike the back of my jacket always stank of exhaust (its an undertail twin muffler) I did some googling, and found a lady had sued Honda because of the danger of recirculating carbon monoxide from the exhaust design. Details were sketchy, but Honda apparently designed a standard exhaust exiting by the footpeg as part of her lawsuit. Honda only gave me the regular auto response emails to my inquiry.
With summers short as they are, I did not want to waste time trying to find a solution for riding two up and sold the bike (and warning the new buyer)

pkoko

What determining factors lead you to buy the fz6r? And did you buy used or new ?
I bought it new. And the determining factors were comfort on the seat and the low ride height. I wanted an inline 4 as I liked the sound of one. I didn't want to have a headache riding a v-twin. I also wanted something that looked bright and easy to spot on the road. Also being a beginner; I wanted something that had enough power so that I will not outgrow it. And not to much to scare me. I also wanted something economical in running costs. Add all those factors and the Yamaha fits the bill.

I also like the location of the exhaust so a passenger doesn't risk getting burnt from it. I also liked that the bike was built in Japan and had excellent fit and finish.

I also bought this bike without a test drive; so it was really hard to,judge it.

lwclancers

Its just one bike, I wrote that wrong. My cruiser was $330 a year. The first year on my fz6r it was 280, last year 260 and this year 230 :) I actually just checked and its 216 now!My coverage is decent...50/100K liability, 50/100k uninsured motorists, 1k medical expenses, 1k deductible for both collisions and none collision, 100 per week for income loss, and towing.

Now that my rates are so low, I may increase the coverage some, especially if I'm able to ride more. I just hit 6k miles and I've had the bike over 3 years. Its good to know I have decent coverage, not the best, but at least I've got my bases covered.

I also opted for a high deductible, because it doesn't take much to total the bike, especially with fairings, etc.

$230/ year is dirt cheap for 2 bikes. o_O
what level of coverage? my insurance is like 3xs that. lol.

i'm insured with AAA, and when I had the '09 FZ6R, it was around $575/ year for 100/300/250 liability, uninsured motorist, full comprehensive & collision. My R1 & R6 are both insured with AAA but just a bit more.

power toys are an expensive hobby. :/

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

yillbs

I bought it new. And the determining factors were comfort on the seat and the low ride height. I wanted an inline 4 as I liked the sound of one. I didn't want to have a headache riding a v-twin. I also wanted something that looked bright and easy to spot on the road. Also being a beginner; I wanted something that had enough power so that I will not outgrow it. And not to much to scare me. I also wanted something economical in running costs. Add all those factors and the Yamaha fits the bill.

I also like the location of the exhaust so a passenger doesn't risk getting burnt from it. I also liked that the bike was built in Japan and had excellent fit and finish.

I also bought this bike without a test drive; so it was really hard to,judge it.
So, you got the bike for all the right reasons it seems. how often are you hitting 11k RPM's? Are you gunning it every time you take off from a light? explain the type of driving your doing with this bike. I know you said you are interested in 0-60 times.. but elaborate a little.

pkoko

So, you got the bike for all the right reasons it seems. how often are you hitting 11k RPM's? Are you gunning it every time you take off from a light? explain the type of driving your doing with this bike. I know you said you are interested in 0-60 times.. but elaborate a little.
I only have 250 miles so far. So no 11k rpms just yet. I honestly want something with around 60-75 ft-lbs of torque instead of the current 40. I just want something that pulls smoother from 4-8k rpms. I want to be able to out accelerate most cars in 2nd gear when I am existing a corner around 15 mph. I want something that can get out of the way easily in case some motorist swerves into my late. I currently worry that with 2 people the fz6r will really bog down at less than 7k+.

I will not do the change now. I just want to know my options from other posters on this forum.

yillbs

I only have 250 miles so far. So no 11k rpms just yet. I honestly want something with around 60-75 ft-lbs of torque instead of the current 40. I just want something that pulls smoother from 4-8k rpms. I want to be able to out accelerate most cars in 2nd gear when I am existing a corner around 15 mph. I want something that can get out of the way easily in case some motorist swerves into my late. I currently worry that with 2 people the fz6r will really bog down at less than 7k+.

I will not do the change now. I just want to know my options from other posters on this forum.
im sure you mentioned the weights elsewhere in this thread.. but everyone got off topic, so i don't really want to use it. I weigh 220 lbs, and my fiance weighs 180 ish just after our baby was born. I put us both on a ninja 650R... sagged a bit, but preload fixed that. Anyways, it was a big boggy, but it was also still super fun, I havn't done it on my fz6r yet, but if you set preload to 7+ it shouldn't really be an issue.. as long as you don't go over the weight. Now, as far as acceleration goes.. well sir you have plenty.

The dodge viper accelerates to 60MPH in about 3.8 seconds... which is the same as your little bike there.

riding the bike ( once broken in ) in, and around the 7k RPM range will change the impressions you have of the bike. I just hit 700 miles and im winding it up pretty high as of late, and I too thought the same things you did. The bike is really a new bike when you can keep the rpm's at 7k around corners, and not worry about " seating things " incorrectly. I just keep telling myself, I have a kick *** looking bike.. I paid less, and I can still do every bit of the fun stuff a supersport can do. So while your bike may be on the slower end of the bike spectrum, your still faster then just about every car that's in production. change a few things, and make it yours. It's still a bike that's sexy fast, and decently priced. Try to look at it that way, versus what you " could " have gotten. I wonder what i " could have gotten ", Im seeing 2011 r6's around the price I paid for my fz6r. Which somewhat makes me sad. I just keep reminding myself how happy I am with the bike I have, and an upgrade isn't even something I need to play with. i ride with friends who all have very fast bikes, considerably faster than mine, and we still have a blast :) :catfight:

RoadTrip

A 600, I-4 is typically weak on the bottom, the power is made at higher RPMS, so gear selection going into the corner is important for how much power you are going to have on the exit. For a lot of folks, this is part of the fun of these type engines, it requires the operator to stay busy and makes the learning curve longer (hobbies with long learning curves last longer).

But, other riders just want to ride and not have to shift all the time, this is where a liter sized engine comes in, you simply put it in third gear and don't really have to shift much (of course, you have to be more careful with the throttle mid corner). Sounds like you should be targeting the bigger engine once you upgrade, however try and extract all the power from your current 600 before giving up on it, you might end up liking the high reving engine more - e.g. liter bikes are so powerful, you may never get past 8K, and you won't get it to scream like a racing machine.

Detrich

Riding position, curb weight, and high-end power are the biggest differences, imo. Ultimately, the ergonomics determine which bike u want to ride... A new FZ6R & 1 or 2 year old R6 are fairly close in price- only about $1500. If u can get used to the ergo's of the R6, the lighter weight & higher power easily make it a no brainer to me. But if u like to ride long distances as a tourer, the FZ6R is prolly a better choice because it's so comfortable.

im sure you mentioned the weights elsewhere in this thread.. but everyone got off topic, so i don't really want to use it. I weigh 220 lbs, and my fiance weighs 180 ish just after our baby was born. I put us both on a ninja 650R... sagged a bit, but preload fixed that. Anyways, it was a big boggy, but it was also still super fun, I havn't done it on my fz6r yet, but if you set preload to 7+ it shouldn't really be an issue.. as long as you don't go over the weight. Now, as far as acceleration goes.. well sir you have plenty.

The dodge viper accelerates to 60MPH in about 3.8 seconds... which is the same as your little bike there.

riding the bike ( once broken in ) in, and around the 7k RPM range will change the impressions you have of the bike. I just hit 700 miles and im winding it up pretty high as of late, and I too thought the same things you did. The bike is really a new bike when you can keep the rpm's at 7k around corners, and not worry about " seating things " incorrectly. I just keep telling myself, I have a kick *** looking bike.. I paid less, and I can still do every bit of the fun stuff a supersport can do. So while your bike may be on the slower end of the bike spectrum, your still faster then just about every car that's in production. change a few things, and make it yours. It's still a bike that's sexy fast, and decently priced. Try to look at it that way, versus what you " could " have gotten. I wonder what i " could have gotten ", Im seeing 2011 r6's around the price I paid for my fz6r. Which somewhat makes me sad. I just keep reminding myself how happy I am with the bike I have, and an upgrade isn't even something I need to play with. i ride with friends who all have very fast bikes, considerably faster than mine, and we still have a blast :) :catfight:

arse

To ride solo it was awesome, smooth,handling,braking...just a great feeling bike.
I took my wife for a short trip, 20 miles in the city. We parked and started walking. She complained of a massive headache and was not feeling very well, a half hour later she was fine. When we rode home same thing with her headache. It got me thinking, since I had gotten the bike the back of my jacket always stank of exhaust (its an undertail twin muffler) I did some googling, and found a lady had sued Honda because of the danger of recirculating carbon monoxide from the exhaust design. Details were sketchy, but Honda apparently designed a standard exhaust exiting by the footpeg as part of her lawsuit. Honda only gave me the regular auto response emails to my inquiry.
With summers short as they are, I did not want to waste time trying to find a solution for riding two up and sold the bike (and warning the new buyer)
Gotcha. Mine definitely has a little Stink but nothing headache inducing. My gf much prefers the 919 to fz6r. Lots of people who didn't like the stink switched to the side mount cbr900 exhaust. The set of yoshimuras on my bike leave me and my gear smelling like I was on a motorcycle. I don't mind it for the amazing ride for 4 grand.

CrazyCawi

go with an aprilla tuono