Vinyl wrap

felix77

So I decided to take the plunge. I'm going to hold off on making my bike a street fighter. That is a lot of work just to get mounting gear for the headlights and gauges. I live in an apartment so I can't fab my own.Plus, I don't want to modify or sell my stock parts. I want to be able to switch back and forth.

I decided to order matte black 3m vinyl wrap. It will be a DIY project.I know it is difficult but I've watched a lot of videos and read a lot of blogs, while everyone I have read stated it was hard, all of them managed to get a clean wrap in the end.

I have a 2012 white, I planned a color change when I bought it. Never liked the white, black looks good but I like matte so I took what they had in stock.

I ordered some reflective blue pin-striping from steetglo.net. I plan on doing accents like:

MC-Customs-Savini-GTR-5.jpg

I could also go all black, with black pinstripe tape that reflects white. Or I could go matte black with reflective while accents and logos.

I found a couple sites that sell reflective vinyl YAMAHA, but one is only 4"x1", I want a larger YAMAHA on my belly pan, so I'll have to get the more expensive custom one.

So, any opinions on the color scheme? Black/white, black/blue or black/black?

One more thing, aluminum rear sprocket, I can get it in black or blue, is it worth it?

I've thought about getting matching fairing bolts for whatever color I go. I am still leaning towards the blue trim, with blue adjustable clutch and brake leavers. I think it looks incredible, but all matte black with chrome bolts, exhaust and leavers would pop as well.

I am going solid matte and doing vinyl tape overlay for the accents. Until I get matching aftermarket parts, I am not really stuck with anything.

Vinyl wrap is $160 and 8 hours of your time. The best guess I've seen is that a 5'x15' piece is just enough to have some room for mistakes.

good luck! and it's not difficult at all with a right tools! you will need heat gun, good cleaning solution, wipe which don't leave any particles behind it, sharp knife, clean, well lit garage (avoid doing it outdoors because of dust) and that thing... don't know the name, but you seen it in the video.

Really easy and if you screw something up - remove and do it again :)

Hair antistatic removes glue very easily and don't damage the paint, though not all the brands.

Where do you buy vinyl to wrap the fairings etc?? This would help protect a little bit from Rock chips etc.. Basically wax it then put on clear vinyl would be an option wouldnt it?? If that is how it would work, that might be something for me to look at over winter also..

do not put wax before putting vynil. it won't stick as long as just clean surface.

That's my car long ago. That graphics held well for about 3 years all year driving. Full wrap on seasonal riding will hold longer. Just don't forget to remove all air bubbles

Attachments

• 33722_445109368517_55333_n.jpg
    33722_445109368517_55333_n.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 35
good luck! and it's not difficult at all with a right tools! you will need heat gun, good cleaning solution, wipe which don't leave any particles behind it, sharp knife, clean, well lit garage (avoid doing it outdoors because of dust) and that thing... don't know the name, but you seen it in the video.

Really easy and if you screw something up - remove and do it again :)

Hair antistatic removes glue very easily and don't damage the paint, though not all the brands.

Thanks! I was considering doing it outside, but I guess I'll use my friends garage.

If all goes well, I may do it on the side for extra money. Bike mods and tattoos are expensive. At the rate I'm saving it will take me a year to do my bike and three more for my tattoo.

That's my car long ago. That graphics held well for about 3 years all year driving. Full wrap on seasonal riding will hold longer. Just don't forget to remove all air bubbles

Haha that's awesome!

Where do you buy vinyl to wrap the fairings etc?? This would help protect a little bit from Rock chips etc.. Basically wax it then put on clear vinyl would be an option wouldnt it?? If that is how it would work, that might be something for me to look at over winter also..

Any vehicle vinyl will do, make sure it is UV protected so it won't fade. If you remove it years down the road you will find a mint stock paint job. So it preserves the resell value, you can have your own taste without worrying about having a limited market to sell to.

This site has 3M, you may find better for cheaper. Being new, I'm just going with a name I know. But if you look at professional wrappers sites, they will say "proudly use x brand vinyl." That can give you some ideas.

3M Wraps

3m has a limited selection, some can print anything you want. But I think a lot of custom designs are harder to install, because you have to line them up right than patterns or solid colors and can't stretch them without warping the picture.

Thanks! I was considering doing it outside, but I guess I'll use my friends garage.

If all goes well, I may do it on the side for extra money. Bike mods and tattoos are expensive. At the rate I'm saving it will take me a year to do my bike and three more for my tattoo.
Yup. It's time consuming that's why shops charge quite a lot. Also, that device which cuts custom graphics isn't cheap. Just wrapping can be done yourself without much expenses

Any vehicle vinyl will do, make sure it is UV protected so it won't fade. If you remove it years down the road you will find a mint stock paint job. So it preserves the resell value, you can have your own taste without worrying about having a limited market to sell to.

This site has 3M, you may find better for cheaper. Being new, I'm just going with a name I know. But if you look at professional wrappers sites, they will say "proudly use x brand vinyl." That can give you some ideas.

3M Wraps

3m has a limited selection, some can print anything you want. But I think a lot of custom designs are harder to install, because you have to line them up right than patterns or solid colors and can't stretch them without warping the picture.

Oracle is very good

Go with black bolts, black levers. Do some accent to the black levers. If you go with a minimum blue accent I think it will look sick.

i have done vinyl wrapping before. its fairly simple. just make sure you use a heat gun and have a clean surface.

Back