Well I'm doing it (Plasti-Dip forks)

Plasti-dip is awesome. If it gets messed up, super easy to fix. The same can't be said with paint.

I also use plastidip on my micro rc helicopters. When a small plastic piece like the landing gear breaks, the plastidip holds it together and provides flex. Great stuff.

(I've never used it on tools...)

semi hard rubber texture. Not sure how else to explain it ;)
Also, I don't think it would be good for the brake/clutch lever. It would rub off pretty quick. However the stuff was originally made for grips on tools etc... So it might work with a lot of coats.

I've plasti dipped my tools for many years and it typically will last a good 3 years before it comes off. The key though is to make sure you get all grease and oil off of the levers, take them off the bike obviously and tape them off in the right areas and then spray away.

I would say to spray them as you would want nice and even coats.

Also you may not want to do this for safety concerns... There are reasons behind the levers being smooth metal. It would be better to just powder coat the levers properly and you'll be much happier, plus the item are small enough you can just easily use a garage sale toaster oven... lol.

Looks good man! Glad to see somebody went through with it!

Also when it comes to plastidip, the more coats you do the better, because the thicker it is, the easier it is to get off when it's time.

I always use the actual dip. Get really thick coats when I dip something in, and brush it on when I want thin coats.

How does the spray work? Does it come out like regular spray paint, or more like a squirt bottle?

I always use the actual dip. Get really thick coats when I dip something in, and brush it on when I want thin coats.

How does the spray work? Does it come out like regular spray paint, or more like a squirt bottle?

Like spray paint.

Just like spray paint. It's basically latex rubber in a can. :)

I am wondering what you guys think of Plastidipping the brake and clutch lever. Would that be a good or bad idea? I'm assuming it would increase grip, but would that be a good thing when working the clutch. And how tough is Plastidip? Would it start detaching and tearing in time through regular use/abuse?
I'm not thinking it would be good on levers. I like the ability, especially with the clutch lever, to let it slide off my fingers. When you think about it, if the grip was a good thing, someone would make levers that way.

I'm not thinking it would be good on levers. I like the ability, especially with the clutch lever, to let it slide off my fingers. When you think about it, if the grip was a good thing, someone would make levers that way.

That's what I was assuming. So I'll be dropping that idea. Thanks.

I'm doing it right now. I think that I did the first coat waaaay too thick, so we will see if it turns out good or not. I'm doing it with the brake calipers still on the bike so I did a massive amount of taping off for those and the air filter.

I'll keep you guys posted

I'm doing it right now. I think that I did the first coat waaaay too thick, so we will see if it turns out good or not. I'm doing it with the brake calipers still on the bike so I did a massive amount of taping off for those and the air filter.

I'll keep you guys posted

Sweet! remember, 1 Million light coats! to thick and it will run!!!

Sweet! remember, 1 Million light coats! to thick and it will run!!!

yea the first pass on one fork had a little dripage on the bottom and a slight run, the second i got the hang of just doing quick taps on the sprayer. that side had more light too >.>

yea the first pass on one fork had a little dripage on the bottom and a slight run, the second i got the hang of just doing quick taps on the sprayer. that side had more light too >.>

I wiped some spots where it was too much... but as long as you do tons of coats you wont even notice... ;)

I wiped some spots where it was too much... but as long as you do tons of coats you wont even notice... ;)

exactly! bring on the coats!

it just sucks getting the inside of the forks with the wheel still on :(

I have one of the Spray triggers. very nice i have used it to paint a few things. makes it easier to do light passes

I have one of the Spray triggers. very nice i have used it to paint a few things. makes it easier to do light passes

i wish they had one at any of the shops i went, i had to order the can of the spray plastidip. all they had were the cans you dip your tools in

Keep us posted, pic's would be great too :)

Just did the 4th pass, it's looking quite a bit smoother and even now

i wish they had one at any of the shops i went, i had to order the can of the spray plastidip. all they had were the cans you dip your tools in

Just did the 4th pass, it's looking quite a bit smoother and even now

Oh yeah. It will start looking good. I think I did 5-6 full coats.

Back