when will you put the bike up in the northeast ?

W

whatever

i figure late nov early dec been 9 years since i owned a bike so i forgot when the temp gets bad.

i will wait until a salt truck drives down my block.... i do not want to stabil the fuel until as late as possible

my bike will be stored in a heated garage..... i wonder whats that differents. heated or not heated.

i plan on removing the battery termals and stabil the fuel and every 30 days move bike so tires are not in the same positions. battery tender every 30 days give the battery a charge.

did i miss anything ?

plug tailpipe with a rag and plastic bag.

Last edited by a moderator:

CDN6R

Well I am more North and further East than you. I imagine that I will probably put the 6R up for hibernation in mid to late October. I will fill up the gas tank and add Sta-Bil and run the bike for a bit. Then apply a coat of wax,lube the chain and put her in the basement (recroom). Curious,if your bike is in a heated garage,why plug the tail pipe with a rag? Thanks. Laurie P.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

creggur

I'd hate to live somewhere I had to put my bike up for the winter. Of course, all of our roads are flat and straight, so you guys have more fun while you can ride, I suppose.

I rode on our coldest days last year, I think 25 was the lowest we got. Which calculated to a windchill of -2 degrees at 100 MPH - Windchill Calculator. I did the run up to 100 on the way to work one morning just to say I hit negative windchill numbers;)

Hey, we don't get opportunities like that in Florida very often:cool:

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
Tank full with Stabil and plug in the battery tender jr. I typically do a full maint with OLF and chain cleaning, heavy wax lube and adjustment. They (both bikes) stay in a garage that isn't heated.

MikeN02

I'd hate to live somewhere I had to put my bike up for the winter. Of course, all of our roads are flat and straight, so you guys have more fun while you can ride, I suppose.

I rode on our coldest days last year, I think 25 was the lowest we got. Which calculated to a windchill of -2 degrees at 100 MPH - Windchill Calculator. I did the run up to 100 on the way to work one morning just to say I hit negative windchill numbers;)

Hey, we don't get opportunities like that in Florida very often:cool:
+1 I remember last yeah, was crazy... thought it was actually going to snow in florida but it just hailed.

Friends thought I was crazy for riding but I finally got a motorcycle. Wore layers until I got my Frank Thomas XTI, that thing kept me warm by itself. Then I had a beanie in my helmet, glove liners, and sweats under my jeans. Couple of socks too

W

whatever

maybe in a heated garage there is no need to plug the tail pipe ? ....... no need to fog the cylinders i may start the bike once a month.

in upstate ny there have been some years with no snow even around christmas..... so may be awhile.

may sell the bike also not sure and buy a new one in the spring..... and my price would be awesome for a quick sell like best offer over 3000 grand and hope to get about 4695.00

miles 3800 hundred and counting. 5 oil changes. never seen rain or a water hose... mint conditions not a stratch......

motomc2

Just now starting to cool off here ...

in Texas (mid 80's during the day). The flip side to being down south is it gets hotter than hell during the summer. So hot sometimes I blew off riding...especially if I knew I would be in some stop and go traffic.

JonKerr

Elite Member

J.J.

Tank full with Stabil and plug in the battery tender jr. I typically do a full maint with OLF and chain cleaning, heavy wax lube and adjustment. They (both bikes) stay in a garage that isn't heated.
That is what I am going to do except in my storage shed.
Then its time to pre-season the snowmobiles....;)

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

JnT4Life

I usually try to ride some during the winter and I park in a heated garage so I don't do anything out of the ordinary except add some sea foam to the fuel. Here is a good article on winterizing your bike for storage:

How to winterize your motorcycle

fz6rwolf

No garage, coat of wax, some stabil, cover and ride an hour at least once a month when temps tolerable and roads dry. When owned cruisers same thing (and no chrome rust).

flyingminno

"put the bike up" what? I would be depressed those months that I couldn't ride...then again, It was 113° a few days ago...and now its 70° and stormy...bipolar weather we have in Southern California.

But seriously, I think putting it up before the salt is on the road is a good idea, as the chain and all the many exposed bolts would appreciate it.