Wanting to upgrade to higher vis rear turn signal lights

blueox600

Hey. I'm new to the riding world - recently got a 2009 fz6r that has really poor rear signal lights. The visibility is brutal. They were an add-on the previous owner mounted with the tail tidy. Any recommendations on what to upgrade to? Thanks!

Not sure if the stock factory fender look appeals to you, but you could probably find someone who removed it willing to part with one on here. The turn signals on those are just regular old incandescent bulbs but they're large, far apart and bright enough. You could keep the LED tail light if you wanted to.

I know what you mean about the visibility, I installed a Motodynamic LED tail light which is sleek but really wasn't comfortable with the reduced visibility they offered to cars behind me. I ended up reinstalling the factory fender/lights once I put on my luggage racks (needed factory fender for them to mount properly). Doesn't look as sleek but I feel better.

Anyway, going back to stock is one option.

blueox600

Thanks! We just finished up an XJ6 conversion on it and so I'm not keen on the idea of going back to stock but will definitely keep it in consideration as an option.

Dan-600

Get some stock blinkers and put LED bulbs in them, that will give you the best visibility. I may be selling mine (stock with LED's) in a day or two...

Get some stock blinkers and put LED bulbs in them, that will give you the best visibility. I may be selling mine (stock with LED's) in a day or two...
Dan, would you mind pointing us to what LED bulbs you used? Did you have issues with flash rate after installing them?

Thanks (hope I'm not hi-jacking!)

Brent27

Dan, would you mind pointing us to what LED bulbs you used? Did you have issues with flash rate after installing them?

Thanks (hope I'm not hi-jacking!)
I second this - I'm curious to know also. I know the stock signals are dorky but I like that they're higher vis. LEDs would be a great addition.

Last edited:

catdoc

You would have to install a resistor to drop the flash rate. This can be done in line, or you can replace the stock relay with one which does the job. I used a relay from 12o'clock labs(Fixed Rate Turn Signal Flasher) on my CBR250R. It worked well. I have to disagree with the poster above who didn't like the Motodynamics unit. I have it and love it. Plenty visible IMHO. Very bright LED's which are high up in the brake light.

mtb4ever

I recently installed this fender eliminator that is CNC machined aluminum and comes with LED signals and license plate light. Routing the wiring cleanly requires some attention to detail but it looks great and works fine.

FZ6R FZ 6R Blue Fender Eliminator 2T s 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 | eBay

I also had to replace the stock flasher with one designed for both LED and regular bulbs to prevent the signals from flashing really fast. The stock flasher is designed for regular bulbs and the LEDs don't draw enough power to slow the flashing down. The flasher replacement did the trick.

I have to disagree with the poster above who didn't like the Motodynamics unit. I have it and love it. Plenty visible IMHO. Very bright LED's which are high up in the brake light.
Well you're right that they're bright and high up which is nice (and the unit itself is nice and well made). Maybe I'm too paranoid but I guess I'm concerned that because it doesn't resemble traditional turn signals that people are used to, they won't see them. I just assume the worst from all drivers.

I suppose if I hadn't reinstalled the original fender to facilitate the installation of my SW-Motech luggage racks that I would have left the Motodynamics/fender eliminator alone. It was more like after reinstalling the factory signals and looking at the bike, I felt a bit more secure that I wasn't making my myself less visible or my intentions less clear.

Not saying that others who want to shouldn't install the Motodynamics unit.