09' Fz6r issues

Chrismath88

Hi all,

I recently acquired an 09 fz6r for cheap with some issues. It won't cold start, and the radiator fan runs constantly. Also it has a check engine light on and im not sure how to figure out what it is for. I am also in the process of fixing the title so I can possibly ride it to a shop.

My most major problem is that it won't start on its own, if I spray carb cleaner into the intake it will start up and eventually will idle and run. I thought possibly bad gas so I drained the tank and added new gas will injector cleaner. It began to run worse after starting it each day. I have ordered a 2012 fz6r injection system off Ebay to swap the injectors, could this also be a fuel pump issue?

Sorry if this post is fragmented, not sure what direction to begin, don't want to just blindly start replacing too many parts before I know what's wrong.

Chrismath88

Hi all,

I recently acquired an 09 fz6r for cheap with some issues. It won't cold start, and the radiator fan runs constantly. Also it has a check engine light on and im not sure how to figure out what it is for. I am also in the process of fixing the title so I can possibly ride it to a shop.

My most major problem is that it won't start on its own, if I spray carb cleaner into the intake it will start up and eventually will idle and run. I thought possibly bad gas so I drained the tank and added new gas will injector cleaner. It began to run worse after starting it each day. I have ordered a 2012 fz6r injection system off Ebay to swap the injectors, could this also be a fuel pump issue?

Sorry if this post is fragmented, not sure what direction to begin, don't want to just blindly start replacing too many parts before I know what's wrong.
Sorry I should have mentioned, bike is totally stock from what I can tell, minus stupid cheap flush blinkers that im replacing...

vcdstroyr

If you already have a code reader you can get one of these https://www.amazon.com/moto-solutions-Diagnostic-Adaptor-Yamaha-Motorcycle/dp/B07W1BKQ9F/ref=pd_sbs_263_t_0/145-6614170-9995430?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07W1BKQ9F&pd_rd_r=91df05b9-9e10-42ac-84ef-29821e5bf367&pd_rd_w=bLOzk&pd_rd_wg=6edDd&pf_rd_p=5cfcfe89-300f-47d2-b1ad-a4e27203a02a&pf_rd_r=DD0YX5Z7H85EFJAPSDVM&psc=1&refRID=DD0YX5Z7H85EFJAPSDVM

I would also check the spark plugs. Maybe pour some Seafoam into the cylinder and let it sit a while to clean it out.
The radiator fan being constantly on could be that the sensor on the fan might be bad.

If you check out bikebandit.com and enter the bike info you can look at diagrams for parts and that can be useful in troubleshooting.

Good luck.

Chrismath88

If you already have a code reader you can get one of these https://www.amazon.com/moto-solutions-Diagnostic-Adaptor-Yamaha-Motorcycle/dp/B07W1BKQ9F/ref=pd_sbs_263_t_0/145-6614170-9995430?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07W1BKQ9F&pd_rd_r=91df05b9-9e10-42ac-84ef-29821e5bf367&pd_rd_w=bLOzk&pd_rd_wg=6edDd&pf_rd_p=5cfcfe89-300f-47d2-b1ad-a4e27203a02a&pf_rd_r=DD0YX5Z7H85EFJAPSDVM&psc=1&refRID=DD0YX5Z7H85EFJAPSDVM

I would also check the spark plugs. Maybe pour some Seafoam into the cylinder and let it sit a while to clean it out.
The radiator fan being constantly on could be that the sensor on the fan might be bad.

If you check out bikebandit.com and enter the bike info you can look at diagrams for parts and that can be useful in troubleshooting.

Good luck.

Thanks for your response, I did check the plugs they were black so I swapped them but it still doesn't want to start. I was thinking could this be the pump or would it not run at all if it wasn't getting enough pressure?

Il checkout the bike bandit site that's a good idea!

Thanks,
Chris M

milepig

Hi all,

How's the air filter?

Chrismath88

How's the air filter?
Filters like new,

UPDATE, I was following the service manual procedure for removing the injection system and noted a little rodent has been busy on the wiring, the coolant temp sensor wires were completely through a few others exposed, I'm confident when I fix these and install the newer injection unit I should be good to go!! The coolant sensor harness explains the check engine light and the computer being in protection mode explains the lackluster starting and perfomance plus the fan always being on.

BluePill

Before you start fooling with the injectors, be sure to check all the fuses. The rodent activity may have created a short circuit in the power supply to the injectors and blown a fuse.

Last edited:

Chrismath88

Before you start fooling with the injectors, be sure to check all the fuses. The rodent activity may have created a short circuit in the power supply to the injectors and blown a fuse.

Thanks for the advice! I did end up solving it, the new injection module got everything running great but I still had a check engine light which eventually I figured out was a plugged intake pressure sensor. Running great now!

Attachments