Easy mounted (and cheap) top case

Roaddawg

I bought the case shown in the pics on Ebay for $65 delievered. The case is huge (probably about the size of the Givi 55 liter or maybe bigger) and is actually made pretty well. I was planning on making some kind of bracket for the metal base plate (that comes with it) and mount the bag over the passenger seat. Anyways, as I was laying the base plate on the rear seat to generate some ideas, I realized I could mount the plate using the brackets that came with it and the passenger handle rail. I removed my hard saddle bags that I fabricated on there and just have the top case on there now. I will include pics on how I did it and what it all looks like when I get home and get a chance to post them up. But here's some teaser pics of the case for now.

EDIT: Re-uploaded pics due to them missing.

Attachments

Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

Links you teaser tease tease! Lol

Roaddawg

haha...sorry, I was running out the door from work. Here's a link to the buyer I bought from (I bid on this one, but there's a buy now one for a little more...same seller): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycle-Scooter-X-Large-Trunk-Top-Case-fits-2-Helmet-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20b9b9fb8fQQitemZ140554926991QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Motorcycle Scooter X Large Trunk Top Case fits 2 Helmet | eBay

OK, here our the pics of my big @$$ top case. I know it's bigger than many would like, but I'd rather it be a little bigger than too small. The hard saddlebag I rigged up worked good, but were too small for many tasks I had. I was getting tired of bungee netting. In the pics, you'll see two brass screws that go in between the grab bar and the seat. They are mounted very sturdy, but I do want to figure out two more mounting points. However, I rode to work today with it on the back and it worked great as is. Anyways, here's the pics. If you have any more questions, let me know.

EDIT: Had to re-upload the pics. 4/21/2012

Attachments

Last edited:

Roaddawg

Here's one more pic showing 4 gallons of milk and room to spare! Although, I wouldn't put that much weight in it yet until I figure out the two other mounting locations/brackets. If this was my primary transportation, this case would be a must. I bet I could fit three to four bags of groceries in that thing.

CrazyCawi

I wonder if there is a way to mount it while still allowing a passenger!?!?!?!?

Roaddawg

I wonder if there is a way to mount it while still allowing a passenger!?!?!?!?
Yeah, there is, but I'd need to buy/make a rack. Givi and a few others make them, but this was a cheap/easy solution to a top case.

Here's pics of Givi's, sw-motech, and Yamaha Canada racks:

Last edited:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Roaddawg

Yes. I slide the plate back a little more and was able to get four mounting points on the grab bar rail. I used two shorter carriage bolt for the rear and the ones that came with the case for the two front ones. The mounting plate is mounted very firm and solid. When I only had the two mounting points, I had rode with it back and to work (102 miles round trip) and it worked great. My leg from work to home, I folded up a whole suit (shoes includes) and some other heavy items and it worked great. Didn't even know it was back there...so much, that I kept reaching back to make sure the case didn't fall off!) Now, with the four mounting points, I feel it will be a lot more secured. The pic showing the mounting brackets shows the brackets and looks like they really stick out, but looking at the bike from the back or sides, you can't see the brackets. I'm going to paint them black next time I take them off, just to conceal it more. I'm very happy with it. The only draw back about mounting it this way, is that you won't have quick access to under the passenger seat. But, it only takes maybe two minutes max, to un-mount the plate.

The case itself...I'm very pleased with the thickness and construction of it. For $65.00....it can't be beat. The top is nice and glossy painted, the red reflectors on the back help with rear visibility, it locks, its huge, but not too crazy. I've had quite a few compliments on it already. I've had people say, "That's huge!, but it looks good."

I'm happy with it, and if you can take it off the plate in one second if you don't need the storage. If you have more questions or want other pics, let me know.

BrueThru

Sentient Being
Elite Member

Roaddawg

Thats a really nice alternative to the GIVIs I've been looking at. Damn E55 is 5 times that price.
$300+ or $65....the math is easy. Looking at Givi's website, the case I bought looks to be in smaller than the E55 and about the same size as the V46, maybe a little bigger. So its probably around 50 liters. Superzoom has the V46 and it looks to be about the same size.

yfz6r

I've found some slightly smaller ones for 50 shipped but I'd really like the one you used for around 70. Looks like the perfect size to haul my junk to my parents for a few days when I go see them. I'm going to send that seller an e-mail. Thanks Roaddawg

Roaddawg

no problem...just keep looking. The one I got is basically a clone of the Givi E470. I think its the largest trunk they sell. It definitely holds a lot of crap. I just took a full suit, shoes, and three shirts to work the other day....along with my lunch!

If you do find another one, as long as it has a similar mounting plate, you should be able to rig it to work. Although, I've already 'tested' this one out for you...takes the risk out of it, which is good.

yfz6r

Contacted the seller. He said if it's not listed, he don't have it and probably won't carry it again. Oh well. I'll settle for something else. Going to go the ebay route and stay away from the super expensive solutions.

Sparkxx1

Nice case! The only reasons I'm going givi is because Kappa isn't that much of a money saver and i need my rear pillion seat to be completely usable. I'm probably going to be buying a backrest for my passenger.

kma_jg

That is probably not more than 50 liters. Mine is 48 liters and also fits two helmets. I like your bix with all the reflection stuff on the sides as well

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk