Buying a car - Need advice !

findmadhav

Hi Friends,

I just sold my 2000 BMW last week as it was giving me problems and was taking too much of my time and money.
Now I am out to buy a relatively new car with low miles.
My requirement is low maintenance, reliability, comfort.
Have shortlisted 3 cars now:

2003 Lexus ES300 (49K miles): Dealer asking 13.7 K
2007 Honda Accord EX (40K miles): Dealer asking 13.6 K
2006 Honda Accord EX (35K miles): Dealer asking 13 K

All have clean car faxes and single owners and clean cars.
BTW all these cars are automatic transmission since my wife's gonna drive also.

I know these prices can definitely be negotiated since these are big dealerships we are talking about. I am just strongly confused between the Lexus (which is tempting me) and the Hondas.

I know that the FZ6R forum is one place I can look upon for some great advice. Please let me know as winter is here and I need to close the deal ASAP.

Last edited:

bm3schmi

Hi Friends,

I just sold my 2000 BMW last week as it was giving me problems and was taking too much of my time and money.
Now I am out to buy a relatively new car with low miles.
My requirement is low maintenance, reliability, comfort.
Have shortlisted 3 cars now:

2003 Lexus ES300 (49K miles): Dealer asking 13.7 K
2007 Honda Accord EX (40K miles): Dealer asking 13.6 K
2006 Honda Accord EX (35K miles): Dealer asking 13 K

All have clean car faxes and single owners and clean cars.
BTW all these cars are automatic transmission since my wife's gonna drive also.

I know these prices can definitely be negotiated since these are big dealerships we are talking about. I am just strongly confused between the Lexus (which is tempting me) and the Hondas.

I know that the FZ6R forum is one place I can look upon for some great advice. Please let me know as winter is here and I need to close the deal ASAP.

The difference between the lexus and the honda is a lexus is the higher classed toyota. From experience, the lexus is a more luxury based car than the honda would be and it is very roomy inside. However a honda is super reliable and in the event you ever need a replacement part they would be much cheaper than the lexus. Not to mention those cars you listed are 3-4 years newer than the lexus. In my opinion I would go with either of the hondas. I did my drivers training way back when on a honda accord EX and the car was a good car. It is still no BMW though. Good luck with your buying and I'm sure you wont regret whichever choice you make.

DragonBlu

Picking from that list I would go with the 07 Accord. bm3 has listed all the right reasons above. Good luck!:)

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

findmadhav

are you looking for a fun car to drive or something more like a sopha? an ex300 is toyota carolla with a few body changes, same chassis, upgraded interior, suspension, engine and what not....frankly they are overrated and parts arent as cheap as toyota parts ( those arent exactly as cheap as honda in some cases aether lol) the accord on the other hand can look nice, and be nice, but still a lot of fun to drive.... but in the end it all depends on your driving style and what your looking for.... thats a pretty vague list of cars....it was like hey should i eat a sandwich or a sandwich with cheese?
Like I said, my 1st priority is visiting a mechanic only for oil change. So u say accord is better that way?

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member

Chucker

Either Accord, all the way. Which one's in better shape with the features you want?

findmadhav

Either Accord, all the way. Which one's in better shape with the features you want?
Both are EX models and are in good shape. I might save a few more dollars on the 06 one. I have decided to go for the accord.

Thanks a lot guys. Like always you are the best !!!

KeysRider3

Accord, Accord, Accord, Accord. Either one as the mileage/year are pretty much the same. Both will need a timing belt change at about the 60-70K mark. Have the water pump changed at the same time.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

findmadhav

Finally got my car

Hi All,

Thanks for the valuable advice, inputs. I was actually looking for a lot of accords and then I find this 2005 Toyota Camry SE. I know Camrys are a bit boring/bland, but this one looks awesome with alloy wheels, rear spoiler, sunroof and fog lights. I got a great deal on it too.. Finally was able to get a 2005 Camry SE with 49K miles for 11k OTD :) So am happy with it. Here goes the pic.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

I'd rather have that over an accord any day

Sent from Joshua's android dominating iPhone using Tapatalk

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

leprecaun jon

ESTABLISHED RESIDENT
Elite Member