Windscreen Bolts

mchury

Just curious if anyone knew where i can get a few stock windscreen bolts for cheap. I need 2 thats it. The heads stripped out on them when i was taking the shield off to put my no fat chicks sticker on lol.

p.s. anyone got any they dont need and are willing to part with them i can take them off your hands.:thumbup:

Heineken

Elite Member

mchury

If I can find them I'll give you mine you just have to pay for shipping, but it's cheaper to go to your ACE Hardware or any store that sells bolts and stuff and get the Stainless Steel ones, they just look better..... IMO

yea i would deff do that but i got the yellow and black and was wanting to stick with the black. i agree it looks good on your bike tho

JonKerr

Elite Member

Roaddawg

There are plastic bolts on there for a reason. They'll break before the windscreen does in a crash. If the windscreen breaks, you've got big sharp pieces of plastic that could do a lot of damage to a rider. They're a safety feature.
Interesting...didn't know that. Makes sense though.

mchury

that does makes sense. problem is when u take them out once, the heads stripp out. I called my local yami shop and for 4 bolts, 12 dollars. o well better than getting gutted by a piece of windscreen i guess.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
How badly are the heads of the bolts stripped out? You could try to reform them. If you haven't removed a ton of the plastic, take a philips screwdriver and heat the tip up pretty hot. Then push it into the plastic to melt and reshape the head of the bolt. When the shape is right, dump ice cold water on it to set it and reharden the plastic. This might get you enough shape to get the bolts back in and tightened down.

travstoll

How badly are the heads of the bolts stripped out? You could try to reform them. If you haven't removed a ton of the plastic, take a philips screwdriver and heat the tip up pretty hot. Then push it into the plastic to melt and reshape the head of the bolt. When the shape is right, dump ice cold water on it to set it and reharden the plastic. This might get you enough shape to get the bolts back in and tightened down.
99 is a friggen genius....

I was just at Westlake ACE hardware hardware buying some things....and they do sell a few plastic bolts btw....

mchury

i wish i would have read this a few days ago. Just went to the yami shop and paid 12 dollars for 4 new ones.