Windscreen Height Differences

XTRAWLD

So went for a ride last night, decided I need a double bubble windscreen to push the air up and over my helmet. Having it hit right at the bottom of my visor isn't going to cut it for long touring rides, which is what I plan to do.

I'm ordering from Yamaha but there is conflicting info from my research.

This states - Size: 25.5 mm taller than stock
Fade Black to Clear YAMAHA MOTOR CANADA | Accessories

But this one states - 5 mm shorter than stock; 30 mm shorter than Clear
Black YAMAHA MOTOR CANADA | Accessories

I have read that the black tint version (which is the one I prefer) is not shorter than stock, which conflicts with the Yamaha site.....I'd obviously prefer the taller version so I'd have to order the fade screen instead of the black tint that I want but I want to double check this info before I order.

Anyone have experience between these two?

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

AFDavis11

Wow! If you are expecting the wind to go over your helmet I am impressed. Do you strap the helmet to the gas tank when you ride?

I have the stock windshield with a Laminar Lip added to it and the wind hits me at my neck level.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

XTRAWLD

I don't think to have the wind kick up and over is a stretch at all. Hubby has a double bubble on his Z750S and he's about 6 foot tall. Wind goes right over. Keep in mind the double bubble pops "out" further, while the stock is more sleek and closer to the bike.

I'm about 5'7" so I don't think it would take much more height to get it over for me, esp. if it's only hitting me at the bottom of my visor which is 8 inches shorter or so than the top of my helmet.....

JSP

Super Moderator
I don't think to have the wind kick up and over is a stretch at all. Hubby has a double bubble on his Z750S and he's about 6 foot tall. Wind goes right over. Keep in mind the double bubble pops "out" further, while the stock is more sleek and closer to the bike.

I'm about 5'7" so I don't think it would take much more height to get it over for me, esp. if it's only hitting me at the bottom of my visor which is 8 inches shorter or so than the top of my helmet.....

Nope, not a stretch at all... A good windscreen should cause the flow of wind to properly flow with and over your helmet. But a bad one will cause a vacuum behind the shield that can cause very bad whipping of your helmet like someone is actually slapping you upside the head.

I went the other way and cut my screen down. This way I got more natural air. I got a lot more air on my body but it was fresh clean air and not all being directed straight into my head. You can test it by taking your windscreen off and see if you like that flow of air or not.

Roaddawg

Here's some info I posted about the clear DB from Yamaha (Scroll down to see pics of size differences): http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/yamaha-windscreen-17841/

Its a long thread but there is a lot of good info and pics in it.

I'm just shy of 6'4 and the wind hits me right at my shoulders at freeway speeds. The design of the windscreen makes the air less turbulant (than stock) around my helmet and arms, but does not block it or push it over my head. Even you being 5'7", I don't think it will push the air comletely over your helmet, but it will smooth it out more....most likely.

XTRAWLD

I guess where I'm trying to go with this thread.....

Yamaha says the BLACK double bubble is 5 mm shorter than stock
the CLEAR double bubble is 25.5 mm taller than stock

Can someone please VERIFY that this 5 mm shorter than stock is not a typo?!? My other research says it is NOT shorter so I want to know what is right.....

I want to order the black one, but I want to make sure it's TALL enough for me. Otherwise I will order the clear.

Rabbitman109

Lumen Junkie
Elite Member

Roaddawg

I guess where I'm trying to go with this thread.....

Yamaha says the BLACK double bubble is 5 mm shorter than stock
the CLEAR double bubble is 25.5 mm taller than stock

Can someone please VERIFY that this 5 mm shorter than stock is not a typo?!? My other research says it is NOT shorter so I want to know what is right.....

I want to order the black one, but I want to make sure it's TALL enough for me. Otherwise I will order the clear.
YES. It is slighty smaller than the stock. The clear DB and stock are esscentially the same size BUT, the curve in the DB makes it taller when viewed from the side. (look at the pics on page 3 of the other thread I posted). Here is another thread showing the difference: http://www.600cc.org/forum/f87/i-just-got-smoked-19154/

I'd go with the clear and then tint/paint it later if you don't like it. The DB, in either color, looks better than the stock.

Hope this info helps.

Chucker

These are same-scale photos of the 2 Yamaha DB screens. The clear is definitely larger than the smoked.

Attachments

Chucker

I've got a Puig dealer tracking down one of these for me. Puig USA says they'll arrive here mid-May.

Attachments

XTRAWLD

I've got a Puig dealer tracking down one of these for me. Puig USA says they'll arrive here mid-May.
Fancy! I notice that the edges are "curved" as opposed to straight. What does that do for the wind aerodynamics? Does it instead get pushed to the arms?

Roaddawg

Fancy! I notice that the edges are "curved" as opposed to straight. What does that do for the wind aerodynamics? Does it instead get pushed to the arms?
If your talking about the outside edges, those "curves" or "cut outs" are so you can turn the handle bars all the way to the locks....I pretty sure. When I was messing around with a plexiglass lip, I came into that problem.

dcBear78

So haoppy with the Yamaha DB screen. I got the tinted versin as it was just easier to source in Australia. Makes a world of difference. The turbulence around the head was my biggest gripe with this bike. While it doesn't direct air over me completely, it makes a massive difference. Less air, less turbulence hitting my face. I can now enjoy riding my bike.

I am about 6'1".