Anybody have a Bell Vortex helmet?

iSpoolin

I've been debating HARD on buying this helmet:
Bell Vortex Flying Tiger Helmet from SportbikeTrackGear.com

(Only thing I don't like is the random ass tiger, so i'll probably cover that with a Triumph Decal or something LOL)

Mainly I just want something new, and a little more flashy to display with the bike when it comes to shows and everything.

So does anybody have a Vortex that they have done extensive riding in?

How loud is it?

Ventilation?

I do. I think CC used to have one and Marthy either had one or still has one.

The ventilation is great, but to me it is still pretty loud. I think at the end of the day you either get noise + ventilation or quiet + no ventilation.

I bought it specifically to use with the transitions photochromatic shield (just don't clean it with alcohol!). Compared to my old HJC it seems really snug because the cheek pads are pretty stiff, but after breaking it in its very comfy. I've been meaning to rig some padded headphones into it to reduce the noise without popping in earplugs, but overall I like it better than my last helmet.

Mostly agree with Ant... Solid helmet for the price. I got mine for $120 ish at a local shop which made it easier to afford the Transitions shield. I must say it's a quality helmet. Might be a bit loud, but it's my first helmet, so I haven't had any experience with Arai, Shoei etc. It's not annoyingly lound IMO.

It has a nice cavity for adding speakers if you want to add a Bluetooth system or if you just need space for headphones in your ears. I think this is why it is a bit noisy.

I am not going away from Bell until the other good brands get the Transitions technology. Totally makes this helmet perfect for me.

I also have the Vortex helmet. I would mostly agree with the above posts. The helmet has good ventilation, but like AngryAnt said, the helmet does fit very snug, compared to the HJC helmets (which I had before). I suppose you could get a different size cheek pad that Bell offers, if the shell size worked, but the cheek pads were too snug.

Personally, I don't think the helmet is that loud, but like I said above, I came from a cheaper HJC helmet, so I probably don't have enough expertise to give a good opinion on that.

I'm with you on the tiger...that would have to go.

I wear the Bell Vortex Greaser. The cheek pads fit very snug when new but now are a nice fit. The helmet vents well but I think its on the noisy side. At speed I have trouble hearing my uclear. I am planning on buying the photocromatic shield before next riding season. All in all, I'm satisfied with the helmet and like the look.

Can one of the Vortex users comment on buffetting at freeway speeds. I have seen some comments that say buffetting experienced with other helmets goes away when riding with the Vortex. One example cited bad helmet buffetting when riding with a HJC IS-16 at speed and it apparently was eliminated when switched to the Vortex.

Can one of the Vortex users comment on buffetting at freeway speeds. I have seen some comments that say buffetting experienced with other helmets goes away when riding with the Vortex. One example cited bad helmet buffetting when riding with a HJC IS-16 at speed and it apparently was eliminated when switched to the Vortex.

Didn't have too much trouble with mine. However, it was my first helmet, so I don't have much to compare to besides my new Bell Star. The Star is obviously more aero, so there is less buffeting, but I didn't think the Vortex was bad unless you got some really bad air from a semi. It seemed to stay very planted.

Thanks guys, good tips on dealing with noise issues. Especially interesting about the rear air vents, I thought it would have been the front. How does the Vortex deal with AIR TURBULANCE that creates 'head wobble'. I've seen some reports that say it's noticably more stable (less head wobble) and deals with windshield created air turbulance much better than some other helmets???

I have one, it's actually CC's old one. The helmet is the noisiest helmet that I have. (Scorpion EXO 1000, O'neil Tirade and Bell Vortex RSD) I still use it as my primary helmet due to the transition visor, which makes up for the noise.

As for head wobble, I only get it at speeds above 75 mph. And its not that bad, nothing that will put a strain on your neck or anything. The stock windshield air pocket hits me right above the visor when I'm semi-hunched at highway speeds. I'm 6'1".

I haven't modified the helmet at all. Maybe I'll try to cover up the back vents and see how that goes. I just usually have all air access I can get so I don't roast in the Florida sun.

i got one in the same size as my old helmet that fit great, but the bell fits tight and gives me one hell of a head ache. nice helmet with not much wind noise and the many vents, just small..

Back