12 r1

lol. yah. I got a couple more hundred to go too.

one other thing I noticed is that if I leave the high beams on persistently- even on a very dry, hot day- then the lenses fog up- but they clear up after an hour or so. but if I just use the highs only for short spurts and then go back to low beams, then the lenses always stay clear. I wonder if HIDs just do this b'cuz they run so hot maybe?

lol. yah. I got a couple more hundred to go too.

one other thing I noticed is that if I leave the high beams on persistently- even on a very dry, hot day- then the lenses fog up- but they clear up after an hour or so. but if I just use the highs only for short spurts and then go back to low beams, then the lenses always stay clear. I wonder if HIDs just do this b'cuz they run so hot maybe?

Honestly I didn't even turn the highs on . But I will look into it. I did notice that my take off was stuttering and then I turned the tc from half to just 1 bar and my bike felt smoother on the takeoff. I should say faster lol.

Oh that's good to know about the TSC. The dealer suggested I leave it on defaults. And, yah- I've noticed the difficulties in slow speed maneuvering. The engine really doesn't like low RPM's at all. It feels like it wants to conk out. To compensate, I've really had to clutch-feather & drag the rear brake while revving.

Oh that's good to know about the TSC. The dealer suggested I leave it on defaults. And, yah- I've noticed the difficulties in slow speed maneuvering. The engine really doesn't like low RPM's at all. It feels like it wants to conk out. To compensate, I've really had to clutch-feather & drag the rear brake while revving.

Yes exactly, I'm anxious to break her in so that ican really abuse the throttle to get the feel of the power. Do you plan on ecu flash. I seen a lot of posts about it on the other forum, but I can not actually figure out what it does. Takes off government regulations on the usa r1? Tgis shit is superfast as is

I'm very risk averse, and I'll be keeping it stock. :)

But, based on the forum comments, flashing is to remap the fuel-air ratio and help increase the power. Ppl are saying the factory mapping is too conservative & too restrictive. And, my guess is that this is probably true- given Yamaha's reliability records.

A more conservative (factory) tuning prolly means the engine runs slightly richer (uses more fuel) and makes less power. This increases engine reliability though, which is prolly why Yamahas seem to be the most reliable bikes.

There are many flashes out there, and it's hard to know which ones are good and would suit ur riding profile. U'll jave to do more research. The R1's pretty much remained the same for the past 5 or so years tho, and we haven't really heard of a lotta engines blowing up or failing- which usually happens when a lotta owners start tinkering and making changes too aggressively. So, that's a good sign I suppose.

I think ill be very happy staying with the stock tuning. If someday i can get good enough to get a knee down then great. If I can learn to pop a wheelie then even better. But I'm kinda weary of messing with the electronics- but only because I don't like dealing with all the headaches of figuring out what changed what and why this and that. And u have to have a high tolerance and patience for that if ur going to tinker I think.

But I'm kinda weary of messing with the electronics- but only because I don't like dealing with all the headaches of figuring out what changed what and why this and that. And u have to have a high tolerance and patience for that if ur going to tinker I think.

Good thinking. A lot of half-baked "tuners" out there. If I ever did a re-map, it would be from an established leader in the field with many good reviews.

I'm very risk averse, and I'll be keeping it stock. :)

But, based on the forum comments, flashing is to remap the fuel-air ratio and help increase the power. Ppl are saying the factory mapping is too conservative & too restrictive. And, my guess is that this is probably true- given Yamaha's reliability records.

A more conservative (factory) tuning prolly means the engine runs slightly richer (uses more fuel) and makes less power. This increases engine reliability though, which is prolly why Yamahas seem to be the most reliable bikes.

There are many flashes out there, and it's hard to know which ones are good and would suit ur riding profile. U'll jave to do more research. The R1's pretty much remained the same for the past 5 or so years tho, and we haven't really heard of a lotta engines blowing up or failing- which usually happens when a lotta owners start tinkering and making changes too aggressively. So, that's a good sign I suppose.

I think ill be very happy staying with the stock tuning. If someday i can get good enough to get a knee down then great. If I can learn to pop a wheelie then even better. But I'm kinda weary of messing with the electronics- but only because I don't like dealing with all the headaches of figuring out what changed what and why this and that. And u have to have a high tolerance and patience for that if ur going to tinker I think.

Yeah I agree. I got plenty of power and well I do wamt to keep that reliability factor.well I'm off to put some miles on her.

Me too. 260 miles now and I'm learning and getting used to this bike more. One observation I made last night is once u get her moving around 25 mph or faster, when u roll the bike left & right- like to clean the tires- it feels really light and moves effortlessly.

The reason this was really surprising is b'cuz the stock Dunlop Q tires are a rounder profile than my Q2's on my R6. Yet it seemingly takes more effort to body roll the R6 to clean the tires, b'cuz it's so light.

So Yamaha actually designed the added weight on the R1 to work for the rider. It's pretty amazing- esp given all the weight complaints we hear. I can already visualize in my mind that when leaning while dropping into a turn at high speeds will be much smoother and easier than I originally thought. Granted it still won't be as flickable as the R6, but if u ride really consistently and adjust to its dynamics I can see the R1 being a ton of fun in the canyons. Can't wait. lol

Me too. 260 miles now and I'm learning and getting used to this bike more. One observation I made last night is once u get her moving around 25 mph or faster, when u roll the bike left & right- like to clean the tires- it feels really light and moves effortlessly.

The reason this was really surprising is b'cuz the stock Dunlop Q tires are a rounder profile than my Q2's on my R6. Yet it seemingly takes more effort to body roll the R6 to clean the tires, b'cuz it's so light.

So Yamaha actually designed the added weight on the R1 to work for the rider. It's pretty amazing- esp given all the weight complaints we hear. I can already visualize in my mind that when leaning while dropping into a turn at high speeds will be much smoother and easier than I originally thought. Granted it still won't be as flickable as the R6, but if u ride really consistently and adjust to its dynamics I can see the R1 being a ton of fun in the canyons. Can't wait. lol

Yeah I'm at 300 miles right now. Rode in the slight rain and wet roads. Bike is smooth no issues. Still having issues with the takeoff. She just wants to go. Dipping into turns is almost effortless. I need to find a fender eliminator kit and exhaust as well as the turn signals. Any ideas.

Try dragging the rear brake a bit on take offs- ie step down on the rear brake to hold the bike in place, rev up, feather the clutch to the friction zone release point, and then slowly release the pressure on rear brake to get a more stable launch.

This technique has helped me a lot & prevented me from rocket launching myself onto the opposite side street curb or right into traffic. lol. :)

Just updating some mods which I have done on the r1. Exhaust coming in tomorrow

Gka fender eliminator 25$ its cheap and does what its supposed to
Moto dynamics flushmounts 45$ plug and play with. With running lights.
Custom led integrated tailight. 110$ amazing

And coming tomorrow yoshimira trc-d dual slipon exhaust carbon fiber 864$.

Attachments

• 20130528_191450.jpg
    20130528_191450.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 20130528_191542.jpg
    20130528_191542.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 20130526_174644_2.jpg
    20130526_174644_2.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20130528_191430.jpg
    20130528_191430.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 35
Oh and my anti theft system ;)

Attachments

• 20130526_184149.jpg
    20130526_184149.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 39
Looks good. Get a tank pad to help prevent tank chips. And, remove the tank warning sticker already... :)

Haha yeah its been raining like crazy here so I will be buying the tank protector before I ride again. I'm at 400 miles on her.those slipons are expencive

Right on :) I'm around 320 so am slowly catching up... Can't wait to get to 600 to get the first service done and then hit the canyons with it. The power on the R1 is so addictive.

Yeah man, I'm excied to actually not have to focus on my rpms while riding. I have been holding everyone back due to the breaking in of the engine.I am looking at some no cut frame sliders and tank protector. I think that should be it for a while at least.how are you liking the stock tires?

I've always wondered if ppl with FE's get more dirt or mud on their under tails? I get a fair share with the stock fender already, so I can't imagine how much worse it is without that.

The stock fender is ugly thou. LOL.

I have the Shogun No-Cut crash kit, which the dealer installed for me. They actually advised me against the GYTR kit- saying they don't stick out far enough to guard the plastics.

Tire-wise, I'm surprised at how responsive the stock Dunlop Qualifiers are. Originally I was thinking of just putting Q2's on and selling the stocks cheap. But, as I mentioned earlier, Yamaha engineers really did their homework with weight distribution on this thing.

A simple roll and the bike drops into a turn effortlessly- almost even less effort than the Q2's on my R6. I can't imagine how much better it will be with Q2's or Q3's.

I used to hear R1 riders say that Q2's are sorta unnecessary on this bike and they would just get Q's or BT023's. I think I understand why now. LOL

How do u like the stock Qualifiers?

Every single ss I sat on was uncomfortable when comparing to the 6r. But some apex adjustable clip ons and you can gain some needed comfort especially on the wrist. Its one of the first mods I plan on doing besides the hideous exhaust and plate fender. That is why I only take pictures from the front lol. The tc is a feature I had to have hence buying this model. But honestly I don't even know when it would come into play but I figure Seattle is rainy so it better help. You can see plenty of reviews out there sort of bashing the r1 compared to the other 1000's but honestly this thing is a beast and there is a reason why yammi shits on their competition in pro track racing. Bike is manageable but I only rode it twice and breaking in the engine so can't go pasr 6500 rpm and well that's fine by me cuz I still got on t 130 mph and that's enough for now.

My boy has the 11 R1 and that thing is a beast, I ride it from time to time.

Heat will be your enemy for long rides. That bike gets hotter than all hell.

I would suggest swapping out for a yoshi exhaust with a silencer kit (you don't want to screw with that exhaust without silencers, you'll have hearing problems). The kit should come with some aluminum plates that will cover the exhaust just behind your thighs and they are important as it will help to reduce the heat you will get on the back of your legs.

Note that it also has a lot of heat that will come off the radiator as the bike is tweaked like a SOB and creates a lot of heat! The fan will come on a lot if you are getting stuck in traffic. It's a great bike at speed but in heavy traffic it can be a curse.

Still, it's a bike everyone that has the nuts to should ride. It's exhilarating on every level.

Back