Chain maintenance

checkinforcode4

Just bought a 2009 FZ6R with only 3988 miles on it. It's a really clean bike but the chain is just a greasy mess. I am planning on cleaning the chain before my next ride but also wanted to clean up the front and rear sprockets. Should I just use the chain cleaning kit I already have or is there something else I should try to get the sprockets looking new again?

Just_Jim

What you have should work.

I'd also recommend a new set of tires. With such low mileage, those are probably the original tires. 11-year-old tires are too old to be safe.

checkinforcode4

I ended up using what I had and I think it came out pretty good, much better than it was. The seller bought new tires just before putting it up for sale. He got Continental ContiMotion tires both front and back (in the photo). Never had any experience with these so we'll just see how it goes. It's also time for new brake lines according to the owner's manual.
Thanks for the input.

Just_Jim

I ended up using what I had and I think it came out pretty good, much better than it was. The seller bought new tires just before putting it up for sale. He got Continental ContiMotion tires both front and back (in the photo). Never had any experience with these so we'll just see how it goes. It's also time for new brake lines according to the owner's manual.
Thanks for the input.
Go with stainless steel braided brake lines - big improvement in brake feel.

TUCCI

Just bought a 2009 FZ6R with only 3988 miles on it. It's a really clean bike but the chain is just a greasy mess. I am planning on cleaning the chain before my next ride but also wanted to clean up the front and rear sprockets. Should I just use the chain cleaning kit I already have or is there something else I should try to get the sprockets looking new again?

I used to use karosene (o-ring safe by the way)and a stiff brush on my R6, FZ6 and FZ1. I would have a piece of plastic sheet shaped so it would fit between the chain and anything that might get any solvent on. With the rear wheel lifted I would take a stiff 2" brush and work the chain in sections till all the dirt was off. Then I would take a clean rag and wrap the chain with one hand and slowly spin the tire . I would l keep going around till no more residue was left on my rag, always rotating the rag to make sure I wasn't spreading any residue to a clean area. Once the entire chain was clean then I would apply a lithium chain lube spraying it carefully while spinning the tire. The plastic barrier would keep any over-spray off the rim and motor not to mention any Kerosene from splashing on anything important during the messy part. I would use another clean rag and wrap it not quit so tight after lubing it to remove excess lube so it wouldn't spray up against the bike (how's that for neurotic). I was meticulous with my vigilance and would clean it every 300-400 miles when I couldn't stand how dirty the lube would get.

TUCCI

What you have should work.

I'd also recommend a new set of tires. With such low mileage, those are probably the original tires. 11-year-old tires are too old to be safe.
Yeah I believe 5 yrs is the max for tires bike or cars. The rubber starts to harden and lose its grip.

Bert-Aus

I used to use karosene (o-ring safe by the way)and a stiff brush on my R6, FZ6 and FZ1. I would have a piece of plastic sheet shaped so it would fit between the chain and anything that might get any solvent on. With the rear wheel lifted I would take a stiff 2" brush and work the chain in sections till all the dirt was off. Then I would take a clean rag and wrap the chain with one hand and slowly spin the tire . I would l keep going around till no more residue was left on my rag, always rotating the rag to make sure I wasn't spreading any residue to a clean area. Once the entire chain was clean then I would apply a lithium chain lube spraying it carefully while spinning the tire. The plastic barrier would keep any over-spray off the rim and motor not to mention any Kerosene from splashing on anything important during the messy part. I would use another clean rag and wrap it not quit so tight after lubing it to remove excess lube so it wouldn't spray up against the bike (how's that for neurotic). I was meticulous with my vigilance and would clean it every 300-400 miles when I couldn't stand how dirty the lube would get.
I support this level of neurosis (I follow an almost identical system)
Lube sucks when it gets flung all over the place -especially on freshly polished paint work