DO NOT use Goo Gone!!!!!

Never had a problem with Goo Gone.. even used it on my tank last week.. i stand by it. tough luck but something isn't right

I agree. The tank's been repainted. Best bet is to get a random orbital polisher (it'll save you hours of slow, tedious and less effective rubbing), some mild clear coat safe compound - I like Meguiar's - and go over the area. Be sure to go "up-down, then left-right" and only with enough pressure to keep the polisher where you want it. The Goo Gone probably reacted with whatever top coat was used, but there should be enough of the top coat left that you should be able to get the gloss back so that it looks like the rest of the tank. Apply a coat of polish/sealer, and then a coat of wax for hardness.

Last edited:
Too bad u live on the other coast, or I could bring my detailing tools over and help take a look.

Whatever u do, use a polish with a very mild abrasive. The 3M rubbing compounds are actually very strong. If u use that, be very careful and start off gentle/ light and check your progress.

As soon as u start to see the haze begin to vanish then u know u r close and get ready to stop. Applying too much correcting compound will eat away too much clear coat unnecessarily.

Also, just to clarify. When i was using the Goo Gone it was just to remove the adhesive residue the sticker left behind. I still spent time peeling the sticker off as best I could FIRST.

Last edited:
Okay, so I just washed and detailed my bike. WD40 kind of helped with the stickers on the swing arm, but did not help on the plastic. I was able to take one sticker off with ALL the adhesive using a hairdryer, but the other side wanted to be more difficult.

I still have left over residue on the one faring. I tried duct tape, but failed. What other methods work for removing adhesive on the swing arm and faring? By the way, the bike looks sick without the upper graphics ;)

The tank looks the same after applying some spray wax. I can rub my finger or nail over it lightly and it feels a little rough.

I assume I can compound and wax the bike myself to make it look good as new?

What type of compound and wax do you guys recommend?
rubbing alcohol....

anything over 70% is fine, 90+% is better, it's no worse than a gas spill on your paint but seeing as your bike has been repainted IDK...

I don't think you should focus on the Goo Gone. My opinion:

1.) Paper towels messed up the clear coat. You can not rub paint with paper towels, not even with just water. Use microfiber towels next time and NEVER reuse them on paint again, even after washing them. I found out the hard way why.

or (less likely)

2.) As others said, the bike has been repainted. It doesn't matter how many miles are on it. The tank could have been dented on day one. But IMO this is unlikely because the sticker was on it, it's kind of hard to replace.

P.S. You are not seeing bare metal, because bare metal is not black. Take it to a body shop, slip a guy $10 ask him to buff it with a pro tool, it should take him 2 minutes.

Hmmm, the sticker was on it so it must have been factory paint....brilliant. And a body shop guy might buff ot out for nothing, just to show off.

I think u can buy the sticker. It's a Yamaha part. It's still possible the tank was repainted.

The guy needs to put some more Goo Gone on there as a scientific experiment to see it softens the paint or if his technique did something to dull the shine.

I highly doubt it was the paper towel..I barely wiped the tank before It got too soaked and switched over to a micro fiber cloth. I'll take it to a shop next week and have them take a look at it.

Thanks!

Okay, so I just washed and detailed my bike. WD40 kind of helped with the stickers on the swing arm, but did not help on the plastic.

I still have left over residue on the one faring. I tried duct tape, but failed. What other methods work for removing adhesive on the swing arm and faring?

WD40 should work to get all the sticker residue off anything, paint or plastic. You're not using enough. It's tough to remove, because sometimes the residue gets smeared around and redeposited, but with enough WD40 and a little elbow grease, you can get all of it.

I saturated the area so well haha. It was dripping. Should I let it sit a while? I was using a micro fiber cloth to remove and didn't get too much off.

Back