Brand New FZ6R first impressions

xinu

Been riding everything since I was 14. Now in early sixties.
Last bike was a Honda VTX1800. Last fully faired bike was a 92 FZR600. More than 20 years ago. From what I can remember from that, this one is miles ahead in all aspects.

I want to shift forever. Starting to get better telling whether in 5th or 6th.

Feels good (light, nimble, stable, smooth, linear power delivery, compliant suspension…).
Adequate low rev torque for slow manoeuvring.
Light clutch pull and linear engagement.
Fits a short and wide old fart. Can flat foot on level surface and doesn’t feel top heavy when stopped tipping it from side to side or stopped in an off camber situation.
Not too much weight on the forearms and wrists. Need a cramp buster or a throttle lock to avoid throttle hand numbness.
Good upper body wind protection from the neck down. No back or arm stress at highway speed.
Nice and quiet exhaust. I would prefer a more throaty note to it.

Still in break-in mode so no full throttle high revs but doesn’t feel like there will be a thrilling high rev power surge.

A very non intimidating fun bike that I don’t think I will grow out of at this age and stage.

This is a great forum as well.

Greg

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

xinu

I must be shorter than you (5'3) I had to lower the bike and still wasn't fully comfortable with it because it did feel very top heavy to me. It was also my first bike and now I probably wouldn't have the same issues.

I think it still does feel extremely top heavy, because my GSXR doesn't feel that way at all.
Yes I guess I'm a bit taller that you. I used to be 5 8" now probably 5 7" because of lengthly gravity exposure :D

You must of had the GXer lowered a bit cause it's about an 1" higher in seat height. It could be narrower though. Maybe the 50 lbs weight difference makes it feel more manageable. I'm too old to ride for long on that one. Although it would fun to try!

xinu

Sounds right!

Welcome to the forum

and, don't baby her, let her rip up through the revs as usual, just don't sit at the high revs for extended periods of time (e.g. no hour long highway runs). She really does open up above 7K
I'll open her up:D

xinu

Opened it up!

Well for the first time during break-in I went WOT and revved her up to near the top. It does have a nice power rush. I'm not exactly sure where. I was looking up not down. Probably somewhere around 9k. Now that I know there's a fun spot to play with while rowing through the gears when conditions are right.

stache

Well for the first time during break-in I went WOT and revved her up to near the top. It does have a nice power rush. I'm not exactly sure where. I was looking up not down. Probably somewhere around 9k. Now that I know there's a fun spot to play with while rowing through the gears when conditions are right.
It's great fun from 6k to the red line.

It's more fun with a mostly empty gas tank.
I find it's just too top heavy when it's filled up.

JBAX

Wait, Wait...... HOLD UP!

I am only 200miles into "break in" period. I have been intentionally not revving above 6-8k during accelerations. And been moderating RPM's and gears, so as not to sit and any RPM for minutes at a time. Even yo-yo'ing up and down from 55-75mph and 5-7k rpm when on the highway. Mostly been keeping it under 6k rpm.

Are you telling me I can go FOT to redline, provided I do not sit there for extended periods?

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Qrider682

Wait, Wait...... HOLD UP!

I am only 200miles into "break in" period. I have been intentionally not revving above 6-8k during accelerations. And been moderating RPM's and gears, so as not to sit and any RPM for minutes at a time. Even yo-yo'ing up and down from 55-75mph and 5-7k rpm when on the highway. Mostly been keeping it under 6k rpm.

Are you telling me I can go FOT to redline, provided I do not sit there for extended periods?

I just got a 2013 FZ6R last weekend. I have 270miles on it currently. I haven't redline it yet. I have hit 100mph+ a couple of time @9000rpm in 6th. I don't believe in that BS no higher than 5800rpm for 600 miles. I try not to stay in same gear/same rpm for long. In the highway, I cruise in 4th, 5th or 6th so the rpm will go from 4k to 9k depending on my speed.

I never follow the break in procedure for my Cbr250R either and it's been running like a champ.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

xinu

No fear to put the coals on

I think there're lots of break-in myths out there. I all comes down to IMO common sense. You can ride it like you stole it but you need to give the little pony a rest. Otherwise it may get PTSD:D

Last edited:

xinu

Not fair to compare the SS bike and a budget-friendly sport-tourer/commuter.
So far my experience with this bike I would say that it can do anything I want and have fun with it. I could ride it to commute (don't need to) or tour or have fun spinning down the back roads. Bottom line it's a lot of fun.

xinu

Not bashing FZ6R at all. Just commented on the top heavyness comparison against GSXR :)[/'QUOTE]

I know you weren't. I would love to ride a GSXR. But I can't afford to have 2 bikes. Because I would probably need 2 for what you do with 1. I had to meet in the middle.

Last edited:

xinu

^^^
It's all kind a relative when comparing. I was seriously looking at a really good deal on a new '14 Suzuk GSX650F which was a grand cheaper that the FZ6R and had more features like ABS and a gear indicator and speced with a lower seat height than the 6R. When I sat on her it felt really top heavy even with no fuel in her and I couldn't get my feet flat enough to feel comfortable. The 70lb weight difference and the narrower profile of the 6R sealed the deal for me even though I ended up $1K lighter in the pocket.