Why riders like deep sound on bike's exhaust

jocampo

Taking the "loudness" concept a side, why do you guys think that riders (I do not want to say men only, I know women ride as well) prefer a deeper note on their bike exhaust? Is that a psychological stuff?

Again, not talking about how loud a exhaust system can be, but how deep it sounds.

Also, any woman that can comment on that and give her input?

Thanks,

CDN6R

Interesting question,, probably lots and lots of different answers. I for one am a bass guitar player and I have always liked a deep sound for just about everything (except my wife!) Nothing turns my head more than a S.B.C./B.B.C with the right sounding exhaust especially when the engine has a slight lope to the idle. Gawd! to me it is heavenly. A bass guitar line in a song that is so low that it kind of rolls on the floor (sound waves) and loud enough that you can feel the vibes in your chest or your feet. The deep sound of a Harley,,something about that sound that just gets me everytime I hear it. Perhaps it corilates (spelling?) with the low thump/thump of our own heart that beats in everyone? Who knows? But I love deep sounds.
Laurie

Tmak73

I think it is a more appealing sound, sounds meaner to me. But it seems to me that all pipes scream at a higher pitch once they get in higher RPM's. That is what I have noticed with my TBR at least.

jocampo

Well, I love deep notes on bikes as well. As a matter of fact, one of the things that sold me to the Street Triple.

But I find fascinating that the appealing factor of deep exhaust sound is spread all over the community, regardless of the type of bike. Not a rule, of course, but very common.

The comment that sounds "mean" is also true. But why "mean" is associated with a "deeper" sound and not a high pitch?

No offense to anyone or trying to be sexists here, just thinking loud. May be related to female and male voices? I find attractive a sweet and high pitch (not too high) voice on women. Actually, my wife was an opera singer. ;-)

CrazyCawi

I like really high pitched ones that sound like a whistle. Most commonly found on honda civics when you combine huge airflow with lack of motor.

Y

yellowfz

I like a deep tone so that way I don't hear the whine of the Harley guys and the sound like a bee buzzing past them just infuriates them. :)
If you ever hear a I4 with nice exhaust from a distance at freeway speed you know why. :D

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

yfz6r

I think it's because it sounds like there is more power. muscle cars are always deep sounding compared to rice burners with higher pitch noise.

I like quiet. Stock exhaust is where it's at!

See red

I like really high pitched ones that sound like a whistle. Most commonly found on honda civics when you combine huge airflow with lack of motor.
Wow.... You have not heard a well built n/a b18 then. I can tell you my friend run a 450 horse b18 and that thing does scream up high, but at idle it is just down right messed up deep.

The more the explosion or the larger the impact there of, will take on a deeper tone. When you have a well built high compression engine with a smaller displacement it will of course get higher pitched, but down low it will be easy to hear the power, big displacement might be lower compression but will have a bigger explosoin. It also won't get the chance to scream due to trying to reverse the moment of inertia of a big slug.

But yeh it still nice to hear.

Botty12

I like the low rumble because it sounds meaner to me. Part of it's nostalgic (old muscle car love) and I think the other is psychological. When I picture powerful animals, I picture low growling roars or barks. A low pitched growl from a Doberman scares me a lot more than a high pitched bark from a lil annoying yapper. And when was the last time a tough guy playing sports gave a high pitch scream? They definitely grunt lol. As does Venus Williams. Cough.

My 2 cents, and a girl's perspective at that!

jocampo

I like the low rumble because it sounds meaner to me. Part of it's nostalgic (old muscle car love) and I think the other is psychological. When I picture powerful animals, I picture low growling roars or barks. A low pitched growl from a Doberman scares me a lot more than a high pitched bark from a lil annoying yapper. And when was the last time a tough guy playing sports gave a high pitch scream? They definitely grunt lol. As does Venus Williams. Cough.

My 2 cents, and a girl's perspective at that!
Nice post! Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Flipflash

Elite Member

Chevyfazer

Have you ever herd a high pitched whiney bike and said to your self "damn that sounds good"....

I know I haven't....