Best Places to Ride in The US

WenMark

Ok lets hear about your favorite places that you have ridden or would like to ride. The Suches & Blue Ridge area here in North Georgia is especially nice with lots of twisties and scenic views. Helen Georgia is a fun place to visit too. Of course the Dragon in North Carolina is fun. I hear the Austin Texas Hill country is nice too for motorcycles. Anywhere else? Come on & let us know you favorites. Pictures are a plus. :thumbup:

Attachments

FZ6R-HWD

I got one!!!

Hi Mark,
I have to put in my vote for South Florida. Here is why.

1. The roads are straight as an arrow. No need to worry about silly curves or other technical challanges.

2. The friendly drivers we have here will be more then happy to cut you off, run you off the road, stop short in front of you or perform any number of interesting maneuvers at the drop of a hat.

3. It's hot most of the time. Feel free to ride in flip flops, tank tops, no helmet, and of course, shorts.

Come one down!!!

pyrocpu

Though not on a motorcycle, but instead sport cars, I have to say I absolutely loved the Santa Monica Mountain range in the Greater Los Angeles area. It was fantastic in the late 1990s and early 2000s, before that dang Fast & the Furious movie came out, and also before mudslides took out some roads.

A good variety of roads--you could select a super-twisty, tight road (Decker Rd for those of you in SoCal), or faster roads with broad, sweeping turns (Encinal Cyn). The Rock Store sure was popular with motorcyclists. I even spotted Jay Leno there once!

I have not yet ventured out to the Dragon here in Tennessee; I'm too fearful of the Tenn. Hwy Patrol!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

flyingminno

Nice, yeah I rode down to Palomar a couple weeks back. I'm going to ride Glendora Ridge road tomorrow, so I'll try and get some pictures of the road and views.

JonKerr

Elite Member

WenMark

The Sport Bike Group I'm part of is planning a trip up there in a couple of weeks. I'm not going to be able to make it but I wish I could.

Here in San Diego we have:
Old Julian Highway
YouTube - Old Julian Hwy. West Bound

Palomar Mountain Rd. (AKA Palomar Raceway)

Sunrise Highway

Lyons Valley Rd

Japitul Valley Rd.

Banner Grade

And many more I don't feel like trying to find pictures. Put it this way, I could put a couple thousand miles on my bike if I tried to hit all of them in town at once. After 5 months of riding I'm still going on a new road I don't know almost every ride.
John..nice pics, also watched the video twice very cool..thanks. I could see myself riding any of those areas and having fun. Anyone else have any favorites?:)

flyingminno

Well, I went to Glendora Ridge road today. Lots of riders as usual, all different bikes. Though I wasn't able to stop and take pictures of the curves because I got caught up in riding them, but here is one image where you can see how the road twists around the mountain. I will take better ones after the rains pass.

Attachments

Pizz

How about a little detour to Canada?

We have riden the north west of the USA (Mount St. Helens, Red Wood park, Yellowstone park, Grand Tetons, Glacier park) and they are all great rides!:america:

In case someone wants to venture north of the border, I'll post up some shots from here:
Jasper park:

Lake Louise:

Interior of British Columbia (Highway 31A)

And no, it wasn't cold (mostly 70-90 degrees). We wear all our gear, all the time..... Remember, dress for the slide, not for the ride!

JonKerr

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

Pizz

Nice! I keep thinking a trip to Yosemite or Yellowstone would be awesome. Just have to get time from work and get others to join in. You're in prime mountain biking area up there too. I've always wanted to get a hold of a good down hill rig and hit up some of the DH trails out there. Also Whistler would be killer to do.
Thanks, we're spending 2 weeks on the bikes in British Columbia this year, so Whistler is a possibility. Great that you can ride this time of year vvv.

Roaddawg

Hi Mark,

1. The roads are straight as an arrow. No need to worry about silly curves or other technical challanges.

2. The friendly drivers we have here will be more then happy to cut you off, run you off the road, stop short in front of you or perform any number of interesting maneuvers at the drop of a hat.

3. It's hot most of the time. Feel free to ride in flip flops, tank tops, no helmet, and of course, shorts.

Come one down!!!
That's awesome...sounds like you found a mecca down there!! :D:D:D

BluePill

Squirrel spur road, Just off the Blue ridge parkway in Va.

Va. Route 56, Eastward from Vesuvius, then across the BR Parkway. You'll see your own tail-light on some of the turns!;)

Very pretty rides when the leaves are out (May thru October) through the Catskill and Adirondak Mountains of NY State. NY Route 28 snakes it's way around through both, and combined with numerous side roads can make a great 3-5 day ride. Tie into The Green Mountains of Vermont and the White Mountains of New Hampshire, and you have 8-10 days of really fine riding. I'd say it's the equal of running the entire Blue Ridge Parkway and Tail of the Dragon - plus it has more beautiful lakes.

And New York City has some spectacle if you don't mind trying to "out crazy" the local crazies on the roads. Every day is track day in NYC!

Last edited:

BluePill

Hi Mark,

Come one down!!!
Got that right. I just drove 2600 round trip miles from NY to FL towing my dirt bike to do some sand riding with the ADV Rider boys in Pensacola. Because of the crazy low temps, most were not riding. Out of boredom I rode on the street a few times - the only decent curves were ramps to major roads. Don't care that you can ride most of the year there, I'd rather have 8 months of Northeast twisties!

Hawaii isn't that nice of a place to ride! There is great scenery, but there is always traffic and not many curves! Plus it is an island, not much to it!

JonKerr

Elite Member