windy days

bmw675

what does everyone do on windy days. for the last week it has been in excess of 20mph. to me it feels like i have no control over the back of the bike. any advice or just park it on those days.

flyingminno

Well it really depends on your skill and how comfortable and confident you are with the bike. Personally I just ride mid-lane and try my best to keep it going straight without putting too much effort on keeping it completely upright; the bike tends to lean into the wind due to centripetal force.

arkkornkid

Just have to use caution.... I drive into Memphis, TN from Arkansas everyday, which means crossing a bridge. Even on easy 10 mph wind days, the crosswind on that bridge is nasty. Tucking in can help some.

Situations like that I keep my speed down and stay in the slower lanes of traffic until I get past it. My last bike was a YZF600R and the wind didn't affect it much at all.

JonKerr

Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

bmw675

thats what i have tried so far. tucking deffinently helps. yes the gusts are what get you. coming up on tree lines, meeting large trailers, etc... has been making me feel a bit uneasy.

travstoll

= to me it feels like i have no control over the back of the bike. any advice or just park it on those days.
suspension adjustments...

adjust that rear shock to your weight. Throw some progressive springs in the front....and tuck in..

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
thats what i have tried so far. tucking deffinently helps. yes the gusts are what get you. coming up on tree lines, meeting large trailers, etc... has been making me feel a bit uneasy.
What these guys said! Just tuck yourself down. The bike will make the necessary corrections for the wind. Just keep your wits and don't try to muscle the bike up, that's when you get into trouble, especially during gusts. Just ride it out and you'll be fine. I have ridden in 40+ gusts and I just tucked in tight and let the bike do what it needed to. I didn't try to fight it and all was fine.

Superfly

suspension adjustments...

adjust that rear shock to your weight. Throw some progressive springs in the front....and tuck in..
I agree with that...soften the rear up especially if youre a light rider. I'm about 175lbs with my gear on and I find #2 rear a good balance front to back. My buddy who is about 185 and his 115 GF rode all day doubled up with the same #2 setting and didnt have any probs at all. Try the softer setting. Youre going to find the bike sits a little lower and will feel more planted in the rear especially on rougher roads.

MikeN02

Have been caught in 40mph gusts...
It's the gusts you have to worry about, constant wind isn't the issue, you can lean into the wind and the bike has no issues, it's being ready for the shifts in wind that make it rough. I avoid riding near cages as much as possible if it's really gusty, never know when the wind is going to try and push you into the next lane.
+1
Rode in 20 Mph winds with 24 Mph gusts on the freeway doing about 65. Things are killer for me but I still struggle on with my girl (bike).
Have been close to being blown on the next lane, really close on the line, all I can say is do what these guys all mentioned.

M76

The day I bought mine there were serious wind gusts as I was riding home on the freeway, likely up to about 25-30mph. Scary. I did as others suggested, I tucked down to reduce my cross-sectional area. I also tightened by grip on the handle bars and shifted my lane position closer to centre to give me more "wiggle room" during the gusts. I was fine though, but anything more than that and I'd consider either parking the bike!

Heineken

Elite Member

bmw675

I agree with that...soften the rear up especially if youre a light rider. I'm about 175lbs with my gear on and I find #2 rear a good balance front to back. My buddy who is about 185 and his 115 GF rode all day doubled up with the same #2 setting and didnt have any probs at all. Try the softer setting. Youre going to find the bike sits a little lower and will feel more planted in the rear especially on rougher roads.
thats interesting. im about 165 and it came set at 3. i moved it up to 4 b/c i thought it settled quicker on rougher roads. (going over railroad crossings ect.)

ill soften it back up and see how it reacts.