Car hits bike recorded on helmet cam

Bert-Aus

Excessive speed and a bad judgement call by the car driver, but she shouldn't have pulled all the way over to the right lane
Agree with this one, plus the daylight coming in like that can blind you, if you have a dirty windscreen. Later in the vid you notice looking up the road the light is really glaring and with her white jacket, helmet & silver bike combo she would have been invisible

Thankfully she seemed ok

sbhoopsfan

Scary! Lucky! And One complete ASSHOLE, JACKASS driving the car! I would have kicked his ass! Hope she is ok though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Casey (aka) Hunter77!
Really? I watched the same video an in my opinion she should have never made that turn. Granted the driver may have been going a little to fast, but she could have judged it better.

Spunky99

I don't follow.. But it's kind of late here, so maybe it's me.

I also don't fault the rider. When she pulls out, you can see way up the road, the car was nowhere to be seen. And from the looks of the front end of the car, I'd say it wasn't the first time he smashed into someone/something.
I pulled the frames out too. She looked and no car, pulled out and swung into the slow lane and then proceeded to lolligag and very slowly accelerate. That car was going at least 70MPH and not paying attention. By the time he hit the brakes it was far too late to match his speed with the slow moving bike.
Since she effectively made a U-turn in the middle of a straight away with no intersection, she made a very dangerous move. She should have accelerated a lot faster and maybe she could have kept him from raping her from behind. You can't expect traffic moving at a high rate of speed to slow down for a motorcycle moving at 25MPH.

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

bmw675

Is it just me or did the dude w/helmet cam wave to the car just before it went past. Kind of makes you wonder if his GF had cheated on him and he payed the cager to mow her down.
j/k
I saw that too. He was probably saying "slow down" and if anything, it distracted the driver from actually seeing what was in front of them.
He was trying to be helpful, but may of actually made the situation worse.

r0ar

Multiple factors as mentioned before clearly the car wasnt paying full attention to his surrounding otherwise he would have slowed regardless of the speed limit and this poor girl just didnt have the experience needed to be on the road comfortable yet so that she could see everything around her

redwing-2001

Is it just me or did the dude w/helmet cam wave to the car just before it went past. Kind of makes you wonder if his GF had cheated on him and he payed the cager to mow her down.
j/k

I would guess the car was doing ~50mph, and no you can't exactly see it before they pull out but when he checks back to the right you can see that POS cruising along. I agree, the helmet cam guy blocked the cars only escape bath, if he had gunned it and gotten behind the chick that car could have used the left lane to pass them both safely.
Yeah, it looked like that the first time I saw it too. However, I think the second motorcyclist was waving the car to slow. Could have been misinterpreted by the car driver and a minor contributing factor.

madmike

Lord Humongous
Elite Member

Sparkxx1

I have a couple of things to say about this video. In my opinion these are things I want to point out.

1. It looks like she might have been a new-ish rider, she should not have been in the lead at all.

2. Where I drive the right lane is the slow lane, so maybe she was just getting in that lane? None of the other cars seemed to be going as fast as the red car. He was at more speed then regular traffic.

3. What if there were going to make that immediate right turn? Then they would have to get into that lane anyway. When she turned I don't think she could have seen the car.

Chevyfazer

Watching it again and just how slow she did pull off, I wonder if something happened to her bike?

Stalled, sputtered, wrong gear?

Chevyfazer

Also I Keep seeing people saying the car was going really fast, and to be honest I really don't think it could have been going more than 50-55mph which is everyone's average speed where I live, might be different there but this is why.

Crash investigators have a basic formula to help them get a idea of how fast the car was going based on skid marks. The formula is R=2(5L)^2 no square root symbol on my phone or you could say R=2sqrt5L

R= speed and L= length

I have no way to measure the actual skid marks other than reference points in the video but my best guess would be that the car skidded no less than 100ft but no more than 150ft so I'll say 125ft unless someone can get a more accurate estimation of how far the car skidded

So we "know" L=125 while R=?
To find out the speed it's basic algebra from here

R=2sqrt5L R=2sqrt5x125. R=2sqrt625
R=2x25 R=50

So there is is from my best guess it looks like the car was going about 50mph

If it was going 60ish it would have skidded about 180ft, 70ish it would have skidded about 245ft and for 80ish about 320ft

MustGoFaster

An unfortunate accident, to be sure.

Here's a new party and a twist for you arm chair sleuths. How about placing blame on the ?boyfriend?/fellow rider? I would imagine since he's rocking a helmet cam and had her all armored up, he should have known better than to have her out on major roads like that if she was newish.

We must walk before we can run, and run before we achieve Ludicrous Speed.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

MustGoFaster

Seriously? Nobody got that one? Spaceballs? Man, I feel old. Rent Spaceballs you little kids. Funny stuff. Sheesh.
Haha, sorry man, didn't see the post! You totally got my reference. :D