Angels are among us

Fizzi6ergal

So, my husband and I went out for a nice little jaunt yesterday afternoon. I call it now, the "almost-widow-maker" road. It's the Newberry Crater road in Central Oregon, I'm sure JSP and Tatty know which road I'm talking about. It's the road that leads up to East Lake as well as Paulina Lake. It's an extremely curvy/fun road until somebody takes a corner too fast and high-sides their bike. My husband and I road all the way up the mountain, about 5 miles(maybe more) of beautiful curvy-ness. We made it to the top and turned around to come back down. For some reason, the corners seemed a little more intimidating(to me) on the way down. I'm mobbing down this road and talking to my husband who is right behind me maybe a corner behind me. I enter this corner that was EXTREMELY deceiving and was shouting into the Scala that it's a sharp corner and to slow down. It even puckered my butt-hole a tiny bit. But I just threw my weight over to the right more and pressed firmly on the handlebars to make her lean more. I came out of the corner just fine, but my husband did not. He ended up high-siding his Suzuki GS1100 and went down hard. I noticed that there was a cliff on the other side of the road and my first thought was OMG my husband is sliding down the cliff with his bike.
I immediately stopped and waved the oncoming traffic to slow down. I whipped my bike around and flew up to where he was on the corner, luckily he was laying in the middle of the road and not down the cliff. He jumped off his bike as soon as he felt the bike start to get squigly, but his riding pant leg caught his footpeg and ended up dragging him with his bike. All 3 cars stopped and helped him pick his bike up off of him and pushed it to the side of the road.
One nice older couple stopped and had a friggin parrot on the lady's shoulder. They ended up being from another city about 3 hours away and was nice enough to follow me to our house to drop my injured husband off. After we got him bandaged up, we borrowed my dads trailer and went back up the road to pick up the remains of his bike. His bike probably weighs around 800lbs and the whole ride up the mountain, I kept asking him if just the 2 of us were going to be able to maneuver his bike. Him, being all hobbly, can barely put weight on his right foot and body starting to ache from the drop in the adrenaline rush. He kept reassuring me that we would be able to do it.
So we get up there and have to turn the bike around in the deep gravel/dirt crap that is on the side of the road. I can't get grip with my feet and I'm trying to be the nice wife and stabilize the 800lb motorcycle so he doesn't have to do much work on his injured leg.
Then out of nowhere, a car from Washington came around the corner and stopped and told us that they have some hefty men in the car to help push the beast up on the trailer. I think they saw the desperation in my eyes of "OMG please help us". They helped us and I think I said thank you about a dozen times within a 1 minute period. Husband went into the doctor today and ended up tearing his ligaments and tendons on the left side of his foot. He'll be in a walking boot for about 6 weeks. There goes hunting anyway. He'll just have to road hunt while I walk hunt. We were both wearing all of our gear and thank god that he was at least, cause he had a little road rash on his knees and right hip. Couldn't imagine what woudl have happened if he didn't have his riding gear on.

Lesson learned from this accident????? Never treat a cruiser as a crotch-rocket. They are NOT the same. But long story short, there are angels around us. They may come in different shapes and forms. Not sure of peoples religious beliefs here, but I will say that God was watching over him and I yesterday. Am I scared to go on the "almost widow maker" road? Absolutely not! Just need to pay little more attention and ride at a comfortable speed especially if you DON'T know the road.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Fizzi6ergal

I really want to. But he's 6'5 and doesn't feel comfortable enough on my 6r to get one. We've been looking at the Gixxers for him. He has been talking about getting a dual sport recently though.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

DragonBlu

Sorry to hear of the accident. All my best to you and the hubby. That was one of the reasons I got rid of my older heavy bike. It didn't corner well. I found myself pushing it too hard on mountain corners. I am a lot more comfortable on the 6R.

ajones70

Wow! He is very lucky indeed! Glad he's ok....you can replace a bike .....
My hubby is 6.5" and has the Fazer 8.....wishing him a speedy and successful recovery

Detrich

Glad to hear he's going to be ok. Sucks when accidents happen, but not being seriously hurt is the most important. And, yes- there are lotsa kind ppl around, always ready and willing to help. It's very comforting... Speedy recovery and thanks for sharing.

FastFreddy

I believe in stuff like that, if it wasn't for the Angels, his pants wouldn't have got
caught on the footpeg and his baby would have gone over the cliff. (the obvious guy joke out of the way).

Really though, I'm glad he's alright, the GS1100 is nothing compared to a person.

I had the urge to suddenly pray and send help and good vibes for Usher a couple of weeks ago, and then it turned out his boy nearly drowned ... Don't make me explain it because I can't.

FastFreddy

Yes, definitely lucky the bike didn't pull him over the cliff.

I'm going to throw out my rain pants after hearing your story, they have the velcro ankle strap (which creates a fold that can get caught on a footpeg) rather than the zip style.

Good tendons are worth more than any motorbike.

abyss1406

good to know hes ok and you too

Fizzi6ergal

Thank you all for sending your get well wishes over to us. Today is definetly a BETTER day than yesterday. His foot still reminds me of a waxed or shaven hobbit foot, but he's doing better. The day after is ALWAYS the worst. But we got over that hump.

There wasn't really that much damage for what had happened. The GS is a tank! The only real damage was the clutch perch breaking off of the LH switch, and the massive dent in the gas tank. And the fact that the handlebars were bent the wrong way too.

Attachments

Fizzi6ergal

The first pic is in the actual middle of the corner. He was about 1/2 through the corner when he lost it. Then you can see the drop off on the other side of the corner there.

Detrich

Looks like it could be a tricky turn on a heavy cruiser if going a bit fast. Again, hope the bike's not too pricey to fix and that he makes a speedy recovery.

Speaking of angels, i have a story too. Bback when I first started riding, the very first time I got stuck in complete gridlock traffic on the freeway it was one of those near 100+ degree sweltering summer days. Stupid newbie me (a) shouldn't have been riding to begin with on a day that hot, and (b) I should've just pulled off somewhere to re-hydrate and rest long b4 I got to the point of heat exhaustion.

Anyhow. Back then I wasn't good at lane splitting and so I moved into the rt lane to try to exit. Came to a stop with traffic- barely moving. And, after I stopped, i guess the heat and exhaustion won. I was completely stopped but just lost consciousness for a second. One minute I was foot down & waiting, the next i opened my eyes and had tipped over and don't even remember it happening. I guess I fainted from the heat.

Before I even realized what happened, another biker on a Suzuki SV had already pulled up directly behind me and stopped. The rider asked if I was ok and without me asking helped lift me up and then helped me lift up my bike. He said he just moved to Cali from Arizona and jokingly said he didn't know we had hot weather like this too. He stayed with me a few minutes to help me get some air back into my head and then stayed behind me to get going again. And, then he zipped off really fasting I traffic before I could even get his name... My frame slider had caught most of the tip. (Lucky me.). And, i just had to replace a foot peg that caught the back side of the tip.

Honestly, I dunno what I would've done had that guy not been there. I could've easily been run over or something passed out. LOL. But, I like to believe there are angels out there for sure. And, I've since learned how to better manage myself when it gets too hot like that. It was almost 3+ years ago and will never forget this experience and hope that someday I can repay the favor by helping out another rider out on the road the same way.

linkgt

Great to hear everyone made it out alive. I applaud your bravery to go on that road again. I lost a friend a few years ago on a road nearby me. After he passed away, I never took that road again with my motorcycle. It's almost been two years and I've yet to take that road alone since then. It's not curvy or anything, its actually quite bland, but it serves as a decent shortcut. Unfortunately, I was riding with my brother last thanksgiving and he took that road to get home quicker. I didn't realize we were on that road till a minute later. Lo and behold, he gets in an accident. He was fine, the bike was pretty banged up. He finally fixed it a few months ago. But yea, that road is just bad luck in my eyes.

Ride safe.

Last edited: