Error Code 19

• Thread starter Deleted member 9794
  • Start date

D

Deleted member 9794

I'm randomly getting error code 19 when attempting to start my bike.

Symptoms: bike turns over strong but won't start, I turn the key off, wait a second, try again - most of the time it starts on second attempt but sometimes it takes 3 attempts. I have also had the bike cut off twice while riding and throw the error, both when attempting to take off from a stop.

I have tried starting in 1st gear and neutral, that doesn't seem to make a difference at all on whether I will get the error or not. Also, it doesn't seem to matter if the kickstand is down while in neutral or not.

Now having said all of that, random search results on this wonderful forum seem to state error code 19 may mean an issue with the side stand switch, BUT on the fz6 website, it means:

from manual

Fault Code: 19
Diagnostic Code: 20
Symptom: Open circuit in the input line of ECU No4 terminal is detected when the start switch is pressed.
Probable cause of malfunction:
Open circuit in wiring harness (ECU coupler).
Malfunction in ECU.
Fault Code: 21

hope this helps

Is there anyone here with a shop manual that can verify what's right?
If anyone has had this problem, any clue what I should look for?

84479052.jpg

21432w.jpg

Start with your kickstand switch. Make sure connections are nice and tight and not corroded. Verify your connections (2 i believe) up at the clutch lever are connected snug as well.

Please update this post if you figure out for sure what the problem is. There are no threads on this forum about your condition. Lots on the R6 and R1 forums though. Guess that means it's not common on our bikes.

Good thinking, definitely will do.

I finally got the bike to the shop. The issue as stated by the repair order:

Recommendations:
CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON. FOUND THAT RELAY BETWEEN KICKSTAND SWITCH AND ECU SHORTED OUT DAMAGING HARNESS.

Resolution:
REPLACED REGULATOR AND REPAIRED WIRING HARNESS

So... it was: Part number - 5VK-81950-40-00 - RELAY ASSY

The shop charged:
$50.88 for the part
$187.50 for 2.5 hours of labor
$14.06 for "shop supplies"
total = $252.44

The good part is, it was all covered by the extended warranty so I didn't pay a dime so that was awesome.

If I would have had the time I think I could have fixed it myself BUT I'm pretty sure I would not have been able to diagnose the problem on the first try and would have wasted money trying to troubleshoot and find the issue. Free beats wasting time everyday of the week especially considering that the relay is located under the seat, no where near the kickstand as I would have expected.

Number 27:
ELECTRICAL_2.png

Back