Wireless Helmet Comm Systems

husker525

So I am new to this whole street riding thing, and have some newbie questions pertaining to wireless helmet comm systems. I am looking for feedback on some of the different systems, as searching the internet left me flooded with information and more questions.

1. Is there a system available that is wireless or without electrical tethers to the bike, so that I can talk from helmet to helmet, (like my rear seat passenger), listen to my music, the passenger can listen to their own music (because I can't do country when I am pretending to be Valentino Rossi)?

2. I do not need or want cell phone access, as this is the whole reason I ride, to get away from all the cell phone calls.

3. Is there a system that is available that I can mute the rear passenger, so that when she starts talking about romantic things, I can just shut her off?

4. Do these systems require hard wiring 12V power into the bike? I would like to avoid this if at all possible.

5. I have 2 Arai full face helmets, do the boom mics work well in these helmets, or get in the way of the built in breath shields?

Any input or suggestions with equipment that works well is greatly appreciated. I think a little money spent on a system such as I described would eliminate the cold hands on my bare skin under my riding jacket when she wants to get my attention, while I am dragging a knee through a corner in the Colorado mountains.

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

Tinkerbellskpr

My boyfriend and I just got the Chatterbox XBI2 systems. We picked them because you can use them while on the same bike or riding separate. There are no wires that have to link the two devices together in order to communicate. They attach directly to the helmet and don't have any cables that link into the battery power of the bike. We really like them because you just start talking and it automatically picks it up without having to push any button first, however there is no mute button-at least not one other than the power button :)

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

MikeN02

3. Is there a system that is available that I can mute the rear passenger, so that when she starts talking about romantic things, I can just shut her off?
Lol! So win! :D

The only romance is between the man and his bike. If you want to have a fight about relationship/do naughty things, that's cager talk!

neshi

You can try looking at scala rider products units they should be able to do all that you ask just find the correct pair

Tinkerbellskpr

Can you run an iPod with them? I was looking at those and thought I remembered that being a deal breaker.

Edit: I just checked their site. That's not the one I was looking at. I couldn't use this one because I need to communicate with many other bikes over long distances for group rides.
Yeah, ours can only communicate with up to 3 riders over a distance of 500 meters.

husker525

I tried to contact Cycle Sector both by phone and email over the last week, no response so I moved on. Looked into Midland BT1's, but Midland only sells to dealers, and no dealers around here to go eyes on with the actual product.

Looked into the Chatterbox, talked to a few local riders who had them, and found that some of them had a few more problems than I cared to deal with.

Ordered the Scala brand, price was good with my sponsored rider discount and the model I got is supposed to do everything I want it to. Time will tell. Thanks to all that helped and had input.

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

Heineken

Elite Member

Bikegirl88

I use the Scala Rider Q2 multiset. My husband and I have no problem using the intercom for about 1/2 - 3/4 of a mile apart. Also links with my blue tooth phone, GPS, has a built in FM Radio and can connect my Ipod to it.

I rate it 8 out of 10. I wish the mic mounted differently is all. Good product - recommend.

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Spunky99