Wind buffeting

Doncan

I bought my bike a month ago and so far like it very much except for one issue. When I ride it on the highway I get a lot of wind buffeting. I'm 6'0'' tall and have the seat on the high position. It's very annoying and would really appreciate any imput on this. On the back roads or the city is absolutely perfect though. :shakehead:

JSP

Super Moderator
I bought my bike a month ago and so far like it very much except for one issue. When I ride it on the highway I get a lot of wind buffeting. I'm 6'0'' tall and have the seat on the high position. It's very annoying and would really appreciate any imput on this. On the back roads or the city is absolutely perfect though. :shakehead:
Take the windscreen off and see how you like it. If you like it, you can do what I did and cut it down. You get cleaner air and no buffeting.

OR if you want more of a touring look, you can get a larger windscreen.

bobski

Yup, it's the windscreen creating the turbulance for sure. Huge difference when you take the windscreen off, you still have air pressure on your chest and helmet but it's completely smooth without the screen. I have installed the Yamaha double bubble clear windscreen and the airflow is VERY smooth so far up to about 75kph, big improvement from stock sxreen. Still need to get it on the highway though and test above 100kph. I'm 5'9" with seat in the low position though . . But my point is that the double bubble screen chances the nature of the airflow completely and seems to eliminate the turbulance 'created' by the stock screen. And yes, it is a great bike!

Chucker

I put a PUIG 5547F racing screen and it solved my buffeting problems. I'm 6'1", so I'm sure it'll work for you.

Attachments

Superzoom

Yup, it's the windscreen creating the turbulance for sure. Huge difference when you take the windscreen off, you still have air pressure on your chest and helmet but it's completely smooth without the screen. I have installed the Yamaha double bubble clear windscreen and the airflow is VERY smooth so far up to about 75kph, big improvement from stock sxreen. Still need to get it on the highway though and test above 100kph.
So you did get the DB, Bobski. I still stand by my opinion that the DB is almost as turbulent as the stock screen. Any set up is fine below 80 kph. It's only at highway speeds when windscreen deficiencies become apparent. For me, anywhere between 100 and 140 kph, the DB is not good. You'll see what I mean when you try it on the highway.

Fizzer6R

I put a PUIG 5547F racing screen and it solved my buffeting problems. I'm 6'1", so I'm sure it'll work for you.
did you happen to measure the PUIG vs. the stock screen, and if so, about how much taller is it? it does look good and also seems to help make the mirrors not look so darn tall

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Fizzer6R

woa Marthy I just noticed the red chain and other painted bits, how come you didn't buy those red seats that were for sale

Chucker

Chucker

did you happen to measure the PUIG vs. the stock screen, and if so, about how much taller is it? it does look good and also seems to help make the mirrors not look so darn tall
I did. It's about 1/2" longer, but sits quite a bit taller because of the bubble. When sitting on the bike, the stock screen looked to be directing the air right at my helmet. With the PUIG, it is obviously directing it up and around me. The redirection of the airflow is so good, I sit upright now until around 80MPH.

I think the dark smoke tint is what makes the mirrors seem less obtrusive. It adds quite a bit of black in the middle.

Last edited:

ksanbon

So you did get the DB, Bobski. I still stand by my opinion that the DB is almost as turbulent as the stock screen.
I agree. The DB bends upward and forces the airflow up and lets the air tumble behind it. The Puig is much better.

Last edited:

Doncan

Thanks a lot to everyone for your response and advise. I've been leaning towards trimming my windshield and make it shorter but was unsure but now I 'll be putting my Dremel to work. It will be the first mod in my list to start the personalization process. :thumbup:

bobski

I hear you Superzoom and I'm real interested to see how it feels at 100kph and over. With the stock screen I experienced buffetting from 30kph up and the doubble bubble has eliminated it up to the 75-80 range . . that's the basis of my optimism. I've been on a restricted riding schedule due to a little health issue but in a week or so I'll be back to full speed and will post my thoughts about effectiveness of the double bubble at freeway speeds then.

roadrat

I switched from stock to the Yamaha screen and noticed very little difference. I'm 5'10" I have the Puig double bubble on back order at motorcycle superstore but it looks like the order will expire before they will be able to get it to me. :(

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

JSP

Super Moderator
Thanks a lot to everyone for your response and advise. I've been leaning towards trimming my windshield and make it shorter but was unsure but now I 'll be putting my Dremel to work. It will be the first mod in my list to start the personalization process. :thumbup:

Here is what it looked like when I cut mine down. This is still with the stock mirrors on.

Superzoom

And just to complicate things further...

So I cut down my windscreen pretty much like Jspansel, except I left mine perhaps two inches taller. Lo and behold, beautiful clean air and almost zero turbulence. Way less helmet noise and my head wasn't being bashed around.

BUT... once you ride it over 110 kph, it gets a little tiring from the strong wind blast hitting your chest. Maybe it was because I was going between 110-140 kph for hours at a time, but I was pretty tired at the end of the ride. There's a heck of a strong wind force pushing on your chest and head at 140.

So, it's a bit of a compromise. Either you cut your windscreen and have nice clean air, but no protection when you go really fast. OR you get a taller windscreen (Puig, Marthy) and push the air well over your head. I'd cut your windscreen if you don't go super fast and don't do a lot of touring.

Superzoom

By the way, Doncan... If you do cut your windscreen here's how to decide how much to cut: Go for a ride on a highway. Put your hand up in front of your face. You'll feel it getting hit by a lot of turbulent wind. Move your hand up and down in front of you until you figure out where the turbulence starts to dissipate and becomes acceptably clean. Now you want this "line of turbulence" to be lowered to hit you a couple inches below the bottom of your helmet. So the distance between the current "line of turbulence" and your sternum is the amount you should trim your windscreen. If you cut too much, you may be too exposed. If you cut too little, the wind will catch the bottom of your helmet and make a heck of a noise.

I did a "how to" on cutting my screen. It might be in the mods section, I'm not sure. I put masking tape on my screen to protect it and give a cutting line guide, and then used a jigsaw on medium speed. Cut it very carefully with a steady hand the first time, and you shouldn't need to sand the edge much when you're done.

Here's a pic of my cut screen.

Good luck!

Last edited: