What Chain Lube Do You Use?

MattEnTheHat

So this has almost certainly been discussed before, but I couldn't find it and the search function didn't help. If anyone can point me to a relevant thread, that would be great. Otherwise:

What do you all use to lube your chains?

FastFreddy

I tried a lot of them, some of them I threw out before the can was finished. (way waxy or way oily flingy)

I like PJ1 Blue label, its in between runny and claggy/too waxy.

PJ1 gives the clear chain look.

ej'sfz

Motul clear for me.... this one sticks the best to the chain, initial ride after drying tends to fling ti the wheel but thats rhe case qith anything really...my only complaint which I guess I cant complain about is it is a p.I.t.a. to clean off the wheel if you don clean it often lol... cleans pretty easy off the chain with degreaser though

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

adamo3957

I use wd-40 in an automatic luber...

There's a bloke in the same city as me who has used wd-40 for the life of his chains and regularly see 40-50,000miles.

Just remember it requires a frequent application

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

Grumpy

I use the same stuff, works great and no sling.

floki

Automatic Transmission Fluid. It cleans the chain each time you apply it with an old shop rag. My chain looks brand new everytime I apply it. There isn't much fling and if you do get an excess, you used too much. I clean it about every tank of gas and it works great.

bmw675

Dupont chain wax from walmart...but I don't do it regularly enough
+1
I've been using the DuPont Teflon in the blue can with good results. I've seen others have been mentioning that the yellow can lasts longer. Un/fortunately the can lasts forever, so I haven't tried it out yet.

blkbrd

Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

D52

I use Belray super clean... but the name is misleading and does leave a bit of white residue. I had bought a few cans last year as filler in an online order to reach the free shipping threshold, but I may try something else once my last can is gone.

I use a dupont chain wax, but it's a liquid. Works well, but thinking of switching to a spray, just easier to apply. I use WD40 to clean the chain. Need to do it this weekend actually. Have a tiny bit of surface rust on a few links, because I rode after it rained and roads were still a little bit wet. Should have cleaned and lubed afterwards, but I didn't. If forecast is close to correct only day it's forecast to rain next week is Tuesday so I can ride to work Monday and Wednesday-Friday. The rain seems non-stop. Snowed everyday this winter and now rain every day this spring. Grass looks good though. LOL
Lol, Western PA is no better. Grass does look good, but that just means I have to cut it more often. :mad: And I can think of at least one thing I'd rather be doing on the few nice days we do have...

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
Last edited:

ksanbon

Dupont Teflon Lubricant & Dupont Chain Degreaser. Clean and easy. Available at Walmart.