Bobski's +1 impressions

bobski

Lots of posts already on this topic, but here is my impression after several hundred klms. I am not an aggressive rider. I perseive little or no loss of performance for my non aggressive riing style. Cruising rpm being reduced by about 500 is nice, but what I like most is the feel of the taller gearing in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears. They feel much more natural and 'usable' for around town riding. These gears always seemed too short, not any more. 100KPH=5300, 110KPH=6000. I like it very much. 17 tooth driven sprocket, 2 hour installation (only because unfamiliar with process, should have been 1 hour for someone familiar with it). Tip - remove the clutch actuator (lower end of clutch cable) and chain guard before removing sprocket from spline. Only 2 bolts to remove, makes sliding to old sprocket off and new one on completely simple.

Last edited:

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

CDN6R

When I had my 09 6R I did this mod too. I really liked the lower RPM's at highway speed,,and like Bobski I was not an aggressive rider so I noticed little difference in acceleration. Bonus??? Better gas milage.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

bobski

I wanna have fast acceleration, but top end speed doesnt matter to me. I like the idea of lower cruise rpm also to increase mpg.. Since using bike instead of truck to try and save gas money on commute 106-120 miles per day during spring/summer/fall when wx permits.

But acceleration is important to me because I hit too many bottlenecks at stop lights and people ALWAYS try to go in the other lane to speed up in front of you and cut you off, but then ultimately go like 5 mph under the limit and you have to try to pass them anyways... I love being able to get in front from the get go..
I can't notice much of a change to acceleration at all. If you were real sensitive to it I think you might 'perceive' a small change, but in practical riding experience I don't think it would make one bit of difference. There is still Plenty of acceleration and no feeling of the bike being sluggish or slower, just a lot more pleasant to ride (IMO) because of the taller gearing.

Last edited:

bobski

If you just cruise and don't bother too much about acceleration you should have tried 17/43. Still loose a bit on acceleration but since you spend only about 5% of the time in first gear... you gain on the other 95%. 17/44 was perfect in my opinion, just wish they made the 44T in steel. But 43T is good enough. My speedo healer needed 6% correction to be precise with the GPS. So it's like close to +2 front kind off...

100KPH (62MPH) is 5K RPM
120KPH (74MPH) is 6K RPM

I didn't feel that much of a lost in acceleration... but again I have few more ponies that might make the difference.
I'm going to go with just the +1 for now and when it's time for a new chain I'll probably try a 44 or 43 on the rear.

Roaddawg

I wanna have fast acceleration, but top end speed doesnt matter to me. I like the idea of lower cruise rpm also to increase mpg.. Since using bike instead of truck to try and save gas money on commute 106-120 miles per day during spring/summer/fall when wx permits.

But acceleration is important to me because I hit too many bottlenecks at stop lights and people ALWAYS try to go in the other lane to speed up in front of you and cut you off, but then ultimately go like 5 mph under the limit and you have to try to pass them anyways... I love being able to get in front from the get go..
So, instead of 0-60 in 3.7 it might be 0-60 in 3.785....idk, but its not very noticeable. If your commuting a lot, get this. If you want your speedo to read correct, get this. Better gas mileage, get this. If you want to stunt, don't get this. I've had mine on for a long time and I have no regrets about it. Use to do a lot of commuting, but not so much any more. Unless your frequently racing ZR1 Vettes and Bugatti Veyron's, your not gonna need to worry about the acceleration.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member