Track day

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

bmw675

I do see a few at the track. Definetly make it out to one if you can. You'll learn more about riding in one weekend than you can riding a couple thousand miles on the street.

What part of Iowa are in, and how far would you consider "close"?

Fizzer6R

yes do a Track day if at all possible, you'll never be the same, nor ride on the street the same, will change you (for the better) forever!

Chucker

I do 4-6 track days per year. I found the sport touring tires to be a bit of a challenge, as they were melting and getting a little greasy after a few laps. Higher performance tires make the world of difference, along with upgrading the suspension to proper spring rates for your weight. I also remove the sidestand for the track as it hits ground in almost every left turn. The FZ6R is a great track bike if you just want to have some fun as the broad powerband makes it easy and smooth (smooth = fast).

JonKerr

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Chucker

When you remove the side stand, do you just unplug the kill switch or do you have to pull the fuse for it?
When you remove the stand, you need to remove the spring and a little clip thingy that the spring connects to. The kill switch is actuated by putting the stand down, so with the stand removed, the kill switch is in the "run" position. No need to do anything else.

The first time I did this I only had a rear stand with me. It was a bit of a pain to roll up on the bike, get off, reach for the rear stand and put it under the bike. Almost dropped it once. I picked up a chock after that and it's nice to just roll up and pop the front wheel in the chock.

Chucker

Would be so nice if we had tracks closer. But they're so far out there. Chuckwalla is 3hrs away. Auto Club is 2hrs away and the track days there are generally more expensive.
I'm lucky. I've got 2 tracks a little over an hour away and 2 tracks around 2-1/2 hrs away. I've kind of reserved myself to the one track that's an hour away as I've done a couple of days when it rained, and it sucks to pay the money and get reduced track time. Last year I went to Shannonville once, which is 2-1/2 hr away. It started pouring at lunch and I ended up getting in four 15 minute sessions for $180. Then I had to come home right through the middle of Toronto during rush hour. I picked that day because the forecast called for full sun and no rain, and then there were isolated showers, and 1 downpour, that were isolated in Shannonville.

I just found a group that does open trackdays once a month at Cayuga (Toronto Motorsports Park), which is an hour away. It's $175 and they have a limited number of riders with no groups. You decide when you go on the track and how long you stay out there. They only shut down for lunch, and accidents of course. I think the chances of rain completely ruining the day are a lot less in that scenario.

latony007

id love to do a track day, however if I had to add a full leather suit and new tires I think it would put the price tag a little too high. I have done Autoclub speedway in a stock car, that was a fricken blast felt like I was in a rocket ship and was still only doing like 150 compared to the 200 pros run.

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited: