Wal-Mart!

daddyrack

Premium Member

BoneJj

that's a rather interesting little tool, too bad they wont switch to belt drive for most bikes, what a much less maintenance system.

findmadhav

Yes, if you go to one of the Walmart Supercenters, you will find most of the motorcycle maintenance stuff. I saw the gunge brush and also the DuPont Teflon change cleaner and lube. I also saw motorcycle synthetic oil, motorcyle covers etc. etc. In NJ, one such Walmart that has it is the one at Freehold.

applejax

Yes, if you go to one of the Walmart Supercenters, you will find most of the motorcycle maintenance stuff. I saw the gunge brush and also the DuPont Teflon change cleaner and lube. I also saw motorcycle synthetic oil, motorcyle covers etc. etc. In NJ, one such Walmart that has it is the one at Freehold.
That's my Walmart! I live within 5 minutes of that store!

Fizzer6R

IIRC most long touring riders prefer shaft over chain, right?

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

daddyrack

Premium Member

BoneJj

Shaft drive, even better!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk
While shaft drive is a lot less maintenance there is a big power loss compared to chain/belt. Belt drive has the least amount of power loss compared to others. Hence why most newer bikes are moving to belt.

That's what I've read at least.

My big annoyance with shaft drive is that if you want to drop a bike an inch or 2 it can mean a lot of wear on the driveshaft components ..... I'm not cool with that aspect...

BoneJj

Really, belt drive?
why not? The new ones that Yamaha is using on the 1300cc raiders and a few of their other bikes are kevlar and carbon fiber re-enforced and have a ridiculous mileage rating, I don't remember the numbers off hand but considering you never really have to touch them it's kind of a nice system....

yeah the pulleys are a lot more expensive but it's not that big of a deal... most people don't go swapping pulleys every few weeks.

What are the mileage time frames for oiling a chain? I know some bikes have auto oilers but if not how often do you have to oil them up?