whats your breaking point

shocker35

Ok obviously I am a new rider. This is my first bike and my first season coming up. IN MI this week as well as next week temps are supposed to stay anywhere between 36-49. I am curious as to when I should call the dealer and tell them to prep the bike? I know its all personal and what temps you can withstand but I am asking what everyone elses point is when they will start to ride. thanks

DragonBlu

Dry road and anything above 30 degrees works for me. Dress up and gear up and go for it!

e.blackadder

It really depends on your age, health and stamina. I moved to Western WA some 18 years ago and loved it back then. Now the 150 non-rainy days a year (doesn’t mean sunny or fair), the constant overcast, fog, dampness and drizzle get to me and there is hardly ever a day when I don’t bitch about the lucky bastards in So Ca. I get all achey below 45 and try not to ride then.

I went to ride in the Cascade foothills last Saturday (Ben Howard road and around). It was good 55 at the sea level, but the moment we got into the hills and thick forest it dropped to low 40’s-upper 30’s. I was uncomfortable, even with all the layers.

You got to try what feels good for you.

flyingminno

It really depends on your age, health and stamina. I moved to Western WA some 18 years ago and loved it back then. Now the 150 non-rainy days a year (doesn’t mean sunny or fair), the constant overcast, fog, dampness and drizzle get to me and there is hardly ever a day when I don’t bitch about the lucky bastards in So Ca. I get all achey below 45 and try not to ride then.

I went to ride in the Cascade foothills last Saturday (Ben Howard road and around). It was good 55 at the sea level, but the moment we got into the hills and thick forest it dropped to low 40’s-upper 30’s. I was uncomfortable, even with all the layers.

You got to try what feels good for you.
Hey now, we aren't always sunshine and warmth. This week is heavy rain and mid 50's, but I did catch a 30° reading on my on the bike thermometer last month.

But I do agree, minus any ice and with the right gear, you could go riding in any weather you can personally stand.

bmw675

So far I haven't gone out below 40F.

under armour helps me alot, but i still need to get something to sheild my neck, that seems to be my weak spot.

shocker35

I am 27 with no health issued fortunately enough. :) Being I am a relatively new rider I want to do the MSF course a couple times in the parking lots here just to become more accustomed to the bike before I take to the streets. So I am guessing I should have the bike below 30mph for the first 2 weeks of riding.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Last edited:

Queen

I'll ride starting about 25F as long as the streets are dry, but I have a short commute so 25 isn't bad. To go out for a long "fun" ride it needs to be 40 or above.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I ride as long as the roads are clear! The temps can be below freezing, but as long as I wear my overpants and thick jacket and gloves, I'm good to go!

karl213

i agree as long as there is no snow, im good to go. The coldest I have ever been in was -15C or 5F(I think that is right).:canada:

Enze

No ice or snow on the ground and i ride around no matter what temp. Also i found that my snowboarding gloves do amazing at keeping my hands warm when its cold out. They might not be as protective against crashing but they're really warm... and lots of layers.

Kspalla

I have ridden in 15 degree weather but I work over night and it is real cold in the morning so I figure if it is around 40 when I leave it wont be so bad on the way home :)

For me it was a "Need to ride" that caused that cold trip to happen... yeah the wife crashed her car into the back of my suv and therefore the only transportation not wrecked was the 6r... luck me! still made it to work, cold but happy!!

KamiKaziCalm

Can't really add anything that hasn't been said, but being a new rider I would avoid any wet areas at freezing temps or otherwise as long as your bundled and so restricted by your gear that you cant move freely, your good to go.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

shocker35

thank you everyone for your responses. I think I will wait to the first fo second week of march to pick up the bike based on averages for my area thats when the temps average about 40. Snow is almost melted here thank God.

Fenixgoon

Ok obviously I am a new rider. This is my first bike and my first season coming up. IN MI this week as well as next week temps are supposed to stay anywhere between 36-49. I am curious as to when I should call the dealer and tell them to prep the bike? I know its all personal and what temps you can withstand but I am asking what everyone elses point is when they will start to ride. thanks
i find that anything < 40deg F is going to require some really good gear, probably heated. generally i won't ride more than an hour because my hands get too cold (i bought new gloves that are warmer, but my hands are still cold)

effective temperature of 45deg going 60mph is 25deg. a bit chilly!

husker525

I will do 40 degrees if it is a short ride, and speeds under about 45 mph. I live about 30 miles of freeway speeds to get to the city, so at 75 mph, even layered up, I have parts that are frozen. The windchill factor will get you...