Clunking Noise While Starting Out in 1st Gear?

MattEnTheHat

Hey all,
I've noticed a funny noise recently when I'm just starting out in first gear on my bike. The sound is a sort of 'clunk' a little bit like the noise it makes when you're sitting in neutral and shift down to first. It happens as I'm just starting out in first gear, getting off the clutch, right around the point where the clutch is fully engaged. Anyone have any idea what this could be?

Some things to keep in mind:
  • It only happens in first gear (I think? It is possible that there is just too much wind noise by the time I get to second to hear it, but I don't think so).
  • It only happens when the bike is on and moving. I can let the clutch in and out all day in first gear with the bike off and it never makes the noise.
  • It seems more pronounced when the bike is cold.

Thanks for any light you can shed!

latony007

Hey my Simi Friend. hope all is well. I do not have an answer for you but havent seen you in a while so thought i would say hi :D
actually trying to move out to Simi this year, not sure we will pull it off but trying.

You have not changed the oil recently have you? I know the engine oil does the gears too so if you had an issue or used some crappy oil that might cause something, but seems not likely.

Hey all,
I've noticed a funny noise recently when I'm just starting out in first gear on my bike. The sound is a sort of 'clunk' a little bit like the noise it makes when you're sitting in neutral and shift down to first. It happens as I'm just starting out in first gear, getting off the clutch, right around the point where the clutch is fully engaged. Anyone have any idea what this could be?

Some things to keep in mind:
  • It only happens in first gear (I think? It is possible that there is just too much wind noise by the time I get to second to hear it, but I don't think so).
  • It only happens when the bike is on and moving. I can let the clutch in and out all day in first gear with the bike off and it never makes the noise.
  • It seems more pronounced when the bike is cold.

Thanks for any light you can shed!
Its normal. Its the transmission parts in neutral(not moving) and engaging first allows some parts to begin moving. Also since we have wet clutches, there is a tiny bit of power still being transferred(though very very small). I would advice changing your oil and oil filter just as Lantony said. The transmission and engine share the same oil.

MattEnTheHat

Hey my Simi Friend. hope all is well. I do not have an answer for you but havent seen you in a while so thought i would say hi :D
actually trying to move out to Simi this year, not sure we will pull it off but trying.

You have not changed the oil recently have you? I know the engine oil does the gears too so if you had an issue or used some crappy oil that might cause something, but seems not likely.
Hello! All is well with me, I have not been on the forum much lately as I've been pretty busy with school (or even riding very much, other than to and from class every day).
That is pretty cool about moving to Simi. Good luck! It would put you in very close range to some great riding... The Santa Susana pass is fun (although rather short), Box Canyon is great if you're braver than me, and obviously the Malibu area is world class. I'm sure you know all this though. Feel free to shoot me a message or something though if you have any questions about the area!
Its normal. Its the transmission parts in neutral(not moving) and engaging first allows some parts to begin moving. Also since we have wet clutches, there is a tiny bit of power still being transferred(though very very small). I would advice changing your oil and oil filter just as Lantony said. The transmission and engine share the same oil.
I have never really noticed it before though, which means it has gotten louder or more pronounced. Is that something I should be concerned about? I changed the oil about 3k miles ago, with admittedly rather mediocre oil, so maybe it is just wanting some new oil. In any case it sounds like it is not something I need to worry about right this second, I'll change the oil next time I'm home (with access to a garage, decent tools, etc. rather than my apartment complex parking lot...). Thanks for the help!

anson650

The shearing action of the transmission gears literally cuts the molecules of oil into shorter chains, reducing the lubricating capacity of the oil. Are you using motorcycle specific oil? Even using motorcycle specific synthetic oil in my XVZ1200 I noticed the normal running temp would run higher after about half way through the oil change interval. Maybe 3k is too long for the oil you used.
Anson

MattEnTheHat

The shearing action of the transmission gears literally cuts the molecules of oil into shorter chains, reducing the lubricating capacity of the oil. Are you using motorcycle specific oil? Even using motorcycle specific synthetic oil in my XVZ1200 I noticed the normal running temp would run higher after about half way through the oil change interval. Maybe 3k is too long for the oil you used.
Anson
No, I'm not using motorcycle specific oil, so that is probably the issue. It does actually seem like I've been getting worse fuel economy lately, so maybe that is related (although more likely it is because the weather is cooler than before, and 90% of my riding is the 2 miles to and from school, so the bike rarely has time to get warm). Do you think it is critical enough that I should change the oil right away or do you think it would be okay to leave for a couple hundred more miles when I'm home and can change the oil much more easily?

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

MattEnTheHat

No, Matt, noooooooooo! Change the oil and hope you don't need new clutch plates. At first I thought your noise was slap from a loose chain, but you gotta use motorcycle specific oil. As in GOTTA.
Agree 1000%, you have to use motorcycle oil as it's made for wet clutches. Normal car oil is not meant to lubricate clutches. Hope it just started and you can change oil with no damage. Full synthetic (any brand really) should give you nice quite smooth shifting.
Wellll that was probably pretty dumb of me haha. I'll change the oil right away and how for the best. Thanks guys!

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member