Two Bros Full Exhaust - Do you find it too loud?

cloudfire

I am also one of those that doesn't want an obnoxiously loud bike but I also did not like the sound or look of the stock exhaust. I got the TBR and ordered the P1X. Here's the raw data from TBR: the TBR is an increase of 15db. The P1 tip reduces that by about 3-4 db and the P1X reduces it by 7-8. So, with the P1X the difference from stock should be about 7-8db louder. From TBR, the stock exhaust is about 86db @3000 rpm so 94db shouldn't be that much louder. I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon with everyone else and say that the wind is going to be the number one culprit for damaging your ears.

Oh, and just so you don't think I don't have a dog in the fight, I've had hearing loss in the past (over 50%) and have had it corrected. Protecting my hearing is a big priority.

Deanohh

I am also one of those that doesn't want an obnoxiously loud bike but I also did not like the sound or look of the stock exhaust. I got the TBR and ordered the P1X. Here's the raw data from TBR: the TBR is an increase of 15db. The P1 tip reduces that by about 3-4 db and the P1X reduces it by 7-8. So, with the P1X the difference from stock should be about 7-8db louder. From TBR, the stock exhaust is about 86db @3000 rpm so 94db shouldn't be that much louder. I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon with everyone else and say that the wind is going to be the number one culprit for damaging your ears.

Oh, and just so you don't think I don't have a dog in the fight, I've had hearing loss in the past (over 50%) and have had it corrected. Protecting my hearing is a big priority.
Db numbers are not linear so a 94db sound is more than 4 times as loud as a 86db sound.

spleakz0r

Thanks for the posts guys, some useful info.

Right now my biggest concern is this tinnitus going away, it's been almost a week and it still seems to be almost exactly the same. :(

Has anyone else here had a similar thing happen to them?

I only just started riding, so it's not really something I've ever experienced before. Up until now the closest thing I'd get is very very minor, very very short-term tinnitus after spending the day/night at a really loud event. And even then, it would be gone by the time I woke up the next day.

It also seems a bit weird because I'm sure plenty of other people here ride their FZ6R with the two brothers exhaust and have no dramas.

I've never really had sensitive ears/hearing, so yeah.

I would honestly go to your ear doctor and ask him about it.

Everyone's ears are very different. I rode 45 minutes without ear plugs and my ears just hurt, but I didn't get anything else. I usually never ride without them though.

spleakz0r

I would honestly go to your ear doctor and ask him about it.
If the ringing/sensitivity stays around another week then I'll definitely be seeing an ear doctor.

Everyone's ears are very different.
And unfortunately this is the answer I think all doctors are going to give me.

I just figure maybe if others who ride an FZ6R + TwoBros ever had the same thing happen to them they could potentially shed a little light on my situation.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

KeysRider3

Congrats on the new 6R, and sorry to read you're hearing bells. Tinnitus takes a while to get over, and you may need a visit to your doctor for something that will reduce the inflammation of your eardrum. It's most likely the result of several events: iPod, crowds, an after-market exhaust that's not only louder, but probably has a different (higher?) pitch to its exhaust note, and a very long ride with both the exhaust and wind noises assaulting your ears. When I'm on my Harley (stock exhaust) for long periods of time I wear rubber ear plugs AND a full face helmet. Good luck with your recovery, and get back on your bike as soon as possible!

BoneJj

Thanks for the posts guys, some useful info.

Right now my biggest concern is this tinnitus going away, it's been almost a week and it still seems to be almost exactly the same. :(

Has anyone else here had a similar thing happen to them?

I only just started riding, so it's not really something I've ever experienced before. Up until now the closest thing I'd get is very very minor, very very short-term tinnitus after spending the day/night at a really loud event. And even then, it would be gone by the time I woke up the next day.

It also seems a bit weird because I'm sure plenty of other people here ride their FZ6R with the two brothers exhaust and have no dramas.

I've never really had sensitive ears/hearing, so yeah.
what it sounds like to me is that you have had a lot of damage to the nerves in your ears and the bike just put you over the top and now you have the problem.

I was like you, I used to go to the clubs a lot and parties, along with being in the military and around extremely loud guns, machines and then worked in labs with very loud equipment. It all adds up, I now have tinnitus and I'm stuck with it, it's been years for me now, I almost don't remember what peace and quiet is anymore. I think I've only had a couple days here and there over the last few years that I was able to get any relief.

I hope your goes away, I hope you don't have to live with it... Clubs have their speakers well past the limits and they are a major culprit in the damage of young peoples ears.... I wish they would get the hint and bring the volume down in the clubs but we all know that will not happen.

I wish they would also be required to put up warning signs in front of the clubs to let people know of the dangers. Maybe I and many others would have had a better chance of not having to have this incessant ringing that never ends. Sometimes it seems getting drunk as hell is the only relief I can get... It's not that frustrating but once every 6 months or so I just feel the need to get really drunk so I can forget about the ringing for a night, we that and my leg and arm but hey whatever...... lol.

I'm a little aggravated with it right now because it's louder than usual so yeah, plus I haven't been to bed in 24 hours....

6R Blackout

I myself have a 2Bros, full exhuast me personally find it Quite loud, too loud not really, I in many ways like it as loud as it is for one main reason.
SAFETY! People hear me alot of times before they see me, it is like they are aware something is coming or close to them. It is hard to communicate with my girl when we are riding, she has a Vespa and her scooter is really quiet, she will pull up next to me and try to talk to me and we have to yell to communicate, so as far as that part is concerned, IMO then it is loud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Casey (aka) Hunter77!

dcBear78

I always wear earplugs, but it has nothing to do with my TBR exhaust. The wind noise is the worst thing for motorbike riders. I read somewhere it is at a particular pitch that cause hearing loss easily.

Add to this such a long journey with an open face helmet, which I am sure very few here can relate... I certainly can't.

I also find the TBR to be quieter at highway speeds too. It is the low revs, putting around town it seems to be extremely loud. Or maybe I am just going slow enough to be able to hear myself?

I have annual hearing tests for my work and my hearing hasn't deteriorated one bit.

Fizzer6R

Db numbers aside, just a sound observation - it is louder to your ear since it's located closer (underneath vs more towards end of bike with normal exhaust) to you riding.

I have a Two Bros Full Exhaust on the FZ6R and also aftermarket on my ZX-10R and I'd say it's kinda odd for a 600 to sound louder than a 1000 with triple times the HP

spleakz0r

Thanks for the replies guys.

I ordered a pair of custom silicon ear plugs today, which I should hopefully receive within a week to a week and a half.

I've also ordered a P1X tip and should hopefully receive it by the end of the week.

I'm hoping these two items combined with my new full-face helmet will reduce the amount of sound exposure to something that won't cause damage to my hearing.

Once I fit everything, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

With regards to the tinnitus:

Last night was actually the first night that the ringing seemed to have improved. It didn't seem to be as noticeable whilst I was trying to sleep, but then today whilst I was getting my ears moulded for the custom ear plugs it still seemed as prevalent as ever.

It seems as if having ear plugs in my ears (which obviously makes it way more noticeable) may have aggrevated it again? :confused:

I was feeling a little hopeful today that it was beginning to go away, but now it just seems to be exactly the same as it was before.

BoneJj

Thanks for the replies guys.

I ordered a pair of custom silicon ear plugs today, which I should hopefully receive within a week to a week and a half.

I've also ordered a P1X tip and should hopefully receive it by the end of the week.

I'm hoping these two items combined with my new full-face helmet will reduce the amount of sound exposure to something that won't cause damage to my hearing.

Once I fit everything, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

With regards to the tinnitus:

Last night was actually the first night that the ringing seemed to have improved. It didn't seem to be as noticeable whilst I was trying to sleep, but then today whilst I was getting my ears moulded for the custom ear plugs it still seemed as prevalent as ever.

It seems as if having ear plugs in my ears (which obviously makes it way more noticeable) may have aggrevated it again? :confused:

I was feeling a little hopeful today that it was beginning to go away, but now it just seems to be exactly the same as it was before.
I hope those adds help reduce teh volume for you, as for the ear plugs aggravating things, no, that's not the case. What the thing with that is, is just that you are now noticing and can pay attention to it more.... I know this because when I wear ear plugs I get the same problem.... It's like trying to take a test in a quiet room, it makes it really difficult to concentrate as the ringing will start to over power the thoughts about the test. It's a royal pain in the butt. I know because every time I go to take a test at the college I get this problem. I'm still working to get them to allow me to wear white noise headphones so that I can concentrate while testing. I've come to hate the quiet....

spleakz0r

I hope those adds help reduce teh volume for you, as for the ear plugs aggravating things, no, that's not the case. What the thing with that is, is just that you are now noticing and can pay attention to it more.... I know this because when I wear ear plugs I get the same problem.... It's like trying to take a test in a quiet room, it makes it really difficult to concentrate as the ringing will start to over power the thoughts about the test. It's a royal pain in the butt. I know because every time I go to take a test at the college I get this problem. I'm still working to get them to allow me to wear white noise headphones so that I can concentrate while testing. I've come to hate the quiet....
Wow, that sounds so bad. After experiencing the same thing for only a week, I couldn't imagine having to deal with it forever. :(

Thankfully, it feels as if my ears have began improving the past couple of days. I can't begin to explain how relieved I feel!

Originally they were feeling quite sensitive to noise and whenever it was even a little bit quiet the ringing would be very prevalent. Sleeping in particular was a nightmare.

Whilst they're by no means back to normal, it does feel as if the ringing has become less prevalent/noticeable, particularly whilst trying to sleep.

I'm just hoping it isn't me subconsciously getting used to it and learning to deal with it better, but I'm a little more optimistic that it will pass now.

I'll let you guys know how it goes over the next few days. I'm hoping it gets back to a point where wearing ear plugs won't be hell.

I've got my full-face helmet and will soon have my custom ear plugs and P1X tip, which should hopefully save my hearing once I begin riding again.

BoneJj

to be honest, you just learn to deal with it. I wish it would go away, suposidly there is a surgery that can help but it's not 100% and there is also other meds that can help with it as well. I'm actually supposed to be trying out some of the meds later this month so that I can try to get some relief from it. It's annoying but I'm kind of used to it and hopefully the meds will give me some relief for a while or at least at times so that I can concentrate on tests, I'm old and going back to school, lol.

I do need to get a set of those custom ear plugs though, I've just been using the cheap rubber ones, they work well but could be better...

spleakz0r

to be honest, you just learn to deal with it. I wish it would go away, suposidly there is a surgery that can help but it's not 100% and there is also other meds that can help with it as well. I'm actually supposed to be trying out some of the meds later this month so that I can try to get some relief from it. It's annoying but I'm kind of used to it and hopefully the meds will give me some relief for a while or at least at times so that I can concentrate on tests, I'm old and going back to school, lol.
Well it's by no means back to how it was, but it does definitely seem to have improved a little. My ears feel less sensitive and the ringing seems less prevalent, but both are definitely still there.

I'm hoping it's not just me getting used to it, but I feel fairly confident there has been some improvement which makes me a little more hopeful that over the course of the next week or two it will improve more.

The most irritating thing about it is no one can give you a definitive answer. It's always "It could go away, or it could stay. It just depends how extensive the damage is and how unlucky you are."
I do need to get a set of those custom ear plugs though, I've just been using the cheap rubber ones, they work well but could be better...
I'll let you know how they are. The place I went to supposedly make some of the best ones and the person has actually customised them a little to make them more suitable for motorbike riders.

What im dreading the most is that the tinnitus doesn't improve to a point where wearing them is comfortable. Last time I tried on ear plugs the ringing was so noticeable it almost gave me a headache and made me feel slightly disorientated.