Clutch less up shifting

killabee

Hey fellas,

How many of you here up shift without using the clutch on the fz6r?

I get the idea of it but I was just wondering if it's safe to do in the 6r without messing up the bike in the long run.

Your thouhts and opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.

-Jeffrey

Z3roFlaw

I'm no expert, but the manual says not to do it with our clutch because it can cause damage. I personally always pull in the clutch before shifting up or down.

But I'm sure you're going to get responses on both sides of the coin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Deanohh

This comes up over and over again. Do what you want. Another reason that I'll never buy another used bike.

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

Fizzer6R

sorry but this made me laugh....!!!! why would you want to shift without pulling the clutch in??? or why not just get a ridley automatic bike or a scooter?.
because all the fast riders do it, and it's cool

Chucker

If you are in a position where you can't afford the time to pull the clutch lever, I hope you're on the track.

Superzoom

Interesting article on clutchless upshifting...

Clutchless Shifting - Sport Rider Magazine Online

Also read a bunch of stuff on clutchless shifting. Here's what I gather:

1. It's controversial. Some say it's the shit, some say you are guaranteed to destroy your transmission.

2. Clutchless upshifting is pretty easy and safe. Clutchless downshifting is tricky and can cause the rear wheel to momentarily lock up.

3. Some believe clutchless shifting will in the long run damage your bike, but I couldn't find a single actual example or testimonial of someone doing such actual damage.

4. Some racers like to clutchless upshift. It can save time while accelerating out of corners and doesn't disturb the bike as much as the power loss of a clutched upshift.

I'm going to go out and practice a few clutchless upshifts. I've done them a bunch of times before, but never on a regular basis. I don't think I'll do them regularly, however. I'm more curious at this point how smooth I can get them.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
You have a clutch, use it. You are not a track star so there is no real benefit on the street. More chance of messing something up NOT using the clutch than there is by USING it.

Y

yellowfz

Have clutchless shifted for a long time now and never any problems.
These bikes are not a Harley. :D
People who says it hurt the trans or don't see the benefit are just jealous that they can't do it.:D

Spunky99

I've been clutchless shifting for 44 years........
It does no harm up or down.
The rear tire will lock up momentarily when downshifting.
I've never had any transmission issues or worn teeth on the gears.
Wait for it....
I only do this in the dirt riding motocross..........

Because we are in the street, I'd highly advise you not do it.
You can bend you shift forks in the transmission.
Most transmissions are constant mesh so the gears will be OK.
Downshifts if not executed perfectly will lock up the rear wheel momentarily and that will cause loss of control in the street.
Occasional clutchless shifting is fine if you match the RPMs to the gear selected as you shift and that is very tricky.
To replace the shift fork you bent will require a 100% teardown of your engine......nuff said...

Have fun

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Deanohh

I only keep my bikes for a year so I pound the shit out of everything from day one, never do any cleaning or maintenance, abuse every mechanical aspect i can think of, and wash it just before I sell it. Any result from that is the next owners problem.

JSP

Super Moderator
I only keep my bikes for a year so I pound the shit out of everything from day one, never do any cleaning or maintenance, abuse every mechanical aspect i can think of, and wash it just before I sell it. Any result from that is the next owners problem.
Note to self, never buy anything from Deanohh... ;):D