About the rear fender functionality (opinions)

AL72

I'm close to install the Motodynamics integrated tail light, but I'd like to conserve my rear fender for the matter of road mud and dirt.
The question is: how effective is the rear fender? it's worth keeping it?

Thank you very much for your responses, I really appreciate it!

Last edited:

latony007

I'm close to install the Motodynamics integrated tail light, but I'd like to conserve my rear fender for the matter of road mud and dirt.
The question is: how effective is the rear fender? it's worth keeping it?

Thank you very much for your responses, I really appreciate!
Well being in So cal and that i dont commute on my bike it has never seen water so i took off the fender, however i do recall that one of the guys on here was from HI and after he took his off he said his back was getting pretty wet when it rained from splatter.

Bert-Aus

Second that! Without the fender I get covered in crap (my back) whenever there is rain or crap on the road.

Secondly when/ if you put saddle bags on it is difficult to see the plate & indicators (disregard indicators comment since you have the integrated tail light)

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Chucker

+1

I like the look of my fender eliminator, but hate the crap that sprays up the back. Good thing I don't ride in the rain if I can avoid it.

bleedinblue

Elite Member

latony007

If the roads are wet then it doesn't matter much if your back gets wet because your chest will already be soaked from the mist other vehicles tires kick up, at least on busier streets.I mainly kept mine because with my saddlebags on I couldn't see the rear motodynamic turn signals from a 45* angle very well.Now that I've finally got a top case and I can add turn signals inside its reflectors I'm still keeping my fender because I hid the rear portion of my led underglow underneath there.All I've gotta say is once I get my led order off of amazon I'll have 2 brakelights and 3 sets of indicators on the rear of my bike, if I'm ever rear ended it wasn't my fault, my nightime visibility will be comparable to new cars.
lol, i have the same fear of not getting seen from behind, here is my light set up with the left blinker on.

However sounds like if your going to see any rain at all, or even wet streets you should keep the fender on.

Attachments

bleedinblue

Elite Member

latony007

I need to swap my oem signals on my fender for a set of the led signals like you have, they look alot better
They are red and i love them but think they came in about every color. Since the shock, rim tape and decals were red i figured i might as well embrace it so added several red parts. Cheap too was like $15 or $20 i want to say for those rear signals.

bleedinblue

Elite Member

latony007

Yea I don't blame you for adding the red.I've actually ordereda ton of led's, I might end up building a lincoln log house or something lol.I found some for $1.59 apiece over seas so I ordered a half dozen to check out (4 red and 2 yellow.) Then I found 4 packs of the thin tape style led's on amazon so I ordered a red and amber.My top case will blink somehow before the month is over lol.
too funny, i have several extra strips lying around the garage as well. The extra signal strips in back may be a bit much but you really cant see them when there not on and there is no missing them at night :)